Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
what to do with a 3 year old?

my ds just turned 3 and i wanted to take him to preschool but we cant afford it. i am now hs'ing my two oldest so i thought i could do preschool stuff with him at home. im not really sure what to do though. it seems he is too young for some stuff and has a very hard time sitting still to do anything - he is very active. i got a workbook and some flash cards but he doesnt like to sit still to do them. i found the letter of the week site and started on it, but it seemed like he wasnt learning things. any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: what to do with a 3 year old?

Let him be 3. He'll learn it when he's ready. Doing academic things with him early isn't going to do him any good if he's not ready to learn it. More likely you will both get frustrated. Work things in if you can as you play with him, make sure you are reading to him and with him, but I really wouldn't do anything.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS2 will be 3 yrs old in less than 2 months. I am doing a Pre-k/Kinder curriculum with DS1 (4.5 yr old) and I have DS2 join in on story time, arts & crafts and the music activities. Mainly, I am just keeping up his love of books and working his fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hunter is 3 and I started hs'ing him this September. We do fine motor skills like cutting, tracing, coloring. Then we do arts and crafts, book reading, music time, counting, ABCs, and going on nature walks. He really loves school time.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
mommyto2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my YDD is 3 1/2 and right now she's just not ready for much/if anything

I'd love to have more structure for her but it doesn't work, so while we do school (with ODD) she plays or she'll color and if she wants we go over letters and shapes

I just found a FREE marker/chalk board easile so I'm hoping that will help a little bit with some creativity for her.....

that said, when he's willing sit down and do stuff with him.....they'll catch on eventually I'm sure
Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mamas!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
geocaju
Registered Users

My Mood:

There are awesome blogs I follow that have lots of great ideas!! 1plus1plus1equals1.com is a great one! Also confessions of a homeschooler (you can just google those). They have lots of great ideas. I do believe in letting the child lead you in teaching. If you notice its just too much of a struggle and clearly the child isn't ready just let it go. They do mostly learn through play at this age anyways (I have a 3 year old) With my daughter I am doing the Raising Rock Stars curriculum available at 1plus1plus1equals1. Some days we do everything in our "plan", other days we don't do much of anything.

Geo - wife to F & mom to Juju 4 and Cami 1.5 and with #3
pet mommy to a dog, a bird and a fish
Loving every minute of being a SAHM

geocaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
britsuz90
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Read to him, read to him, read to him!

ODs is 3 and has picked up colors, numbers, counting, spaces, etc by observation. He can identify 5 types of dinos, numerous tractors, etc. As a pp said let him be 3, if he wants to sit with you then let him. Reading is the best prep
britsuz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

I have a three year old

I do a story than I pick a color page, an easy craft, and song to go with it ... often Ill also add something like a cooking activity or an outdoors activity to if It fits in

we use soem worksheets that I print of the internet or pick up from the dollar store or on sale.

I also pick up any arts and craft items thats on sale even odd things because well use them for SOMETHING- favorites are the puffy ball things, stickers, glitter(I buy glitter glue or we do it outside), stamps, markers, the foam pages

I also pick up inexpensive crafts from acmoore and michaels for a dollar or two and he has a blast with them.

we do lots of reading and we lace cards and beads for small motorskills.

I work fulltime also so the things we do dont take alot of time we spend probably an hour a night on them .

then I let him help with dinner or cleaning also which gives us time to talk and discuss things which helps him with learning
monkeymama07 is offline   Reply With Quote