Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ITCHY legs

so im almost 17 weeks and my legs are soooo itchy. i make them bleed. i stopped shaving, and stopped hot showers. i just had to take a childrens benadryl which i didnt want to///but i cant take it. i go to the md tomarrow but...any ideas? i read benadryl was safe, but stuck to childrens...

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ITCHY legs

I've been really itchy during this pregnancy, as well. I'm due a little bit after you.

Can you try a warm oatmeal bath?

Also I found this. I don't know if you have any other symptoms besides the itching or not but you may want to ask your doctor about this to be safe:

http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnancy-articles/38.html
Old 10-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have such bad itchy legs during pregnancy. Below the knees on my legs will itch so bad that I make them bleed. It only happens when I'm pregnant and it goes away a little while after delivery. Anytime I've been pregnant and tell my OB about it they just look at me like I'm crazy. In the shower I turn the hot water on scolding hot and the hot water seems to help a bit. I haven't figured out why it happens but this is the third pregnancy that I've had it.
/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

weird, my ob today said take benadryl, and that skin doesnt like pregnancy
Old 10-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
sjebillings
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi, I've had cholestasis twice. It is a very serious condition. Please read into it and make sure that you don't have it. If it is untreated it is risky for both the mom and the baby. Check out the previous website but also look at www.itchymoms.com .
Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
laurajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My legs itch during this pregnancy after I shave, but it sounds like that's not your problem. A lady told me once that neem lotion helped her legs a TON. Neem is suggested for other skin issues like eczema, I think. It might be something to look into.

We are an unschooling, home birthing, breast feeding, cosleeping, cloth diapering, EC'ing, baby wearing, non vaxing, Weston A Price-diet family.
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is also PUPPS which is a rash on your lower legs and abdomen- usually that manifests later on in the pregnancy, though. There's nothing much that can be done about it, but it's not dangerous at all. I got it around 36 weeks with my daughter.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine are itchy too. It is so annoying! I'm almost 17 weeks.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

I posted about this with my last pregnancy (about 10 months ago.) I had such bad itching, it was driving me crazy! My legs were literally bleeding, full of scratch marks, I would even scratch them in my sleep!! I took Benadryl at night before bed and used Caladryl lotion during the day and sometimes a topical rash cream. Sometime right around 32 weeks, it just stopped. I was SO thankful that it finally did, it was driving me BONKERS! My OB did give me some pills to take, but I didn't feel they were safe enough to take (Adarax I think it was called?) You should look into Cholestasis of Pregnancy, see if you have any of the other symptoms. One of them it mentions is itching of the palms of the hands and bottom of the feet....I didn't have either.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
marigo
Registered Users
seller

now, if it's PUPPS, I've heard some people have really good luck with pine tar soap. They said it was important to get the kind that said creosote-free.
marigo is offline   Reply With Quote