Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
KelliandKaci
Registered Users
seller

FL/TL Washer - Can't decide

So I've been drooling over the front loading washers for a while now...having fantasies of being able to wash our king comforter at home and doing less wash and saving water...etc etc etc. Well I decided to do some diaper research on FL and I find quite mixed reviews. Now I'm starting to worry about it. To buy or not to buy? I'm worried that our washer is on its last leg as it leaks every time it runs a large load, but it's not dead yet. DH has finally said that it's ok if we do our research, but the more I do the more I get worried. FLs seem WONDERFUL for everything...other than diapers. But then some Mommas seem to like them for diaper laundry and I've read others say that they have their TL still just for diapers. So any input on if I should take the plunge or not - and if so what brands those of you that have FLs and love them (or at least aren't having any issues) have? If I'm getting a new one I would love to have it before DS arrives. Thanks for any input.

Advertisement

KelliandKaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
KelliandKaci
Registered Users
seller

Re: FL/TL Washer - Can't decide

Anyone? Any input?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...t=115&prod=979

Kelli, what about one of those. They are supposed to be like the front loading. Would that help with the diaper issue?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Tad
Registered Users

My Mood:

Front loading. There are NO cons to it. The entire continent of Europe uses nothing but FTs, and ecocrazy (in a good way ) Germans wash CD's in them no problem. In additon you also save energy and water - and not just a bit. TLs use about 4 times more water, for example!!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
KelliandKaci
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Front loading. There are NO cons to it. The entire continent of Europe uses nothing but FTs, and ecocrazy (in a good way ) Germans wash CD's in them no problem. In additon you also save energy and water - and not just a bit. TLs use about 4 times more water, for example!!
See these are exactly the reasons that I thought it would be great, but then doing a search in this forum for info on FLs you run across soooooo many people having stink issues due to the fact that there is so much less water and everything. That originally wouldn't have crossed my mind, but I'm worried. I don't want to run into problems with my diapers, but I want a FL washer/dryer badly for all the good that they do compared to TLs - ESPECIALLY saving the water and energy and all.

Anyone have any recommendations of FLs they are using and enjoying?

We had been looking at the LG, Bosch, and Samsungs the most.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
o3b
Registered Users

I can't really offer any specifics - except that I decided to *keep* my TL until it dies (sounds like yours might be there soon?). The reasons that got me were all the repair bills mamas complained about with the FLs and the fact that if your washer stops quits in the middle of a load, you're stuck with that wet load sitting in there until a repair man comes out (which could be a couple weeks on average, I read).

I have a question about the leaks with large loads - are you overfilling the tub? Many years ago I was all set to buy (and had already ordered) a new W/D b/c I was getting leaks with every load. I found that I was overfilling it and if I washed with just one or two less adult sized items, I did not get the leaking. (So I cancelled the order.)
o3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
o3b
Registered Users

BTW, my aunt was told at the repair shop they frequent that the repair guys do NOT like to work on Boschs. They said they were pretty good machines, but getting them fixed would be hard.

We recently went looking for new kitchen appliances at a very longstanding, reputable appliance shop and I asked about the Bosch dishwasher. (B/C I had seen a sign at Lowe's saying they were "rated #1 by a leading consumer magazine" for several years.) The salesguy there told me the same thing my aunt heard, and that he was not recommending them to us specifically for that reason. We live 1-1/2 hours apart and were not talking to the same group of salespeople/repairmen.

He said he did not like the LG stuff at all. (Oh, this salesguy had been a teacher at a technical school appliance repair program for many years.)

Last edited by o3b; 03-07-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
Tad
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliandKaci View Post
Anyone have any recommendations of FLs they are using and enjoying?

We had been looking at the LG, Bosch, and Samsungs the most.
We went with an LG (not steam cleaning). I forget the model, but it was listed one of the best by consumer reports. It is the only one high on the list whose price is under $1000. We paid 799,-.

As for stink issues - I think those are due to being used to a top loading...I have not had problems so far, and like I mentioned, there is a whole continent using FLs, so they must work.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
KelliandKaci
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by o3b View Post
I have a question about the leaks with large loads - are you overfilling the tub? Many years ago I was all set to buy (and had already ordered) a new W/D b/c I was getting leaks with every load. I found that I was overfilling it and if I washed with just one or two less adult sized items, I did not get the leaking. (So I cancelled the order.)
I have played around with this and even ran it with half a load, but still on the large setting. It seems it's something with the water going to the large water level that overflows it and not what you actually put in it. That was my first thought too - too many clothes for the load. But it doesn't seem to help. But thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
o3b
Registered Users

So you probably really do need a washer. I *really* don't envy you. I was happy that mine was still working when I decided not to get a FL. I really, really want a FL for the water/electricity/and esp being able to wash large comforters. It just scared me so much what others were saying, we decided to keep ours for now. We are doing a remodel, but I decided to change the laundry room plans to continue to accomodate the TLs for now (while we are still using cloth diapers, especially).

I know you've seen *many* threads, but I'll go see if I can find the one that made up my mind.