Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Baby Michael's beautiful homebirth pics added

Michael Richard Johnson III Birth Story

[IMG][/IMG]

9/28 and 9/29: At 40 weeks 6 days we had a biophysical and the following day a non-stress test. Michael scored a perfect 10/10 and we were told we were fine to wait until 42 weeks. We were informed that Michael had passed meconium and had the cord around his neck but our hospital midwife assured us both were not a big concern and our homebirth midwife agreed.

10/1: Decided to have some acupressure with the nun at the hospital. She ensured me it induces labor 90% of the time within 3 days. Figured at 41 weeks 2 days, she had a really good chance of being right even if it was simply coincidence. That afternoon I had some powerful contractions while walking but they later fizzled out.

10/2: Went shopping with my friend at a mom to mom sale and nothing. Played cards with the in-laws that evening and had a few contractions like the few nights before, but they went away when I went to sleep.

10/3: Around midnight I noticed the contractions hadn’t gone away. I kept drifting off and would wake up to pee and notice I was still having them. Around 6 am I noticed I couldn’t sleep through the surges anymore. At 7am I woke up Mike and he went to get bagels for breakfast. I figured I should enjoy some good food if things were going to be happening soon. Then I felt a suctioning noise and thought maybe my water broke. Got up quickly and went to the bathroom to find I had very clearly lost my mucus plug. Then I hopped in the shower and timed contractions at roughly 10 minutes apart but only 30ish seconds long. [11:30am] I called our doula (Jessica) to let her know I thought this was probably it or would be it soon. I also call Linda just to tell her something is happening. After eating breakfast we all decided to do some shopping and not focus on what may or may not be labor. We went to Horrocks and Sears. [1:30pm] At this point a contraction hits me that makes me thing going home is a good idea. I was still having bits of bloody mucus and the contractions were about the same distance apart but much stronger. After getting home we decide to watch the football game and I am able to doze between contractions but was really having to go internally to get through them. Mike and I decide to go for a walk to see if things will pick up. They do. [5:45pm] I called Jessica again to give her an update and tell her I am pretty sure we will see her that night. I also call Linda to give her a heads up. Mike goes to get pizza for dinner. I decide to take a bath to see if things will either calm down or pick up. Things calm down and I worry it has all been a false alarm. Mike returns with pizza and I eat a little but don’t have much appetite and am afraid of what pizza may look like if transition makes me sick later. At the end of dinner the contractions really start picking up. [8:00pm] Mike and I decide to go for another walk which quickly becomes uncomfortable and hard to do. We return home and I decide to go shower and have some time alone. I notice Lions for Lambs is on TV and decide to call Mike downstairs to tell him (we saw this movie the night my water broke with Lor). Suddenly a contraction hits me that I can’t handle without help. Mike comes up to help. [9:00pm] Mike and I get into a good rhythm of rocking/swaying during contractions and dozing and cuddling in between. It was very peaceful and I could feel baby Michael moving and working with me the whole time.

[IMG][/IMG]

[9:57pm] At this point I am convinced this is labor (finally) and call Jessica to tell her things are getting stronger and that some of the pain is in my back. Mikes counterpressure is really helping and I tell her I will call her again when I really need her.

[IMG][/IMG]

[11:00pm] I notice some of my contractions are coming back to back but are still only about 45 seconds each and I am still getting through them okay. Mike and I begin arguing during a rest about when to call our doula. An intense surge hits me and I start crying that he shouldn’t be arguing and I want to call her now. [11:30pm] I call Jessica and tell her we need her.

10/4: [12:05am] Jessica arrives in what feels like 5 minutes. She immediately gives Mike a break by helping me work through contractions and rubbing my back. The back labor has gone away and I felt baby Michael rotate into a better position. At this point the contractions get very intense and some are on top of the other and lasting a bit longer. I am sitting on the bed and chatting between them but then getting up and swaying or kneeling during them. At this point I start moaning to get through them. They are about 4 minutes apart. [12:40am] Mike reminds me of why I am working so hard and I look at baby Michael u/s picture and remark that he is “awfully cute.” Contractions come at 12:44, 12:46, 12:51, 12:53, 12:55 a.m. I decide hot water sounds good and Mike helps me in the shower.

