Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
nhimitrust
Registered Users
seller

Anyone on Tricare been able to get Zofran?

I am had hyperemesis with the 2nd and 3rd. With my 3rd I was VERY sick until the 22nd week and then just mildly so for the rest of the pregnancy. My doc did prescribe me Zofran, but Tricare would only pay for so many pills and it wasn't even like a weeks worth (I don't remember exactly how many). Has anyone else had this happen? If so, did you find a way around it? I am sick with this pregnancy also and am wondering about asking for Zofran but want to know if I'll even be able to get it! Thanks~

Advertisement

nhimitrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
kais_momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone on Tricare been able to get Zofran?

I get 15 pills at a time. I'm not sure how often I can refill them cause it's been able to get me through. I want to say I got my last refill before a month had passed from getting my other bottle, but I'm not 100%. Tricare has paid all but the $3 co-pay for it cause I get almost all our meds from walgreens and not base.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I have a friend who just had back surgery and she's on serious narcotics that make her massively ill. Because she had back surgery she can be sitting up and retching to puke and she can't be in massive amts of pain either so her doc gave her zofran. Tricare covered it at 15pills plus 3 refills without a problem. She's active duty so I'm not sure if that's any different. I found that med costs and policies were always different between the active duty member and the dependents when we were in at least.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:

There may be limits on how much the pharmacy can dispense at a time. Even so, what you need to do in order to get a script for something not on the normal formulary (something they don't carry regularly) is a form stating that this script is for something medically necessary. There may be restrictions placed even on this, such as with some antidepressants, where your doctor has to show that other, less expensive options were tried first and failed or that the risk of side effects from alternatives outweigh the benefits of the script you want. There's a lot of paperwork involved but most things don't take too much of a fight once you get the form submitted saying it is a medical necessity that this specific script be filled. If you're seeing a civilian doctor, ask Tricare for a copy of the form so that you can take it in with you. If you're being seen by a military doc or a military contractor at an MTF or outlying clinic, they should already have the form and be quite familiar with it.
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Shikoba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah! No problems but I got it from the on post pharmacy. The military midwife I was seeing finally just gave me 60 8mg pills (120 doses, bc I cut them in half), and she gave me two 60 ct refills. I has no problem having the rx filled. I had lost a little over 30lbs at that point. I hope you feel better soon.

Eta we have Prime, I'm not sure if that matters

Last edited by Shikoba; 10-12-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Shikoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
nhimitrust
Registered Users
seller

That's what it was, 15 pills a month. What is the dosage? I see my doc (civilian) on Thursday. We live in a very small town and there is a small military clinic. So I guess if he gives me a script I can go there and see what we can do. I've heard Zofran can be a lifesaver! I hope so and I just hope I can have enough to last me!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
nhimitrust
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the replies too mamas!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Were navy and I have Tricare...I was put on the generic form of Zofran. My Doc wrote it for Zofran and I took it to walgreens. They filled it with the generic and I paid $3. I was getting a good amount of pills at a time too (cant remember how many but enough that I was able to refill like every 2-3 weeks). Also I was soooooo sick, I was taking a pill every 6 hours from 7 weeks to 18/19 weeks. I admitted twice b/c I just couldnt keep anything down or even stand up with out getting sick
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
niadara
Registered Users
seller

Try the generic or pharmacy on base, that shouldn't be a problem. I know our base pharmacy carries generic Zofran. I was prescribed Phenergan and got a bottle of 30 pills, but never took it since Zofran is much better and safer, so I ended up without any drugs actually.
niadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
E.B.2672
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just got 30 pills of the generic zofran and 3 refills. I was really hoping I could get the dissolve-able zofran instead of the pills because they work so much faster.
E.B.2672 is offline   Reply With Quote