Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
MamaStick
Registered Users

My Mood:
U/S and wrong due date?

Here's the deal-

This pregnancy has been weird from the start. Oddest thing is the nurse prac originally gave me a due date of Nov 25th based on my measurements during initial exam.

U/S for dating gave me another for Dec 17th, then 19th. Scheduled for a C on the 12th.

Thing is- I'm HUGE now. I should be 32 weeks today but I am as big now as I was at 38-40 with my biggest baby (right at 8lbs).

Anyone ever had this happen? My doc doing the C says that she's seen quite a few U/S date that were far off the mark. None have been with me, though. DH keeps teasing me about a hidden twin and he is amazed at my size. I don't know how many cm I am right now, missed my appointment because of my mom passing...but really...I am just flipping HUGE!

**Also, I've been having cramps like I did before going into labor with my others, probably stress related...but it makes me wonder more.

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Re: U/S and wrong due date?

been there! my first pregnancy was like that. my dates fluctuated a whole month. I was HUGE.. measured big the whole time. My son was 9 lbs 2 oz. I got the "are you sure there isn't a stow-away?" question all the time. I wouldn't worry about it. Worse cause scenario you go into labor before c-section date and they c-section you then.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
moonglowdesigns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 1 ultrasound due date done (at 12wks) and it was 2 weeks off. They said I'd have him June 17th, he came June 3rd and was definitely full term at almost 9lbs. According to my LMP I would have been due May 28 so it was way more accurate!

My belly has also gotten bigger with subsequent pregnancies as well though.

I would mention it again at your next appointment and see what happens. I would also keep a hospital bag b/c if your suspicion is still that you are much farther along than they think, you may need to get to the hospital quickly so they have the time for an emergency C/S.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

When did they do your dating scan? I have heard that they are more accurate in the first few weeks and get less as baby grows because all kids grow differently. OR you could just be measuring huge I had my 3rd at 38 weeks and I was measuring 42 1/2 - how the heck someone can be 42 1/2 weeks pregnant is WAY beyond me... AND I only gained 15 pounds BUT I am short and he was a tall babe at 21 inches - I carried all tummy with him so he just "protruded" lol a lot!
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
Mama'sPocket
Registered Users
Formerly: LizzieAG
seller

My Mood:

Approximately how far along were you when you had that ultrasound? Early (before 12 weeks) ultrasounds are considered very accurate. However the further along you go the more inaccurate they are. By 16 weeks there is an error margin of 2 weeks, by 20 weeks it can vary as much as 4 weeks. It is kinda a "nasty" ultrasound secret that no one talks about.

I had an ultrasound at 28 weeks with my third pregnancy that said I was a full month ahead of what I knew I was. At the birth, it was very, very clear that I was right about my due date.

When was your last period? When do you feel you are due? Maybe a repeat ultrasound would be worth it.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well it could be off or you could just be carrying different. Are you like the basketball under shirt? Those will look bigger..i know I had that issue and I was huge from the side.

With my DD we know exactly within a 12-24 hr time period when she was conceived. (Know exactly when i ovulated). The U/S when I was 7 weeks 4 days had her at 6 weeks 6 days. The Dr didn't changed EDD ofcourse. Though was told could be off by upto 2 weeks easy either way! Eeek!

I have also read on unexplained miscarriages about how inaccurate u/s's are early on.
When DD was 20 weeks and 32 weeks gestation she measured closer to my EDD 20 weeks was a bit off still I think it was down to 3 days and 32 almost 33 was 1 day if I remember right.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

double post

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 10-25-2010 at 06:39 AM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would personally go by the u/s combined w/ LMP/DOC before I'd go by the measurements.
The more kiddo's I had, I always measured further & further ahead. I'd sometimes meaure 4-6 weeks ahead, so measurements just aren't that accurate to me.
And again, the more kiddo's I had, the bigger I got with each pregnancy.

Which date given coorelates with your LMP/Date of likely conception the best?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
twinmomma07
Registered Users

My Mood:

It really does depend on when you had your initial ultrasound. Between weeks 7-13 there is very little growth discrepancies at this point so dating a pregnancy is fairly accurate +-3 days. After that the variations can widen as the pregnancy progresses. When was your initial U/S? I have heard 2nd trimester can vary up to two weeks and 3rd trimester even more...

I would definitely go by lmp AND early U/S results...
Old 10-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
mommybird
Registered Users

My Mood:

What everyone else said. I'm due Dec. 16th so I'm right there with you. I'm bigger than I was when ODD was born and I've been having some pretty regular BH that are pretty painful for a week or so. Sometimes the more babies you have the bigger you get and the earlier labor type symptoms can start. Of course, sometimes US measurements are off too so it could go either way. If you go into labor early they can do your c-section a bit early so I wouldn't worry too much about it either way.