Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
alybeth
Registered Users

Potty regression

Ok, so I'm at a loss with my 2.5 year old at the moment. He has been potty trained, and accident free (while awake) for a little over 6 months. He just kinda took off with it, and we never looked back. Now in the past 3 1/2 days he has had 6 accidents. I found out through this all that he would have accidents frequently when DH would be watching him (which isn't very often). I;ve been trying to figure out what's going on, and how to deal with it. DD's 1st birthday is on the 25th, so we've been talking about her birthday party, but DS is totally excited about it, so I really don't think that's what it is. (He has never really shown any signs of jealousy toward her at all). DH always works a lot, but has been working even more than usual lately, and there have been several days when the kids have not gotten to see him lately. And, we just found out that we have baby #3 on the way. We actually hadn't told DS about the baby yet, but when he started having accidents I thought maybe he had overheard something. So we told him about it to watch and see what his reaction was, and he got super excited about it. (He has always told me he loves his baby sister so much that he wants a baby brother).
I am going to take him into the ped today just to make sure there is nothing medical going on.
Has anyone gone through a phase like this? How did I did get upset yesterday when he peed in his car seat RIGHT after my mom had taken him to the potty and he said he didn't have to go.
If this continues do I put him back in diapers of some sort? (We never really had many accidents at all during the learning stage, so this is all new to me!) TIA!!!

Advertisement

alybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty regression

Regression is normal. It's part of the process. Taking him to get medically checked out is a good idea, just incase it's a physical issue that popped up.

In my experience, you go with the flow. Not make a huge deal about it but reinforce that "remember that potty goes in the potty" as you help him change into dry clothes. I don't recommend going back to dipes, just roll with it until it passes.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
alybeth
Registered Users

Thanks Jamie! You confirmed what I have been thinking all long. It's weird I've always thought I was a go with the flow type of mom, but then when this came up, I'm having a much harder time doing it than I ever thought that I would have! With the exception of the one time, I have managed to remain calm on the outside (although I'm pretty sure my DH yelled at him when he was with him), so hopefully there is nothing medical, and this will pass quickly!
alybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Mommy2Gav
Registered Users
seller

I could have written this post. I think it is normal. I had to go back to putting him on the potty every 1.5 hours but after about a week or so, he is back to "normal." He still has accidents when he is really involved playing outside.

ISO: Nook. Will trade goodmamas.
Mommy2Gav is offline   Reply With Quote