Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He lost weight at 6.5 mths :(

Well my boy has RSV... the first time he was ever sick ..and when I bought him in .. he is only 16 pds 14 ozs.. he lost 7 ozs from the last time . Here are a few things that I thought it could be ..
1.) I had to bring my supply back after stopping nursing for 2mths..
--- after I nursed at the office.. he showed 5 ozs more ~~~
2.) He is really active... he crawls .. and pulls to stand.. and does this all day
3.) He spits up alot from crawling and moving .. so that could be something as well

OK having said all that.. the dr doesnt seem to be worried with it.. he said that it can happen .. he is sick ..and crawling..and if fine.. He also said that I dont have to feed him food.. bc he KNOWS.. I am making enough milk .. ( Like I said he weighed him B4 and after )

ANywho.. do you think I should be worried.. I mean .. 17 pds is small for a 6.5 mth old Should I give him food to help his weight.. I think I am starving him or something

Advertisement

mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
ailurus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: He lost weight at 6.5 mths :(

My dd is currently bf and 14 lbs at 7 months so 16.5 sound good to me . My ped is not worried about her size and says as long as she is doing what she should be doing not to worry...
ailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

17 lbs is not small. My girls haven't gone in for their appointment yet, but I don't expect them to weigh that much and they aren't particularly small.
If he's been sick and moving a lot that makes a big difference. Moving that much takes a lot of work for such a little kid, burns a lot of those calories off. Please don't be concerned, I'm sure your little man is fine.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I can see how that would be upsetting. I think you doc is right- he is sick and super active- and you don't need to worry. Nursing on demand is probably the best thing him. If you want to fatten him up, bring him to bd with you and let him nurse all night. Feeding him other food isn't necessary and probably won't help. If you do decide to give him some non bm food, avacados would be good- nice and high in good fat!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Tasha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't worry. My DS is 17lbs and is almost 9 months old, but he's right in the middle of his growth chart. At his 6 month appt. he hadn't shown any weight gain from his 4 month appt, so my Dr. suggested just breastfeeding him more often. DS had a growth spurt right after and gained some weight pretty quickly. Your DS could be about to have growth spurt too.
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

17 lbs isn't that small, especially if he's been sick & if he's very active. DS weighed 17.5 lbs at 6 mos (*exactly* the 50th percentile), but he only weighed 19.5 lbs at his 9 mo check-up. He eats a TON & I BF every 3 hours, but he is SUPER ACTIVE too.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think 17 lbs is AT ALL small for a 6 month old! I would call that big, LOL! My son was 18lbs at 1 year (3rd percentile) and my daughter was 16.5lbs at 1 year... so I think he's good!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is he tall? I don't think 17 lbs sounds that small, but if he's tall..he'll look a lot skinnier (which everyone knows, but I'm just saying.. )..

I don't think my 2nd was 17 lbs at 6.5mo. He was probably closer to 17lbs at 1yo.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls~Kain~Drake View Post
Is he tall? I don't think 17 lbs sounds that small, but if he's tall..he'll look a lot skinnier (which everyone knows, but I'm just saying.. )..

I don't think my 2nd was 17 lbs at 6.5mo. He was probably closer to 17lbs at 1yo.
It isnt so much what he weighs.. but that he LOST like 7 ozs I mean I didnt think they should lose anything.. sigh.. as I am saythins .. he is climbing up a chair..LOL.. he is super active.. and eats ( nurses ) every 2-3 hours at AT least 5 ozs... so I dont know.. I will just keep an eye out for him .. I hate for him to lose anything else.. my ole starvin marvin.. < where did that smiley come from ..LOL
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I think 17lbs is really good. My ds is 9 monthsd old and weighs 18lbs. He is really tall, but nothing definitely don't think he is underweight by no means!

He was EBF till about 8 months and then we started some foods. He doesn't like cereal or babyfood however. He went straight to small pieces of tablefood.

I think you are doing just fine! Sorry to hear that he has RSV. My ds has had that 2 times this winter! Thankfully he has gotten over it both times without too many problems!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote