Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
mmmarmalade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: what appliance do I need

I use my crock pot if I think about it, my stove if I don't. I usually take a whole onion (don't even peel it) cut a slit in it and put a bay leaf or two in the slit, and stick a couple of cloves in the onion. Then I toss a few cloves of garlic in and let them simmer until they're done. I never soak them overnight because I never remember to. You can add a little salt at any point, but it's usually best to add it about half way through cooking because it can increase cook time by not letting the skins soften up, or so I read in one of my cookbooks.

Another way we LOVE to eat beans is cooking them with sage (like about 20 fresh leaves with about 1/2 lbs of beans) on the stove top until they're done (about an hour-ish) and when they're done, drain, add minced garlic and olive oil to taste. Sometimes we'll put sausage and bell peppers in too, but if you're vegetarian, you could use vegetarian sausage and it makes a great one dish meal

Advertisement

Marmalade Baby
mmmarmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
natesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a large pot would work fine
a crock pot also is nice I cook steel cut oats in my crockpot also
Old 10-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
blackberry75
Registered Users

None really. Oatmeal from scratch doesn't take that long and beans you can soak overnight in the pot you'd boil them in.
Just a little hint. I soak my beans overnight w/ a tsp of baking soda per pound of beans, then freeze and thaw them out as needed. This makes them less gassy. It means you need to plan ahead for when you'll want to use them, but for someone w/ my stomach it makes all the difference. Just drain them and pat dry before putting them in the freezer.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote