Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
puppyloven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: what food to bring to hospital for natural birth?

What the others said is great. I will have lots of fresh fruit on hand and anything light. I always throw up and I don't want to be puking chili like last time! OMG, what was I thinking?! :P

Advertisement

Happily married to DH Noel Mama to two boys Ryan 6/17/06 & Jackson 12/3/08 and with baby #3 EDD1/20/2011
puppyloven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I brought things like fruit, granola bars, bagels, etc. However, I ended up only eating saltine crackers because I was so nauseous and pukey. Bagels hurt coming back up. LOL! As soon as she was born, I was starving, of course, so ate most of what I had brought.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I brought peanut butter cracker and Gatorade, but by the time I got to the hospital I was 8cm and in no mood to eat.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was never allowed to eat while in labor (or drink during my first)..i had OJ with my 3rd and would not recommend that.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
justjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i've had babies n 4 different hospitals and none of them allowed food during labor. i snuck some stuff but not much!
Jessica wife to my sexy soldier SAHM to THE BOSS(9) THE SCIENTIST(8) THE CLOWN(5) THE CRAZY(3) and MISSY MOO(1) and #6 arriving summer 2013!!!
find me on FBmy ISO/IHA
justjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #16
Mama'sPocket
Registered Users
Formerly: LizzieAG
seller

My Mood:

I tried to go with things that are high protein. So cheese sticks, yogurt, and nuts are great. Also raisins give good quick energy. Gatorade for drinking (colder seems to be better in labor)

Whatever you do, plan to sneak it as many hospitals don't want you eating. Make sure you have things like spoons if you need them. Also you don't take things that you will need to heat. Seems like that is kinda hit and miss.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #17
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm soooo glad that my hospital not only allows eating, but encourages it. Need food and forgot to bring it? They will go get you some. But I remember in my birthing class my instructor highly suggested sneaking food if you felt you needed it. In 29 hours of labor I didn't want to see food, hear about food, or touch food, but if you need it, definitely find a way to get it. Send your DH down to the cafeteria to get "himself" a sandwich and sneak it when the nurse is out. Definitely don't let hospital policy stop you. It is such an antiquated policy anyways. I find it ridiculous that hospitals sometimes still enforce it.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

My hospital MW w/DD said I could bring food to eat during labor. I brought what I wanted (at the start of labor I hadn't eaten in over 12 hours! I had DH bring me a subway sandwich ) but I wasn't "allowed" to eat ANYTHING per hospital policy. So, make sure you double and quadruple check to make sure you "CAN" eat in labor.

Last edited by Kiliki; 10-22-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #19
StarBaby11908
Registered Users

My Mood:

My hossy didn't allow eating, but all labor rooms had a private bathroom. My hubby brought a lunch cooler of snacks and put it in the bathroom with my toiletries and some drinks.
StarBaby11908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #20
DreamingTree
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honey...when I was in labor for like two days and my energy plummeted, they gave me spoons full of honey to bump my energy up so I could get through the last pushes.

Crackers
Energy Bars that taste good
Small bites of Fruit
I loved apple juice
Cheese sticks

Bring a large variety. My husband tried to give me a few things and the smell was making me crazy and I think I may have refused some stuff. More options = better.