Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Weight gain issues at five months?

LO had her 5 month appointment today. She's 26 inches and 13 pounds, 2 ounces. That puts her in about the 10th percentile for weight to height, two months ago she was n the 13th percentile. I'm a little concerned. She nurses a lot, I make tons of milk, and she seems otherwise happy and healthy. I didn't get a chance to talk to the doctor about it because the office was swamped. Does anyone else have small babies and has it been an issue?

Advertisement

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: Abbie
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weight gain issues at five months?

I do! Mine is 2 and just 20 lbs. Some babies are small. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. If she is happy and healthy, kudos! Mine is smart and perfect...just lean.
Girasol | Calin Bleu | Natibaby | BabyHawk | Sakura Bloom | Beco Baby | ERGObaby | Boba
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

My DS is 4.5 months and 10.11 right now. My ped wanted me to start giving him formula but I'm gonna hold off for now since he's happy and content and hitting milestones just fine
runzbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My pedi is of the mind that as long as they're growing (however small the increments may be), they should be fine. BF babies often grow much slower than the charts suggest (especially as they tend to be based on babies who are supplemented partially or entirely on formula. Google "breastfed baby growth chart" and see where she falls.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
FluffyBum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My LO is also petite, in the 30th percentile but my PD also believes that BF is the best way to go. They are going to be slimmer because breastmilk is much easier to digest and increases their metabolism. If your baby is happy, hitting milestones and looks healthy then there should be no worries. Remember that every baby is different and grows differently and remember that what you eat your baby eats. Thats advice my mom gave me, I increased my lean proteins and good fats and my LO gained a little more weight than usual.
FluffyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
iowarn
Registered Users

Yes! My son is in the 52% for length, but he is only in about the 12% for weight. You would never guess it looking at him though...people even comment that he's a "big" baby. At his 6 month appointment, his pediatrician was a little concerned and wanted him to come back for a weight check in a month. She just wanted to check because at his 4 month check, he actually was near the 45% for weight. This was the ONLY time he's been that high since he was born, and I'm assuming he must have just had a growth spurt because now that is the weight that doesn't fall in his curve. The rest of his weights all follow a nice curve that hovers between the 10-15%. He's a perfectly happy, healthy, ACTIVE guy who loves to eat but does not love to sit still! He has hit all his milestones ahead of time and definitely doesn't look chubby, but he's not skinny either. Obviously, his weight hasn't been a problem, and from what I understand, it is only a concern if a baby has been following along a nice curve and then all of a sudden falls off and continues to fall. Even then, my pediatrician said if they are happy, active, sleeping well, and hitting milestones, they don't automatically worry unless there is an increase in spitting up or a marked decrease in appetite or loss of interest in food. I don't think you have to worry much. Going from the 13% to the 10% isn't a huge drop.
iowarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks eveyone! I knew that conventional growth charts weren't as accurate for EBF babies, but I didn't know there were EBF charts. She's closer to the 50th percentile on the WHOs chart.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
REFRESHING CHANGE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 6month old that only weighs in around 12lbs. She was 5 weeks early and I was starting to freak out about weight but like the rest of the mommas said: hitting milestones and being healthy and content count. PLUS, I noticed that when she is really eating well, I get a good BM at least once a day and I only get concerned if I go more than three w/o her having one.

My other DD is almost two and weighs in at 28lbs. she was in the 10th percentile FOREVER!! but she eats like a trucker. don't worry and I tend to poo poo pediatricians who freak out over weight gain and try to force supplementation. If anything, at 5months, I might introduce some rice cereal once a day.
REFRESHING CHANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
ijavarela
Registered Users

My 3rd baby had weight gain issues. At 1 year he was only 16lbs. They had us rake him in for testing only to find out that he's small like me. DUH! That's what I told the dr I thought it was. I have 2 small kids & 2 tall kids.
ijavarela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
an_aurora
Registered Users

This was my son, too. He was born 50th % for height and 50th % for weight, at 6 months was 25% for height and 10% for weight, and at a year was under the 3rd % for both height and weight. His doctor wasn't/isn't concerned at all, because my 3 yo was the same way, and my husband was tiny until he was 17 or so (didn't hit 100 lbs until senior year lol!).
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote