Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #21
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: question about glucose SCREENING test...

All of the above stuff - the fact that different offices have different "cut-offs" for acceptable blood sugar levels, the fact that some offices allow you to move while others don't, and the idea that they are having you chug probably more sugar than you would EVER consume in a single meal (and for some people who don't eat much sugar, an entire DAY!) - are the reasons I think the whole test is completely bogus and a load of crock.

I realize GD is real, but I firmly believe that it's WAAAAY over-diagnosed in perfectly healthy mothers for all of the above reasons.

Advertisement

Last edited by Kiliki; 10-06-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #22
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
All of the above stuff - the fact that different offices have different "cut-offs" for acceptable blood sugar levels, the fact that some offices allow you to move while others don't, and the idea that they are having you chug probably more sugar than you would EVER consume in a single meal (and for some people who don't eat much sugar, and entire DAY!) - are the reasons I think the whole test is completely bogus and a load of crock.

I realize GD is real, but I firmly believe that it's WAAAAY over-diagnosed in perfectly healthy mothers for all of the above reasons.
I think if you just moved forward the test date by a week or two, a TON more people would fail. Like I said, I had an extra test (later than you would normally have one) just because the other office didn't transfer the results over. And that is the one I failed by 2 points. Normally I would not have had to take a test that week, and if the results were faxed or mailed over, I would have never been diagnosed.

Last edited by *Peanut*; 10-06-2010 at 09:59 AM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #23
Vespertina
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I don't even take the glucose tolerance test. I think it's really, REALLY unreliable. I won't go into that too much unless you want me to. I think you are being PERFECTLY reasonable. Rather than the glucose test, I've just done random finger sticks at different times - when just waking up, just after a meal, just before bed, etc. IMO, that's more reliable and accurate than the glucose tolerance testing.
This. I declined it when it was offered to me at 10 weeks with ds1. My midwife checked my glucose with a glucometer at 31 weeks and all was good. My CPM with ds2 never brought it up, but I did test my glucose semi-regularly throughout my pregnancy.

I don't buy into "GD" as a disease. IGT, yes, but not this diabetes thing. The current research doesn't support routine GTT. IGT is not in any way like long standing diabetes. I've corresponded with Marden Wagner and Henci Goer on the topic in the past.

Vespertina is offline   Reply With Quote