Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think my elim. diet might finally be working but have questions about gluten!!!

I'm on the home stretch now of the month-long elimination diet I committed myself to. Only 4 more days before I had planned to go get a burger, fries, and milkshake since my diet wasn't helping anyway. UNTIL- this past weekend I found out there's some gluten in oats and I should stop eating them. Up till then I had been making oatmeal cookies pretty regularly using rice flour and sometimes even with oat flour. Well, all of a sudden today ds is doing quite a bit better. Sure, he's still a little whiney but he's not screaming. And his poop earlier was more yellow and only had a bit of mucus and had a few curds, something we haven't seen in months!

I am aware that it might not be the oats; it might be a coincidence, and it was something else that finally worked its way out of my system. I guess instead of binging on a bunch of foods this Sunday I better do this right and add them in one at a time, huh?

Anyway, about gluten- if he's sensitive to it does that automatically mean Celiac Disease? Or is there a difference? Is there a blood test for Celiac or would he have to be scoped? ds1 had similar problems which we never figured out a solution for, other than putting him on Neocate. When he turned one we put him on a totally normal diet and he was fine. He is pretty small for his age though, so that kind of makes us wonder if he could still have issues with gluten, even though he has NO other symptoms (his stools are normal, etc). I'm just wondering if this is something I should push for testing for.

I realized I haven't had apple juice in several days. I know some mamas have said their baby's problems were from apples, and that's it! I wish it were that simple for me. I'm wondering if I should continue avoiding apple juice or if I should go drink some and see what happens.

Insight is appreciated- I feel like we might be on the verge of a breakthrough here... though our theory that he's just sensitive to everything could also be true; once I start adding foods back in he might have trouble with everything; who knows. All I know is that I can't live on potatoes and rice and some chicken and the few veggies/fruits I have on my list! I need more variety! I'd love to go take a big bite out of a chunk of colby-jack cheese right now... (This daydreaming about food is getting out of hand! )
Less than 4 days left before my diet is over and I start adding back in foods!

Advertisement

3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think my elim. diet might finally be working but have questions about gluten!!!

to you Mama!!!!

Way to go with the elimination diet - I can't even imagine how tough that would be for me - I'm a foodaholic! I applaud your dedication to your child!

I don't know a lot about Celiac, but I believe that first some preliminary blood tests are done, and then a biopsy of the intestines needs to be done to completely confirm the diagnosis.

I *think* that a person can have gluten sensitivity without having Celiac disease, but I am not positive on that one.

If you can stand it, it probably does make the most sense to keep avoiding the apple juice and the oats for now. After a little bit longer with healthy-looking poops, starting adding things back in one-by-one.

So sorry you have to put up with it, but it really does sound like it's working for your little one!
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think my elim. diet might finally be working but have questions about gluten!!!

No, a sensitivity or even a allergy to Gluten does not mean Celiacs. My DD is allergic but does not have celiacs (or the doctors say she does not - but when her stool tests showed she is not absorbing and she had not gained weight or grown in height in over 8 months and when we went gluten free she gained a pound & grew a 1/2 inch....kwim?). Celiac is where the body stops absorbing due to the intake of Gluten products (there are other symptoms also, but that is the dangerous part of Celiac's)....it's all within the GI Track.

Yes, Oats can be cross contaminated with Gluten due to they are processed on the same line as other wheat products. They (all the doctors and the Celiac Board) have not figured out if Oats do actually contain gluten or not, but it is best to stay away from them...

To check for Celiac's, they can do a blood test, but the most accurate is a biopsy of the stomach and small intestines, and even then they have to take a lot of biopsies to make sure none of them show the signs of it. You can develop Celiac's at any age, 1 month old or 60 years old....it's a strange disease.

I totally understand the restrictions of the diet, but with the right research and home cooking, you can acutally eat a lot of yummy things. I founds some excellent rice crackers at Central Market that are all allergy free and my DD even loves them (I was so happy to find a snack for us) I have already told DH when my DD weans, I'm not going back to any dairy products and will proably stay away from gluten also....I feel so much better myself since getting off of just these two (also off eggs and soy).
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011

Last edited by babygirlsmom1005; 03-07-2007 at 09:42 PM.
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

From what I understand, the blood test for celiac disease is not accurate in children under 5 (dd was negative on the blood test and the GI still wanted to do an endoscopy), and even if positive they still do the endoscopy afterwards. Also the biopsy they do is not accurate unless you are eating gluten.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
From what I understand, the blood test for celiac disease is not accurate in children under 5 (dd was negative on the blood test and the GI still wanted to do an endoscopy), and even if positive they still do the endoscopy afterwards. Also the biopsy they do is not accurate unless you are eating gluten.
Well, in 3 days I'll be adding gluten back to my diet... This elimination diet has not completely "cured him". So, I'm going back to the "all things in moderation" diet. If I keep eating potatoes and rice this much he's going to end up allergic to THOSE. As he's getting older he is better able to cope with tummy aches anyway- he likes to play in the exersaucer and lay on the floor with toys.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids are very allergic to oats... gives them bad raw eczema!! They can tolerate wheat better, and spelt even better.

You just need to experiment... and the fries--not many kids are allergic to potatoes, so go for them!!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know, one of ds's worst crying days was when I had a big 'ole bowl of cheerios (without milk). Those are oats, aren't they? I don't really think of myself as a big oat eater but then you look at cereals, oatmeal cookies, etc, and I can totally see that perhaps that could be our problem. And since i stopped eating oats a few days ago he has been happier.

I think I need to keep a food journal (including his crying and nasty poops) and just figure it out that way!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
zacksmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad he's finally doing better. It really sounds like it might be the oats! Or the gluten. I'd def keep the oats out of your diet. GL! You're doing great mama!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sooo glad he is doing better.
You are turning into quite a detective.
Karen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote