Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
31 weeker.. getting fed up w/ NICU

DS3 was born at 31 weeks 6 days. He's been doing fairly well, no respiratory support for a good month. He was ad lib on feedings for 5 days, gaining weight but then the dumb dietician decided he hadnt grown enough in length and head circumference so they up his feeds, double his beneprotein, and stuck the stupid NG tube back in.

Well, since the tubed him again he's been slacking BIG TIME on feeding. He's almost 39 weeks gestational age.. we've been in NICU for nearly 7 weeks and now they are saying "at least 2 more weeks".. I'm irritated, fed up, and ready to say screw this I'm taking my baby home AMA..

..Just had to vent.

Advertisement

LunaBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 31 weeker.. getting fed up w/ NICU

I understand how frustrated you must be. DS has been in the NICU for just over 3 weeks (he was born at 33 wks, 2 days). It really sucks that they put the NG tube back in. I know when they took out my boy's tube (well he pulled it out on his own and they decided to leave it out) he started eating like crazy. Our problem is with breathing, he just can't seem to kick the nasal cannula. There hasn't been much change in his breathing in almost 2 weeks.

Anyway, I know how stressed I am after 3 weeks, I can't imagine 7. Good luck with everything, especially keeping your sanity.
mommyria2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hugs mama!!
Old 10-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
howmanykids
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh boy! what a long time to be in there! and 39 weeks? I hope you get to go home before the 2 weeks!!

Katie, Wife to my WONDERFUL Hubby, Roger, (7/01/06) SAHM to Christopher (7/25/07) and to Patrick (3/3/09), and Little Miss Maggie Jo (10/3/2010)
howmanykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

Ohhhh I remember those days so well. Weight gain was not our issue (DS has gained 0.5 lbs a week since he was born), Our issues were with O2 desats into the low 80s.... They wanted 7 days with no desats before we could go home.

My only suggestion is to celebrate all the little milestones. I started to get upset when we were nearing DS 1 month birthday in the NICU, so instead of being sad I baked cupcakes and brought them into the NICU to celebrate. It was the only way I could cope without going crazy.
Maybe you could find a fun way to celebrate your upcoming due date.

I really hope you get to go home soon, I know how long each and every day in the NICU feels.

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Now they're saying not to expect him home until early November Ive been up here since Friday and he's done soooooooooooo mch better eating with me. I wish I could just camp out here with him every day, but as a single mom with 3 little ones at home that's just not feasible.

Things got to stressful staying at my parents so I went back to the apartment.. which means I only get to see the baby when the kids have overnights with their Dad (every other weekend and Friday nights on the alternate weeks). I'm just feeling so run down with all this.. I just want him HOME, and to never. ever. step foot in the stupid hospital EVER AGAIN!
LunaBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I've been watching your updates on E on facebook. I'm sorry things have been so hard. I know you have quite enough going on at home to not have to deal with this too. I hope E starts kicking butt and taking names later and he comes home with his brothers and sister ASAP. Don't be afraid to message me if you ever wanna chat or vent. I miss you.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really hope he's able to go home soon.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
KMsmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD was in the NICU for 22 days. I can relate on some levels to your frustration. Hugs to you mama. It is so hard at times to keep everything together. When the time comes homecoming will be sweet!