Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #11
kristini2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Keeping diapers for next baby QUESTION

I kept about 2 dozen diapers that my DD2 had outgrown (1 dozen I made, 1 dozen were a brand that isn't around anymore and that doesn't have a great resale value, but were among my favorite fitteds on dd2). I pulled them out about a month ago and 2 had lost their elastic. I'm a bit worried that more will be "dead" by the time the new baby grows into mediums, but at this point I'm planning on just keeping them and seeing what happens. Someone told me if you pull them out and wash them periodically that should help the elastic, but I don't know why that would help?!?

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
mimid
Registered Users
seller

This is what I'm thinking of doing. I'm going to vacuum seal it and then every 4 months I'll wash them. Hoping it'll work!
mimid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
Jo&Co
Registered Users

My Mood:

The ones we had saved from our first to our second are fine. No elastic issues. I just took out my KL 0s to have a look at them, (they were new for our 2nd baby) and they look perfect. Elastic is great! We used them for 4 months, and then I put them (clean obviously) in a cardboard box in a closet.

I don't know what would make the elastic go dead. I would think extra washing would make it worse, wouldn't it? The only thing I can think of is to keep them from extreme temperature changes. And dry. Otherwise, if it's quality elastic in the first place, it should be fine to store it. That's a big reason I use cloth diapers -- to pass them down baby to baby!

Last edited by Jo&Co; 03-07-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Jo&Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #14
jee_jee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mine did well! I had some old style zippidy flannels and OS motherease diapers from my now 4 year old son and just started using them again for my 5 month old. and b4 that believe it or not, I used those same motherease for my 6 year old too when he was a baby! those things are at least 6 yo but they have held up wonderfully
jee_jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
My2punkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I saved some stuff, not much from my dd to use w/ds and haven't noticed any problems yet (though I haven't gotten to use it yet, just looking at it). They are stored in a rubber tote type of container in ds's closet which is not too hot or cold. B/c I really like girly things for my dd and boyish things for ds much of her outgrown dipes get sold to buy new stuff for him. Since elastic can 'die' this is probably the best thing to do between kids imo.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
triscuitsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

*bumping this up* to see if anyone has ideas on why this happens with diapers and not clothes... that is a good point.

I want to save some of mine but want to know how to minimize risk.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #17
brayg
Registered Users

I really don't know, other than maybe because it's nearly impossible to get *all* residue out of the diapers and sitting unused gives it a chance to eat away at it? I really don't know. Diapers are subjected to a whole lot more than regular clothing (worn and washed more, detergents, heat of a dryer, urine to break it down, etc), so maybe that's part of it?

I didn't keep a ton, but I did have a couple of small FB's, a few First Class Baby dipes, a Luke's Drawer's, etc. They were all quality diapers, not just cheapo ones, kwim?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #18
cynbu
Registered Users
seller

It may be the type of elastic that's used. There are various types and some may hold up better than others. I know there is a plastic type of elastic that is used and maybe it becomes weakend or brittle when stored.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #19
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think part of the issue is that sometimes the elastic gets stretched when it is still hot and that'll break down some of the fibers.

Abby's NB are still fine and will be used for this next kiddo. But then, there's not a whole lotta' space in between.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:44 PM   #20
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm storing mine right in his room- I have a steralize plastic bin of drawers in his closet and all his medium FBs and the inserts are in there. I figure,if they are in the same environment as his "currently being used diapers" it should be fine, right?Maybe i"ll take them out and wash them every few months.