Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Anyone ever have to take perscription pain killers in pregnancy...?

I was just wondering if anyone HAD to take perscription painkillers in pregnancy, I have been taking percocet since about 26 weeks, I have herniated discs in my back as well as a pinched sciatic nerve, and its BEYOND painful, even with the pain meds, some days its almost unberable I know that percocet is a class "b" drug in pergnancy and has been used for years, but I am still scared. From what I have read, and the doctors have told me, one of the only concerns is that if taken clost to delivery (not sure how close) it can cause breathing issues when the baby is born. So I guess I will have to stop taking them around 34 weeks or so, but I know that the pain is going to get WORSE, not better, the bigger I get

Any advice or anyone BTDT?

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone ever have to take perscription pain killers in pregnancy...?

Yes, I have KNOWN people who have had to do this, and their LO's came out JUST fine. The big issue though is weaning your baby off the meds which may take a few weeks in the NICU.

BTW, some of the 'dangerous' drugs that aren't supposed to be taken during pregnancy are dangerous at doses 30 times the normal dose. So they just say it is not safe at all, to be on the safe side.

I also have chronic pain, but stopped with my pain meds when I was pregnant and BF'ing. (I BF for 9 months.) And it was pure HELL to not take anything for the pain. I suffered, my marriage suffered, I was unhappy all the time, and I did not enjoy my pregnancy at all. I hate to say this, but at the end of my pregnancy, I thought about hurting myself so they would have to induce me or something - the pain was THAT intolerable. Plus, you never know when you will get any relief. (That is why certain pains, like labor pain doesn't phase me as much - I know it will end after my LO comes out.)

You are prescribed it, so don't feel too bad about taking it. You do not want to get to a place, where you are thinking of doing something crazy, like hurting yourself because physically and psychologically you cannot take it anymore. And yes, chronic pain wears you down psychologically just as much as physically. Plus, in your third trimester, when your back and neck REALLY start to hurt, you will be MISERABLE. So, take it for as long as you can, if your doctor thinks it is ok.

ETA: I think they can give you other meds when you get closer to your due date! And for what it is worth - tons of stress (and yes, pain causes stress AND depression) is not good for your developing baby either. I think this is one reason why DS had a low birth weight for me being diabetic.

Last edited by *Peanut*; 10-05-2010 at 03:59 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
jraejohnson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no advice you do what you have to do. however, if it were me i don't think i'd take it, just that "small" risk and the unknown is enough for me.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
AdeliaGreen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraejohnson View Post
no advice you do what you have to do. however, if it were me i don't think i'd take it, just that "small" risk and the unknown is enough for me.

I've been considering pain meds but didn't know of any 'safe' during pregnancy.

'All Bugged Out' stuffed bug pattern! Now available to purchase at You Can Make This!
Bloggity... blog... blog... blog... Did you know I blog?
AdeliaGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i took some when 27-28 weeks with dd due to a car accident, she's fine but i didnt take them long term so prob not too helpful.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also, when you are in intense pain, your blood pressure goes up. Normally I am pretty low 100/70 or so. When I am in pain it is usually 150/98 or so. That is not good for the baby either.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
isda1979
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was on percs when I conceived DS (from a hand injury) and then from about 19 wks until the day before I delievered I had to have weekly nerve block injections to help cope with the pain from the migraine I had since 13 weeks. I was also on demerol & morphine (which are both opium based) for about 6 wks (between wks 13-19) and had to take a massive dose of steroids at 13 wks as well, just can't recall the name of it. None of these drugs have been pinpointed to be the exact cause of the difficulties my son is having now (at least not yet) but like you, I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. The only thing that they had told me was the Motherrisk at Sick Kids confirmed that if I took the steroids earlier in pregnancy my son could have a cleft palate and that if i continued with the demoral or morphine up to delivery that my son could be born addicted and would have to be weaned in the NICU. Thankfully he did not have that experience, although he was in NICU for his health problems.
Not quite sure my post is reassuring, but I do remember the docs saying that percs are very similar to tylenol in composition so that is why they consider it 'safer' then other drugs. You can always call MOtherrisk and they can give you some info I found them to be so helpful!
isda1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeliaGreen View Post

I've been considering pain meds but didn't know of any 'safe' during pregnancy.
As far as I know,and from all my reasearch, percocet is safe to take, it dosn't cause any damage to a growing fetus, its non teratogenic, those are the things that pregnant moms need to stay away from, they cause damage at the cellular leval, ie, birth defects. They have been used for many, many years to treat pain in pergnancy. Still though, i just feel bad.

not taking anything (for me) is not an option (I wish it was) the pain is too sever and my BP did go up and the stress from the pain is just as bad as the pain itself. and regualr tylenol was not working at all.

Talk to your Doctor, there are definalty safe ways to treat pain in pregnancy.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren420 View Post
As far as I know,and from all my reasearch, percocet is safe to take, it dosn't cause any damage to a growing fetus, its non teratogenic, those are the things that pregnant moms need to stay away from, they cause damage at the cellular leval, ie, birth defects. They have been used for many, many years to treat pain in pergnancy. Still though, i just feel bad.

not taking anything (for me) is not an option (I wish it was) the pain is too sever and my BP did go up and the stress from the pain is just as bad as the pain itself. and regualr tylenol was not working at all.

Talk to your Doctor, there are definalty safe ways to treat pain in pregnancy.
When my herniated disc acts up it feels like I have a knife in my shoulder blade and EVERY time I move my neck it feels like someone is digging and twisting the knife in even more. I cannot even tilt my head or pick up a cup of water to take pain meds (on my own). It is that bad. I thought being induced with pitocin was about a 7 on the pain scale, and having a herniated disc is a 12!

The funny thing is that some pain meds that are weaker are even more unsafe. And no, Tylenol won't even touch the pain. I think steroids would really help you, but I am sure you cannot take that right now, which is too bad. I think steroids inhibit growth in the fetus.

Last edited by *Peanut*; 10-05-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isda1979 View Post
I was on percs when I conceived DS (from a hand injury) and then from about 19 wks until the day before I delievered I had to have weekly nerve block injections to help cope with the pain from the migraine I had since 13 weeks. I was also on demerol & morphine (which are both opium based) for about 6 wks (between wks 13-19) and had to take a massive dose of steroids at 13 wks as well, just can't recall the name of it. None of these drugs have been pinpointed to be the exact cause of the difficulties my son is having now (at least not yet) but like you, I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. The only thing that they had told me was the Motherrisk at Sick Kids confirmed that if I took the steroids earlier in pregnancy my son could have a cleft palate and that if i continued with the demoral or morphine up to delivery that my son could be born addicted and would have to be weaned in the NICU. Thankfully he did not have that experience, although he was in NICU for his health problems.
Not quite sure my post is reassuring, but I do remember the docs saying that percs are very similar to tylenol in composition so that is why they consider it 'safer' then other drugs. You can always call MOtherrisk and they can give you some info I found them to be so helpful!
I have called mother risk, they are AWSOME! Percocet is alot less "storng" (for lack of a better word) than morphine or demerol, and they do consider it a safe option for treating pain. The main ingreadiant is acetominophen, just like in tylenol, the actual narcotic is a very low dose. Even after all the reasearch, talking to doctors, I just feel bad, like I am a horrible mom But I don't know what else to do. I am going to be "weaing" (I hate that word to, makes me feel like an addict) starting in 3 weeks, so that the risk at birth is greatley reduced though.......