Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
kkalltheway
Registered Users

The unassisted homebirth of Tierney Mikayla Grace Hunt

We planned for various reasons to have an unassisted home birth and it was such an amazing experience 2 days later its still sinking in. Lets start at the beginning-ish.
I went to the OB for a regular visit on OCT 7 @ 1pm and was told that I was 4cm 90% effaced and I needed to go to labor and delivery triage to see if I was in labor. I of course ran straight for my car . I had been having contractions for 2 months and the only difference is that every single one was a 'knocking' contractions~ as in I would contract and feel the baby knocking to be let through the door. Before only a few were like that. I was unsure of what 'natural' labor felt like because even though Ive had 3 previous babies and never had pain medicine during labor Ive always been augmented with Pitocin. So I went home and took a nap with a heating pad and wouldnt you know it? my contractions stop I went ahead and took a walk around the block 8pm on the 7th and came home.
We went to bed around 10 pm with contractions and I thought I was just going to have a bad night and wake up to no more contractions in the morning. I know this sounds funny but the idea that MY BODY could have contractions long and strong enough to have a baby all by itself was kind of unbelievable to me. I had been in 'preterm labor' 3 times and had to be augmented, I now believe that at least 2 of those times I was not truly in labor but was just doing as I had done this entire pregnancy. I had contractions they were strong they were timable but there was no cervical change (until pitocin) and I believe now that they would have also stopped on their own time just as they had in this pregnancy. I just dont have the strength to labor and assert myself at the same time. This was one of the reasons I felt much more comfortable at home. I knew things would go a lot closer to the way I wanted them to if it was just my husband and I in our house. We spent lots and lots of time talking about this and discussing in great detail the what if's and what we would do in different situations.

So Im tossing and turning and cant sleep AT ALL. So we go ahead and get out of bed around 1 am and I wondered around. LIKE A LOT!!! I had this weird feeling that if I found the perfect spot in my room my contractions would stop hurting and the baby would just fall out painlessly. BOY was I wrong. I think the little bit of anxiety I still felt about having my baby at home with just my husband actually made it a little harder for me to stay calm through contractions. With my 3 previous births I stayed focused on my goal. I used breathing and visualization to help with pain and with the one I was very unfocused and felt almost like I didnt know what I was doing. My husband really tried to keep me focused but I was honestly a basket case. I dont know what my deal was I spent a good deal of time in the tub laboring but between 6-7 cm I started getting really crazy and running around in circles (which Im sure just added to the pain since I was focused on finding another hiding spot from the pain instead of letting it do its job and breathing through it) I wanted to be in the closet because it felt safe and secure, I wanted to be on the bed because it felt soft and familiar, I wanted to be in the tub because it was warm and calming. I really just wanted to be anywhere I wasnt. So I started doing this ridiculous circling.

I hadnt eaten anything all night. I hadnt slept in two nights and I was getting sick. My husband said he could smell ketones on my breath and was getting worried about if I would have energy. I was crying and asking to go to the hospital and he kept reminding me that this is what I wanted when I wasnt so emotional and that I needed to just focus on my job. He was really just remarkable even when I was loosing my temper with him or acting ridiculous he was trying to keep me focused and calm. Without him there cheering me on Im sure I would not have been able to do this. He was trying to get me to eat or drink something which I didnt want to but finally he convinced me to have a little chocolate soy milk. Wouldnt you know it I hit transitional labor and those few sips on milk send me to the toilet with nausea. (he felt really bad I could see it on his face ) But I was really excited when I started getting sick because I knew it wouldnt be much longer and it was honestly just the encouragement I needed. I sat down on the toilet with the urge to push and feel down there and realize that even though Ive been leaking fluid the entire time I have a pocket of water bulging so I reached up there and easily nicked the bag which makes a little gush and lots more I have to push feelings. So I run away to the tub....again (this must have been my 20th+ time in the tub Im telling you I was crazy people ) I moan a little groan a little and its shortly after 8 am.

