Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: cervical check & dialation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
You were in the cervix when your finger slid in right? Yes mushy cervix is good i think that shows effacement but not sure. Only time i felt mine was when i was 1 cm and 50% effaced I was 32 weeks when that happened but was probably 35 or 36 weeks when I actually felt. It does sound like dialation though. BTW my DD was born at 37 weeks 3 days after a totally of 11 weeks of preterm labor and 5 weeks dialated some so means nothing really. My water broke day before and I was still 1 cm when I got to hospital 30 or so min later though by then I think I was 75% effaced..hard to remember 7 almost 8 years later.
At my 32wk (going by doc date) appt i was 50% effaced with no dilation. Since then i know she has dropped 2 more times. So i also feel like i have a cantalope between my legs. I also feel like the waters are going to pop. Just feeling from the outside, i can tell she is way low.

Ds#2 was born at 35wks, with pre-term labor starting at 24wks. My water broke on it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti View Post
i always wonder why people check when it doesnt really matter?
like a bad habit passed on from ob's
unless your just playing "doctor" lol
i checked, because i don't want to call the midwife and then get admitted into the hospital. Our dates are differ by 2 wks (mine:36wks/doc:34wks tomorrow) My biggest fear is to get stuck there. So mw said i had to make it to 37wks (their date) to be able to labor at home; and that is still almost 4wks out.

DH and I haven't DTD or any type of "play" since about 20wks; so the only thing that has been in me is the sono stick to check cervical length (x2), the mw fingers at 32wk appt and then my own REALLY skinny longer finger the other day.

Advertisement

Last edited by eragsdale; 10-07-2010 at 08:16 AM.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i know but as you have heard many women say you can be dialted at 2 or even 4 for weeks so it really doesnt mean that labor will be on its way any faster if you are dialted

sorry you havent been able to dtd since 20 weeks i would be having honey do these"cervical checks"
hope you make it to 37 weeks
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti View Post
i always wonder why people check when it doesnt really matter?
like a bad habit passed on from ob's
unless your just playing "doctor" lol
I always checked because I'm curious/ fascinated by what my body can do. Plus it's my cervix I'll touch it whenever I feel like. YKWIM? Now it's a whole different story talking about a dr, in a hospital.... stay away from me with your germy fingers thank you very much.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
LilOutlaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah I refuse cervical checks from my OB too.. they are useless. But I check sometimes out of curiosity and fascination... I labored 26hrs with DD and never got past 2cm. I labored 18hrs with DS and never dilated at all...

So the fact that I can tell there is ANY progress at all is reassuring hehe not that it matters since I am having another c/s but still... fascinating.
LilOutlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilOutlaws View Post
yeah I refuse cervical checks from my OB too.. they are useless. But I check sometimes out of curiosity and fascination... I labored 26hrs with DD and never got past 2cm. I labored 18hrs with DS and never dilated at all...

So the fact that I can tell there is ANY progress at all is reassuring hehe not that it matters since I am having another c/s but still... fascinating.
did u see the post on our nov ddc about cervical scar tissue??

i dont have any scar tissue but with my 1st 2 i got checked the day before(41weeks) and was a 2 took 19 hours of steady cntx every 5min. just to get to 3
Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
LilOutlaws
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't see that, will go look for it!

My issue I think was with DD she was tangled (neck, one arm, opposite leg wrapped in her cord) so she couldn't out enough pressure to cause dilation.

DS was a weird situation involving my liver and stuff but they both ended in c/s.. I think I would've eventually been complete 10cm if given a chance but who knows!
LilOutlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:37 AM   #17
Mama'sPocket
Registered Users
Formerly: LizzieAG
seller

My Mood:

All moms who have previously had a baby are 1 cm (or a fingertip) dialated for the last trimester of pregnancy. So being able to slide your finger in, is totally normal and is not a sign that anything laborish is happing.

I also didn't get your diagram at all. Sorry.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #18
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama'sPocket View Post
All moms who have previously had a baby are 1 cm (or a fingertip) dialated for the last trimester of pregnancy. So being able to slide your finger in, is totally normal and is not a sign that anything laborish is happing.

I also didn't get your diagram at all. Sorry.
haha...don't feel bad
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #19
jennyw_98
Registered Users
seller

From what I understand, dialation is not as accurate at predicting labor as the position of the cervix. When giving birth the cervix will move from posterior to anterior. Here is a brief article (but a great website) about cervical changes:

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/bir...ress/exam.html
jennyw_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #20
jennyw_98
Registered Users
seller

From what I understand, dialation is not as accurate at predicting labor as the position of the cervix. When giving birth the cervix will move from posterior to anterior. Here is a brief article (but a great website) about cervical changes:

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/bir...ress/exam.html
jennyw_98 is offline   Reply With Quote