Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Stopping progesterone and labor

I am currently 36 weeks 1 day with my third, which is the most pregnant I've ever been (yay!) My first was 36 weeks after pPROM with absolutely no other signs/symptoms of ptl and no cervical dilation until after my water broke, although by the time I was first checked at the hospital I was very effaced. My second was 33 weeks after pPROM but only after a stomach flu, dehydration, 4 days of contractions without cervical change, terbutaline and IV (which led to the complication of pulmonary edema and a diuretic.) Only after my water broke did I start having cervical change.

I just had my last progesterone shot on Sunday. Last week at my OB appointment I had a cervical check because I had been noticing more contractions, but I'm not at all effaced and only about 1cm dilated. I have another appointment tomorrow, but I'm not assuming that they have any reason to do a cervical check this time unless I request one, which I don't intend to.

Last night I woke up with painful contractions that were about 6 minutes apart and lasted a couple of hours at least. I have had lots of bh contractions but these were far more intense and it felt like they were menstrual type cramps and/or there was some cervical involvement. I know there was still something going on while I was sleeping because I was having dreams about it including dreaming I had bloody show (which confused me when I woke up and had to check if it was real!) This morning I still feel a little odd and crampy, and have had slightly loose stools.

I'm wondering when is it likely that I'll go into labor after stopping progesterone injections. I've tried to find a study or some information, but all I can find is anecdotal evidence. From that, it seemed that for many women it was about 8 days-2 weeks after, but some went several weeks and a couple were even induced (although it wasn't clear to me if they were actually past their due dates.)

I'm sorry for such a long post, but I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is normal end of pregnancy gearing up, as in I have 3 or 4 more weeks, or if this is more of a signal that I need to start getting ready a little faster.

Advertisement

Lousli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
kgmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Stopping progesterone and labor

I'd get ready if I were you!
I'm a fellow PROM-er --my water has broken without warning every time (at 39 weeks, 37 weeks, and 34 weeks).

Best of luck to you!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
howmanykids
Registered Users

My Mood:

Get your bag packed!!!! Hugs!! (it is horrible to have your dh pack a bag for you!! I had to wear holey sweats in the NICU!!!)

Katie, Wife to my WONDERFUL Hubby, Roger, (7/01/06) SAHM to Christopher (7/25/07) and to Patrick (3/3/09), and Little Miss Maggie Jo (10/3/2010)
howmanykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! My bag is packed, as is the diaper bag. I really don't have much left to do, but I have been hounding my husband to get the carseat ready. I'm super emotional right now and I feel like it could be 2 days and then I get all stressed about how uncomfortable I am and how I've never gone this long before and I'm convinced it will be 5 weeks more! I'm excited to have a full term baby, but I'm really on edge right now with not working and not having anything to take my mind off of it.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on making it to 36 weeks! I did progesterone shots with my last pregnancy,but still ended up in PTL at 22 weeks, spent 10 weeks in the hospital on bedrest, magnesium sulfate, & terbutaline and delivered by emergency c-section at 31 weeks 6 days due to placental abruption.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I stopped my progesterone (I had the vaginal supp, blech!) at 36 weeks and had DD on the day I turned 37 weeks.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hope you're ok!

For what its worth, I was on progesterone shots during this last pregnancy too and I got one the morning of Valentine's Day, went into labor that night. Didn't work so well for me. They did manage to hold it off for 47 hours, though, while I got two doses of steroids. My baby's 6 days old now and still in the NICU but only because she's a sluggish eater and they need to make sure she's taking all of her food by mouth before she can come back home to me.

Good luck... again, hope you're ok and things are going well with you!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for checking in! I'm doing well. 37 weeks and 2 days today, and had my last shot 9 days ago. I've had lots and lots of prelabor stuff going on (contractions, cramping, losing mucous plug, yesterday diarrhea, today bloody show) but so far, no baby. I was supposed to have an OB appointment, which I thought was today, but it turns out it was yesterday and I spaced it, so I won't go in until next Tuesday, if I am still pregnant then.

To be honest, I'm a little stir crazy and frustrated, mostly I think because of all the symptoms. Water breaking is pretty darn definitive, but this on and off again stuff is so iffy!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
momma4of6
Registered Users
seller

With all my full term babies I had the on and off like your having. Hang in there you will know when its labor...and YIPPEE on making it to 37 and 2...Lets cheery you on and chant "no nicu"..Keep us posted!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So about 15 minutes after I posted yesterday....my water broke. Baby Beatrix was born at 11:44 last night at 37 +2 (37 exactly according to my doc) weighing 5 pounds 14 ounces and 17.7 inches long. She is my heaviest baby (but almost an inch shorter than my first was.) She's doing really well and even seems to be a good nurser so far. I'm doing okay too, just tired.