I can hear my little girls waking up for the morning so my husband goes down stairs to help them start some cartoons and breakfast and quickly makes his way back up the stairs to me in the tub. When he gets there I start pushing and he tells me he can see the head crowning. I feel her making her way down and then I feel a familiar unwelcome pressure. Shes stuck against my tailbone just like my previous little one I push with everything I have and she dislocates it as her head pops out. I kept wanted to just make it happen so I kept pushing trying to deliver the shoulders without a contraction but my husband stopped me and helped me wait for my next contraction at which point I delivered the shoulders. He pulled her up out of the water and the Did that seriously just happen? Feeling came over me. I could not believe I was holding my baby in my house. He laid her down on my chest and she was very very calm. So calm that my husband got nervous that she wasnt breathing. I said shes breathing she fine but he just had to hear the cry so he flicked her little foot and the glorious newborn cry echoed around our bathroom. My first words? There shes out now call the ambulance! I was exhausted! I have never been so tired in all my life and I was pretty sure I tore (turns out I just had some superficial tears) My little girls came up to see us before the EMT's got there and my oldest says "Mommy, I thought you were supposed to have the baby at the doctors?" lol. We really should have let the little ones in on our plan

The EMT's get there and clamp off and cut the cord and we go to the hospital to get checked out. Baby Tierney checks out great. I get a doctor who is very tempted to use cord traction to pull my placenta out but I believe that this method contributed to my postpartum hemorrhage and my placenta having to be manually removed (extremely painful!!!!) with delivery #2 and #3 so I am adamant with the little bit of energy I have left that this woman leave my placenta alone and let my body do it just the way God intended. Wouldnt you know it I deliver the placenta a hour later without the medical help. I am reminded God made me to do this. I always needed medical help to stay in labor (Pitocin) and here I had just gone into labor and stayed there on my own. I needed medical help to stay pregnant (progesterone) but without it I had stay pregnant even longer. I needed medical help to deliver my placenta (traction and pitocin) but here my body was doing just the way God had made me to. I am fearfully and wonderfully made for this and I wish I would have realized it with previous pregnancies. I had a whole new confidence in Gods handywork.

Thats my unassisted homebirth story. Next time I hope I hope to skip the hospital all together but even so It was wonderful and empowering and beautiful and a huge blessing to get the labor and healthy baby I wanted. Now for the Pictures!!!! Enjoy

About an hour before birth

About a minute after birth

At the hossy

Meeting big brother and sister

Daddy holding us for the second time

Fluffy Newbie pic

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The unassisted homebirth of Tierney Mikayla Grace Hunt

Congratulations!! Love your story and pics. I have that little Gymboree sleeper for this baby too.
How much did she weigh?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats! She is beautiful and so is your story!
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
kkalltheway
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by annb View Post
Congratulations!! Love your story and pics. I have that little Gymboree sleeper for this baby too.
How much did she weigh?

Hahaha sorry. She was 36 weeks 5 day and 7lbs 7 oz 19 inches long. Born at 8:22 am.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
formunkyfrommommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

awesome! you went into labour on my b-day thanks for sharing
Old 10-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
Dialectica
Registered Users

My Mood:

What a beautiful birth! Congratulations on your new little one! She is gorgeous.

(And be prepared for that awesome feeling about the birth to stick around for a while. I was euphoric for MONTHS after my UC! )
Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
DixieLee
Registered Users

Karen, What a wonderful story! It is amazing what happens when we place our faith in the Lord first.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness,
and all these things shall be added to you.
-Matt 6:33

Thank you for sharing your journey!

Love, Casey
DixieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
kkalltheway
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLee View Post
Karen, What a wonderful story! It is amazing what happens when we place our faith in the Lord first.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness,
and all these things shall be added to you.
-Matt 6:33

Thank you for sharing your journey!

Love, Casey
Aww thanks Casey
Old 10-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Woo Hoo...You did it mama...and did it well might I add...Wow...And what a perfect sized baby for so early...Congrats...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Beautiful baby, wonderful story!

Congrats!!!