Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone ever have to take perscription pain killers in pregnancy...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeliaGreen View Post
Awww thanks Lauren I've learned to deal with the pain for the most part outside of pregnancy, but it's just so much right now I think I need to take something. Not just for my sanity but also because I can't do anything with my DD or DH most of the time due to pain. It's not fair to them.

I will make an appt to see my doc about percocet and see what he says.
That was my biggest problem, I have a DH and 2 little ones to care for and NO help at all, so being laied out on the bed is just not an option (though I wish it was~!) And like my Doc said, if the percs take the pain from an 8 to a 5 (on the pain scale) then that is better than nothing!

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #22
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to take prescription muscle relaxers during the 3rd trimester with my son. I have TMJ and could not open my mouth and was in horrible pain. I don't know what class drug it was but I do know they had a really hard time finding something that was safe.

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #23
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren420 View Post
That was my biggest problem, I have a DH and 2 little ones to care for and NO help at all, so being laied out on the bed is just not an option (though I wish it was~!) And like my Doc said, if the percs take the pain from an 8 to a 5 (on the pain scale) then that is better than nothing!
I think the other thing that people don't understand is that opiates are prescribed for pain management for a couple of reasons: to get you out of pain, and also to help with your mood. That 'euphoric' feeling that people get is what they want you to feel. I mean, when you are in a lot of pain, you never feel euphoric, BUT doctors who deal with pain management know that when you are in a lot of pain you suffer psychologically. And opiates are one way of elevating your mood so you don't get depressed and so you do feel like getting out of bed and you do WANT to do things. Chronic pain really changes the chemistry in your brain, and how your brain processes things. I don't know if I explained that well.

Last edited by *Peanut*; 10-06-2010 at 10:08 AM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #24
AdeliaGreen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been lucky with the two female massage therapists I've had. Very very strong for women and they stay off their tips. Have you had active release therapy done?

'All Bugged Out' stuffed bug pattern! Now available to purchase at You Can Make This!
Bloggity... blog... blog... blog... Did you know I blog?
AdeliaGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #25
AdeliaGreen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren420 View Post
And like my Doc said, if the percs take the pain from an 8 to a 5 (on the pain scale) then that is better than nothing!
Definetely. I often get up to about a 9 at some point during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKylie View Post
I had to take prescription muscle relaxers during the 3rd trimester with my son. I have TMJ and could not open my mouth and was in horrible pain. I don't know what class drug it was but I do know they had a really hard time finding something that was safe.
Does that have any effect on your uterine muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post
I think the other thing that people don't understand is that opiates are prescribed for pain management for a couple of reasons: to get you out of pain, and also to help with your mood. That 'euphoric' feeling that people get is what they want you to feel.
Hand me some opiates! I need a mood enhancer for sure!

'All Bugged Out' stuffed bug pattern! Now available to purchase at You Can Make This!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #26
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeliaGreen View Post
I've been lucky with the two female massage therapists I've had. Very very strong for women and they stay off their tips. Have you had active release therapy done?
Here is what I have tried:
- Acupuncture
- Chiropractors
- Message therapy
- The list of exercises (they give you at the doctor's office)
- mild exercise (swimming)
- and a whole list of medications (within a month I had 2 toradol shots, my last one was 2 days ago)

Right now I am in pain management. And I am going to start PT. I kind of just lived with it for years, because my lifestyle allowed for it. So, when I was in law school all I did was sit or lay in bed and read. When you are in law school you can read 20 hours a day and still not get everything done. Plus, I was in a studio, and living like a beggar. So, I would make PB sandwiches and use paper plates. I did not have a huge house to clean. I did not have anyone else to worry about. If I wasn't feeling well I would just lay in bed.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #27
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, my pain management doctor said that is exactly why he was prescribing them to me - to help with my mood. He asked about how I was feeling and my mood (because of all the pain) and I just broke down crying. It really affects your life in ways that others just can't understand. My ex and I broke up because of my pain. I would just want to lay in bed whenever I wasn't at work. He thought I was lazy and boring.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #28
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was given pain killers when pregnant a couple times. I think the first was with #3 because I had horrible migraines and they gave me Codeine for them. I took 1/2 of one and felt so sick and dizzy I just couldn't do that again. So with #4 I had really bad migraines again and my Peri gave me an Rx for Vicodin. I took 1/2 of one at work when I felt a bad one coming on and I had to go lay in my car for an hour! I felt like my head was filled with helium or something and felt all floaty and weird. I did NOT like that and never took that while pregnant again. When I was pregnant with #5 I had a similar problem. I was in the hospital with horrible migraines, severe vomitting with bleeding (to the point of rupturing a vessel in my throat which now bleeds EVERY time I vomit) and I was only 9wks. They gave me an IV with phenegren and a little bit of Morphine or Nubain or something. Later on they gave me an Rx for Fioricet but then made me see a drug counselor for it!? It was kinda weird. I told them I really didn't understand why, when they gave me the Rx, they're acting like it's an issue!? I only took them when I absolutely had to. If I could avoid the migraines altogether I would have but obviously out of my control. I had 4 other kids to care for, 2 home FT and trying to work PT.
I wouldn't take anything unless I absolutely have to, so it's really a personal choice.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #29
AdeliaGreen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Here is what I have tried:
- Acupuncture
- Chiropractors
- Message therapy
- The list of exercises (they give you at the doctor's office)
- mild exercise (swimming)
- and a whole list of medications (within a month I had 2 toradol shots, my last one was 2 days ago)
Sounds like me. The best thing that ever worked was seeing a naturopathic doctor. I was on vitamins, supplements, homeopathic remedies and a strict diet change. I was also diagnosed with Candida, so their treatment really helped to lower the inflammation in my body. I also lost about 15lbs of water weight.

Quote:
It really affects your life in ways that others just can't understand.
Did you ever get the "well, you don't look sick" reaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
I wouldn't take anything unless I absolutely have to, so it's really a personal choice.
Definetely. You don't know how bad someone else's pain is so you can never even put yourself in their shoes.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #30
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I get a lot of, "Well you don't look sick", and "But you're too young to have all that pain." Like I said, I didn't cry, scream, make faces, or anything when I was induced and the contractions were VERY strong and PAINFUL. I also was able to do everything for myself when I was going through that. That doesn't mean it didn't hurt. But it takes like 5 times the energy to do things when you are in pain. It is exhausting!

Also, you don't have to be in a ton of pain to have it affect your life. I would rather have a lot of pain once in a while than moderate pain every single day. For example, if you get a migraine once or twice a year it sucks, but it doesn't affect the way you live your life. Now if you had a moderate headache every single day, 24 hours a day, for YEARS, it just completely wears you down and changes your life.