Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I want to cook healthier. Where do I start?

We've been doing good on the food budget, buying on sale mostly. But lately I find myself making the same things, and not many have a ton of veggies. Yeah I can make veggies on the side, but DH isn't a veggie person, he's more a starch and meat guy.

We've been doing a lot of chicken marinated in something, or baked in something, then eaten with rice. Dishes with cream of mushroom soup. Hamburger helper. Spaghetti with meat and onions in it. Beef and bean burritos.

DD is finally getting over being so picky, and she's been trying more food. I want to start incoporating more veggies now, because she's going to be eating more food we do (before it was mostly stews with meat, carrots and potatos) and because DH is picky up too much weight.

Where do I start? I have no idea. Should I just start with the same dishes and throw some veggies in there? or maybe even hide some of the veggies

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
dandasmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: I want to cook healthier. Where do I start?

You can try hiding them in stuff. Shred or chop really small, even puree stuff and add to things like meatloaf, spaghetti sauce.

As for being healthier maybe look at reduced fat cream of X soup or even try making your own?
dandasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
happy2bsahm
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep, it's pretty easy to hide veggies (my kiddos actually love them so I don't hide them much) in sauces and casseroles. Just chop or even puree. As for hamburger helper type meals...sodium is super high so try to limit use of those (not to mention more expensive to buy prepared or convenience foods). I try to keep things really simple without too many sauces and always use whole grains when possible or brown rice. Takes some getting used to but once they get used to it should be no problems. There is a cookbook based on hiding veggies, I think called The Sneaky Chef.
happy2bsahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
happy2bsahm
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh yeah...try different textures too. My kids actually prefer raw veggies. You might be surprised at the things they'll eat! My 2 YO LOVES kohlrabi!!
happy2bsahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you eat stir-fry? We do chicken or beef with lots of healthy veggies and serve over rice.

Fish is pretty healthy too. I have some microwave recipes that I love.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
GreenDahlia
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Start slow! If you try to change the way you eat too quickly you will miss the old way and go back to bad habits. Start adding veggies and fruits in less healthy meals (we make a vegan mac and "cheeze" but I add peas and broccoli). You can also make healthier substitutions, like applesauce for oil in baking, broth/stock instead of cream/milk, other proteins instead of meat, whole grain instead of processed, etc. Make desserts and snacks yourself if you can so you know what's in them. Try adding a new healthy meal as often as you can that you know everyone will like. And don't make yourself or your family eat anything they tried and didn't like.

I found that once I started eating healthier, the new foods seemed to taste so much better that I actually started craving them instead! Good luck!
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
~Mae West
GreenDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote