Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
selissa
Registered Users

a couple questions about flats

I never really gave flats a chance with my previous children. I only ever had the gerber birdseye flats and I was not a fan. but now so many people seem to love them I really want to give them another chance.

what fabrics make your favorite flats and why?
I've seen a lot of variation in size, is bigger always better?
I have seen some luxury flats around 12 x 12? that seems like like an odd boxy prefold size than a flat size, am I missing something here?
what about the hybrid flat-fitteds. they seem a bit pricey for what they are. Are they worth the money? love em? hate em?
What are your favorite places to buy flats?
what about the hybrid fitteds?
either for cost or luxury...or both!

links would be greatly appreciated. lol

thank you

Advertisement

selissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
mandasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: a couple questions about flats

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/...e-diapers.html

These aren't exactly the ones I have, but just about the same. Flats are usually around 27x27 inches. It is a birdseye weave, but not so thin like the Gerbers. Cotton flats are great, because they are super easy to get clean, and they dry so quickly, too!
mandasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love my Imagine flats from Nickis Diapers and my Diaper Rite flats from Diaper Junction. The standard size works best for younger babies, and the larger work better on older babies and toddlers. You don't really want a large flat for a newborn or they will be swallowed whole.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love my diaper rite and recieving blanket flats.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

I made some out of bamboo fabric. Super soft and squishy and absorbant!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Gerber birdseye is different from everyone elses birdseye.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Gerber birdseye is different from everyone elses birdseye.
Gerber is just phoning cloth diapering in. I really don't think they actually mean there products to be used on the bum, just as burp cloths.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
Gerber is just phoning cloth diapering in. I really don't think they actually mean there products to be used on the bum, just as burp cloths.
Maybe so but I do like their flats as doublers in my 'real' flats. I just can not figure out whey gerber has birds eye on the flats that look like guaze and has guaze on the flats that look like a thin poor quality linen.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

I have had a little bit of a different experience with flats...
I do love how washable they are, but most of the flats on the market (birdseye, receiving blankets, even the much-touted Imagine bamboo flats--were just no match at all for my little one. If I use one of these flats I have to put in some serious inserts. When I started looking for a more absorbent option, I came up empty-handed (though I have since learned that a couple of companies like Orange Diaper co. and zabi baby (sp.?) have some options) and started getting fabric to make my own. I've since decided to start selling some--I'm hoping to get a store open in a few months. As far as size goes, some of what size you want can depend on how much stretch is in your fabric. A really stretchy fabric in, say, a 25" square could take you into toddlerhood.

Spam alert!
Well, this is only sort-of spam, but if you or anyone else is interested and on a budget I got a whole roll of that lovely Nature's Fabric bamboo stretch terry fabric that they are always running out of, and I've decided not to sell it in my store b/c I found another bamboo stretch terry fabric that I like slightly better (yes, I'm really that kind of person. it's ridiculous.). Anyway, I want to unload this and make just enough to pay for another roll of the kind I want. If you are interested I'm happy to make some for you with your choice of serging color(s) (I have 20 thread color options) for $10 each plus paypal or flat-rate box shipping cost (whatever is cheaper) - my minimum order would be three. I've got enough for about 80 flats, first-come first-served. These are very trim-fitting (pad-folded size is same as receiving blanket) Please PM me with any questions. HTH!

Visit SweetIrisDesigns on Etsy or Hyena Cart for deliciously natural skin-care products or to build up your breathable, beat-the-rash stash of Polartec fleece, Nikky and Niji breathable+waterproof covers, and stretchy Snug Bug bamboo viscose flats. Like us on Facebook to help me decide on new products and get first dibs on seconds.
Reel Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Jsaechols
Registered Users
seller

We currently use reciving blankets and have opened a whole new world!! I too have jumped on the flat band wagon. When we can afford it, we will be purchasing gmd flats ASAP!
Jsaechols is offline   Reply With Quote