[1:00am] Jessica decides it’s time to call Linda and she says she is on her way. [1:15am] I get out of the shower and am lying on my side in the bed and trying to rest between contractions. Then things start getting pretty intense. I try standing, sitting on the ball, and labor dancing with Mike, but feel that things are getting very intense. [2:25am] Linda arrives and everyone breathes a sigh of relief. I didn’t realize they thought I was close to done. I actually figured I was nowhere close. [2:33am] Linda says “it sounds like that baby’s coming.” I simply reply “I hope so.” At this point I was kneeling on the floor. [2:40am] Nothing is helping and I move to side lying on the floor. Swiffer (my sweet and intuitive 60lb Airedale) is laying against my leg. [2:55am] Next, I get up to try and pee again (which I have been able to do the entire time and am quite proud of myself for) and decide I am done. I say I can’t do it, I don’t want to do it, and I am done. The pressure and pain in my tail bone becomes unbearable and I lose control.

[IMG][/IMG]

Linda and Jessica both believe I am in transition but I am becoming discouraged because I still believe I am nowhere close. [3:25am] At this point I am convinced nothing is happening or progressing and I will be in labor forever. Linda offers to do my first exam of the whole pregnancy (again, so proud of myself for holding out), and I am fully dilated and baby Michael is at a +2 station. I try pushing semi-sitting but it hurts way too much and I am not feeling him move down at all when I am doing it. I somehow get the intuition, courage, and strength to get on all fours and push.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now that pushing urge hits me full force and I can feel him moving down with each contraction. I lean back to kneel and he crowns. I look down and help slowly guide him out with my hands and notice the cord on the top of his head. Although I was hoping to catch him getting back on all fours sounds much more comfortable so I do. A few pushes later he gently is born into Mike and Linda’s waiting hands. They quickly pass them to me and I immediately sit down and take in every inch of my sweet boy.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

He was born so beautifully and is calm and peaceful. He doesn’t cry. Just gurgles a little and moves to let us know he is doing just fine. We never noticed any meconium in the water and the cord was not around his neck. So much for modern technology. I am not actually sure when my water broke except during one of the early pushes I felt a tiny gush and actually thought I had peed a little. Pretty soon after he was born I get up in the bed and just as I am relaxing to take him in a contraction hits and I realize I had forgotten about the placenta. A couple pushes later it’s out and I feel like a million bucks. After a molar pregnancy a healthy and normal placenta is a beautiful thing to see.

[IMG][/IMG]

Michael then latches on to nurse and does so for over an hour. Around now, big sister Loralei and Poppa both wake up and come meet baby Michael. Lor’s reaction is just perfect as she says, “baby Michael came out.” She kisses and holds her brother and is in complete awe. [5:10am] Mike cuts the cord. [5:30am] Sara shows up to take pictures. [6:00am] Linda weighs and measures baby Michael.
He is 9 lbs even and 22 inches long. His head is 14.5 inches and doesn’t show really any signs of molding. I really believe being on all fours was the only way to bring him into this world. I have a tiny tiny tear that doesn’t require any stitches and again am sure this is because of how gently he was born. We take lots of pictures and baby Michael finds a way to lighten the mood by giving us the finger just like in his ultrasound picture. [7:00am] By now Linda, Jessica, and my MIL have cleaned things up so much that we can’t even tell a baby has been born. Linda takes our vitals and tucks us in. [8:30am] After a little nap I wake up on a total high and go downstairs to lay on the couch and enjoy our new family. Michael's birth has changed me forever. I will honor and cherish that night for as long as I live. I am so thankful for the amazing support team I had. I couldn't have done it without my amazing husband, my MIL (who has given me support and strength for both births), my doula Jessica who knew just what I needed to hear and knew when to call the midwife, and Linda (midwife) who was the most amazingly calming person to attend a birth I can even imagine. She allowed the power of birth to remain mine and only did what was needed for safely and to help me come through the other side. Just a perfect team!

Advertisement

~MY BLOG~

Last edited by rachaeljohnson; 10-19-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: add pics
rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby Michael's beautiful homebirth

beautiful story Rachael!

Welcome to the world Michael

ETA: great pictures
Swag with me! Bing it!

Last edited by stevensmom; 10-19-2010 at 02:25 PM.
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby Michael's beautiful homebirth

Congrats, Rachael!
Emi Marie, 8.15.14

2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby Michael's beautiful homebirth pics added

pics added finally!
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a great story! Thanks so much for sharing and for the pictures!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Rachael, I am so happy for you and proud of you! Little Michael is such a blessing and you were so strong and brave all through the pregnancy, labor, and delivery! Your homebirth story is so beautiful.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for sharing your beautiful birth story rachael!! Welcome to the world michael!

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for sharing your beautiful birth story rachael!! Welcome to the world michael!

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
Layna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a great story and great pictures! Congrats!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love your story. Baby Michael is a testament to your faith. You never gave up! I am so proud of you for having the homebirth that you wanted.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote