Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
weaning question

My son is 22 months old and only nurses at bedtime (I work full time and he doesn't ask any other time.) One night he fell asleep nursing on side #1 and never nursed on #2. I never thought about it until the next afternoon when the boob on that side was killing me! All afternoon I could not wait to get home and nurse him. I asked him to nurse as soon as I picked him up to relieve my discomfort.

OK- so here is my question. I started wondering what will happen when we wean. Will I be that uncomfortable for a few days? Will it go away after just one day? Will I need to pump? But if I pump will I keep making more milk?

It may be that I was so uncomfortable because he had been sick the week before and I had been with him 24/7 for like 3 days and all he could keep down was bm so he nursed a lot more than usual.

But I am wondering if those of you who have weaned toddlers can share your experience and help me know what to expect.

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: weaning question

Guess no one has weaned a toddler. I'll have to go find a book. I just want to know if I have to go buy a pump!
Old 03-10-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
tomatojane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't weaned a toddler but my understanding is that your body will readjust to the change.You'll be engorged for a while, but it will let up on its own. If you pump, you will make more milk and I don't think that's what you want. When my dd stopped eating at night, that's what happened to me. My body figured it out.
tomatojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My almost 20mo weaned about a month ago. One thing that helped me was to take about a 1tsp of sage daily. It decreases your supply so you dont get engorged. Don't pump, only hand express a tiny bit to relieve discomfort. Otherwise you will keep producing and/or increase supply.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
odenata
Registered Users
seller

Cold compresses can help, too. I haven't weaned dd, but I did have a problem with engorgement on one breast after a 6 hour flight where I could only nurse her on one side (otherwise her feet would've been hanging halfway out the aisle!). I hand expressed and did cold compresses until it evened out.
odenata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

My two older boys weaned at 15 months- I nursed them just before bed starting at one year. I never had any problems with engorgement.
I'm thinking you were uncomfortable because you increased your milk supply the week he was sick. Your body will readjust to the once daily nursing and when your lo is ready to wean- I'm sure you will be fine.
I'm still nursing my 19 month old twice a day and he doesn't seem to be anywhere near weaning! He nurses like a young baby- my milk lets down and he gulps and everything! I think my older boys just nursed before bed for comfort more than quantity of milk but not my little piggie!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input! It just was SOOOO uncomfortable that day that I started thinking about when we wean. Which we are working toward.

I have actually noticed that at bedtime lately he is nursing for a shorter time and then asking to go to bed! So maybe it is a natural progression toward total weaning. In April he is going to spend the night at my mom's for the first time and of course won't nurse before bed. So I was thinking of stopping around then if he doesn't decide to on his own.

We are TTC and having trouble staying pregnant so I am doing everything I can to up our chances. It may make no difference but I have to try. I think DS is ready- it's more habit than anything.