Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy We spent our night in the ER

Last night I was cleaning the kitchen after DD went to sleep...when all of a sudden...THUD. I knew immediately what it was. Emma had fallen out of bed. I dont think I've ever run so fast in all my life. When I opened the bedroom door she was laying there, motionless. I picked her up and she was just limp like a ragdoll. I put my hand on her back and just started rubbing vigerously, and ran downstairs and dialed 9-1-1.
She came to after about 30 seconds, CRYING. When the ambulance arrived they imobilized her and rushed us over to the ER for a CAT scan and e-rays. It was horrible. She was screaming, crying, and just looking into my eyes going "MAMA!" and there was nothing I could do.
When they took her in for the CAT scan, I just collapsed in the hallway outside and cried. I was absolutely terrified.

Everything was normal on the CAT scan and x-rays. What an incredible relief. After an hour of observation they let us go.

I can't believe how down I feel on myself this morning. I feel like I completely FAILED as a mother because I let this happen. I'm always SOOOO careful! We co-sleep, but we have those bed rails installed for her on our king size bed. I was SURE she wouldnt fall out...but she managed it. I cant believe I let this happen to me sweet baby girl.

Now Im faced with the decision on whether to keep co-sleeping or not. I couldnt live with myself if this EVER happened again. But she has never slept in her crib, and I will really miss the bonding we get at night sharing the bed.

I just feel so bad....and so confused. What would you do? Would you let her keep co-sleeping?

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: We spent our night in the ER

momma, I am glad that is is alright.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
A'smommy
Registered Users

mama they will all fall sooner or later no matter how careful you are. I wouldn't give up on co-sleeping just because of that. But you might consider putting some extra padding around the bed, just in case.

Glad she's OK!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
sammy21901
Registered Users
seller

Relax Mama, it happens more than you think. Kids are also tougher than you think.

When my ds was seven mos old, he fell off our bed too. He's five now and sometimes falls off HIS bed! I would just put some pillows on the floor to cushion if she does fall.
sammy21901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First of all, you're not a bad mother and I'm glad to hear she's ok. Our dd fell out of the bed about 3 times before I decided we had to do something different for her own safety. She even rolled off of the end of the bed when we were both in there with her. And we sleep in a full size bed!

All that to say, after the last fall, I went to Target and bought an inflatable mattress to put on the floor in her room. I would lay down with her to put her to sleep and then get up and do things around the house I needed to do and then go back to bed with her. Not ideal for dh and I, but it worked for a while. She sometimes still rolled off of there, but an 8" fall isn't really harmful. I also put firm sofa pillows around the mattress in case she rolled.

At 14 mos, I decided it was time to move her back to her crib (which she'd been in from 4-6 mos). And here we are at 16 mos and she sleeps though the night finally, too!

Elisa
Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
AshersMommy
Registered Users
seller

I am glad that she is alright! I can't imagine how scared you (and her!) must have been through this ordeal.

To answer your question, the only suggestion I might have is to remove the side rail from the crib, and put it up against your bed. So you are still cosleeping, but she wouldn't be able to roll off again.

Like to read? Want something new? Come join us in the March Used Book Swap!
AshersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
tonnabelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't stop co-sleeping. I has a ped. tell me one day that all kids are gonna fall off the couch or out of bed at least once. If they don't, you're watching them too close. I know it scared you, but she's ok. Just snuggle her extra tight and it'll be ok.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

you are not a bad mama! Kids will be kids, they will fall and they will get hurt... even in the baby stage. I'm glad she is alright! Try to take it easy on yourself!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
beanmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad she's alright. I wouldn't give up co-sleeping because of this, add some padding around the bed, put the mattress on the floor, or you could put her down in the crib if she goes down before you do and bring her in when you go to sleep. Good luck, it does happen and you're still a great mom!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh honey, i'm so sorry. i would have, or rather, did, feel the same way! my baby fell out of our 4'+ tall bed at 5 months old. i was lying right next to him! these things happen. the dr we saw that night told me about when her baby fell off the couch where the 2 of them were lying down. but i do know how awful it feels when its your own baby. im so glad to hear she is ok, i hope you get to feeling better soon too!