Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
FallBabies
Registered Users

Possible Pink Eye and Birthday Weekend- AAH!

I babysit a little boy, and his bday party is this weekend. Today, ds J has an eye that is looking more and more irritated as the day is going on, and there is lots of white gunk that keeps reappearing in the tear duct.

He goes to preschool, so I'm sure the chances are high that he could be developing pink eye.

I'm not sure if I should call the little boy's mom or not. He looks totally fine, but I'm sure has been exposed (obviously.)
I'm worried that if he gets it, he'll get sick the day of his party and have to cancel (it's his 1st, and a big party) b/c he'll be contagious. If she can get him on antibiotics early, at least maybe he won't be contagious that day.

But, I don't even know if it is pink eye or not. Should I call her now? Is there anything they can do for just a possible exposure? I hate to worry her for nothing, but I also feel terrible that he might be sick at his bday party.

Any advice? I'm obviously trying to keep them apart, but I'm SURE he has been exposed by playing with toys.

ETA: Her son does not show any symptoms as of yet, and neither do my other kids.

Advertisement

Last edited by FallBabies; 10-07-2010 at 11:26 AM.
FallBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Re: Possible Pink Eye and Birthday Weekend- AAH!

I would call, just to let her know to watch for symptoms. But it isn't a sure thing that he'll get it anyway. Other kids in my son's daycare room have come down with it and not passed it along to him. I also had pinkeye once, but didn't pass it along to DH or anyone else in the family. Doesn't hurt to let the other mom know about the exposure, though.

ETA: I really don't think any doctors would put a 1 yr old on antibiotics unless there were symptoms. Pinkeye can be viral or bacterial anyway - our ped's policy is to try and wait it out as long as the symptoms aren't too bad. There's really nothing to be done other than limit exposure and watch for symptoms.

Last edited by isaacsmum; 10-07-2010 at 11:36 AM.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
teal
Registered Users

Some company just recently put out OTC pinkeye drops. I saw a commercial for it - it's probably in the pharmacy section. You can look into it and see if you think it's right for your son.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
FallBabies
Registered Users

UPDATE: I spoke with my dr. She thinks it is probably due to allergies, not pink eye. Hopefully she is right!