Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
what appliance do I need

to cook dried beans from scratch? I have thought about a rice cooker or a slow cooker but we are vegetarians so cooking doesn't take me that long, rice only takes 15min on the stove, chili takes 1/2 hour so I don't have much use for an appliance but I would like to cook real oatmeal and get away from canned beans appeals to me and some sort of machine would help with this right?

I was thinking I could set the oatmeal up the night before and it would be done in the morning?

Advertisement

joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what appliance do I need

I just use a large pot and soak the beans overnight. If you are looking for a fast way, look into a pressure cooker.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

depends on the beans, some take longer to cook than others......sometimes I will soak over night...but usually I just rinse, and boil for 1 hour and then simmer for 1 hour or 2.... When I am doing dried beans I start them in the morning before everything else...so I know they are done...all you really need is a big pot.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A slow cooker, or just a big pot works fine too. You soak the beans overnight and then cook them. It says on the bag. Oatmeal doesn't really take that long, probably less than rice, 10 min maybe?

Have you heard of a book called The Complete Tightwad Gazette? She talks about cooking beans and oatmeal in that, I believe, plus it's a cool book anyway so you might like it.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

We cook both oatmeal and beans from scratch and we don't use any appliances. For beans, we just use a pot. Sometimes we soak them overnight, but usually we don't. We can still cook raw beans in an hour or less without soaking them. For oatmeal, we use a regular old sauce pan.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

A slow cooker or a good sized pot like the PPs said. My DH cooks more in the slow cooker (cause he has the forethought and the patience) and I cook more in pots on the stove (cause I have very little forethought and patience when it comes to food )
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I soak over night, then cook in my slow cooker all day with whatever seasonings I want to use.

I have also cooked in a large pot on the stove after soaking them overnight.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Mommy2Gav
Registered Users
seller

I cook dried red beans weekly (born and raised in NOLA- Monday=redbeans...) Anyway, all you really need is a big pot. I prefer to soak them overnight but if I forget, that's okay too. I sometimes use the crockpot but it's not necessary.

ISO: Nook. Will trade goodmamas.
Mommy2Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
norrahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually cook mine on the stovetop in a large pot, but sometimes I will put them in the crockpot. I usually cook them for about 6 hours on the stove adding water as needed and usually add ham or saltpork that I've boiled to flavor them.
Lacee- Mommy to my girls Norrah(4/09) and Naomi(1/13) Expecting #3 (10/14)

norrahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
mmmarmalade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use my crock pot if I think about it, my stove if I don't. I usually take a whole onion (don't even peel it) cut a slit in it and put a bay leaf or two in the slit, and stick a couple of cloves in the onion. Then I toss a few cloves of garlic in and let them simmer until they're done. I never soak them overnight because I never remember to. You can add a little salt at any point, but it's usually best to add it about half way through cooking because it can increase cook time by not letting the skins soften up, or so I read in one of my cookbooks.

Another way we LOVE to eat beans is cooking them with sage (like about 20 fresh leaves with about 1/2 lbs of beans) on the stove top until they're done (about an hour-ish) and when they're done, drain, add minced garlic and olive oil to taste. Sometimes we'll put sausage and bell peppers in too, but if you're vegetarian, you could use vegetarian sausage and it makes a great one dish meal

Marmalade Baby
mmmarmalade is offline   Reply With Quote