Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Anyone been afraid to homeschool??

I am kind of "falling" into homeschoooling, I am afraid. I've thought a lot about homeschooling, but I have a lot of fears.

I am afraid of my sanity some days. I am afraid of not teaching him everything he should know! Or getting behind if we put him back in school. I am afraid that i will have a newborn, just turned 2 year old, and 3year old to take care of too. I won't have support, afraid of what our family will say!

I know I need to try it to know though, but I want to think more positive about it

Did anyone have any of these fears? How did it go once you started?? Anything harder or easier then you thought??

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone been afraid to homeschool??

I am right there with you. It's a really tough decision to make for some. I know in my heart I really want to homeschool our children but sometimes I have that stupid little voice in my head that says, 'Riley will learn better when you are not around, what about your sanity, but you're lazy and barely clean the house-how will you be able to homeschool too.'

Those thoughts are always in my mind and I just can't seen to shake them. I just keep praying that the Lord will lead me in the right direction! Just wish I had the answer now, or maybe I do!!
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
kenya87
Registered Users

My Mood:

Im in the same boat as well mamas. I really want to homeschool my oldest and I too feel like I am "falling" into it. I am so scared of the idea that his whole education is in my hands, "what if I do something wrong?" or "what if I cant teach him as well as public school teachers?". These are questions that keep popping into my head. I just know that out of all of the people in this world NOBODY has as much concern or love for my children than I do. So it's also a little scary to put the education of my children in a complete strangers hands. I'm sure there are some great teachers at public school but with all of the standardized testing I don't feel like children in public school are getting all that they need. I think I am going to give it a whirl and just do my best...thats all I can do!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenya87 View Post
Im in the same boat as well mamas. I really want to homeschool my oldest and I too feel like I am "falling" into it. I am so scared of the idea that his whole education is in my hands, "what if I do something wrong?" or "what if I cant teach him as well as public school teachers?". These are questions that keep popping into my head. I just know that out of all of the people in this world NOBODY has as much concern or love for my children than I do. So it's also a little scary to put the education of my children in a complete strangers hands. I'm sure there are some great teachers at public school but with all of the standardized testing I don't feel like children in public school are getting all that they need. I think I am going to give it a whirl and just do my best...thats all I can do!
I agree, I really THINK a Mom can teach her children best. So I see your son is close to the age of my oldest. Will you be starting kindergarten next year then?? Good luck to you Mama!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTooters View Post
I am right there with you. It's a really tough decision to make for some. I know in my heart I really want to homeschool our children but sometimes I have that stupid little voice in my head that says, 'Riley will learn better when you are not around, what about your sanity, but you're lazy and barely clean the house-how will you be able to homeschool too.'

Those thoughts are always in my mind and I just can't seen to shake them. I just keep praying that the Lord will lead me in the right direction! Just wish I had the answer now, or maybe I do!!
OMGosh are you sure you aren't me . Totally me and my husband tried to say that exact quote in "nice" words. I see you want to continue your schooling too. Will you do that while homeschooling?? I'd really like to maybe at least go to evening class and get my LPN, I could do that while homeschooling I think. If I can go two years without getting pregnant .

We've had a vaccine fallout and to me that's kind of God saying, "come on, you need to give it a try". As much as i have worried and spent researching this, I totally think this is God's way of telling me I should homeschool or at least try!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
babybelle02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had those same feelings before we started homeschooling. I prayed about it a lot and asked God to change my heart if that was the direction He wanted me to go in. He answered that prayer!! Just months before we started homeschooling, the excitement kicked in and I couldn't wait to take DS out of public school. He was in second grade at the time. We're onto 4th grade now and after a year of homeschool, his confidence has gone up by leaps and bounds (no longer afraid of public speaking), he is soooooooo helpful around the house, loves his two little sisters like I've never seen, and can read and spell at a 7th grade level. We even took 6 months off for the birth of our 3rd child. Most importantly, he's come to love Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior and was baptized last summer!
I can relate to your fears but I assure you, that what God has called you to do, He will supply your needs to fulfill it. It's not always easy, and sometimes I doubt my decision but that is where prayer and support from a group of other homeschoolers really helps.
You will never be able to teach your children all that there is to know about everything. That's not the goal of home education. I remind myself that I'm trying to teach a love for learning, and giving him the tools to learn so that when he really wants to learn something, he will know just how to do it. Think about it... how much do we really remember from school? Not a whole lot. It wasn't until I came to adulthood that learning even interested me. Most likely, that will be the case for my children too. So if I can help them to read, do basic math, and give them the necessary skills to continue their education when they get older, I've done my job.
Anyway, sorry for the rambling! I say give it a shot. You can totally do it

babybelle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had the same fears and was so sick of all the bs with the school that the kids were going to, and my kids were picking up really bad attitudes, coming home grouchy, and just bored with it all. So after last grade year, we started homeschooling for Gr.1 & Gr.3. I also have a 2 & 3 yr old at home too. It hasn't gone as I've planned, there's just never enough time in the day. We're lucky if we get math and LA done everyday, for social and science they just watch videos and documentaries and read "real" books. I feel like they are falling behind where their peers probably are, and that I'm failing them. And I have major social anxiety, so while the kids are in karate, dance and gymnastics (2 nights a week for the 6 yr old and 3 nights a week for the 8 yr old), they don't ever play or hang out with other kids and there's only a very religious homeschool group here (we're secular homeschoolers). Nevermind the fact that having to hang out with a bunch of moms I don't know scares the bejeesus out of me because of the social anxiety. We live in town, but I was raised on a farm and we're now looking more seriously at finding land/acreage to move out of town. So then the kids will be even more secluded. So I'm seriously considering putting them back into public school. I just feel like I'm slowly losing my sanity, the kids aren't liking homeschooling and are missing their friends, and I'm sick of only dreaming about having a farm. Call me selfish but I want something that's going to make me happy, but I don't think that I can handle all the chores that come with a farm, and keep up with schooling when I can't even keep up with it now. The only thing stopping me right now is that I do love our relaxed schedule, not having to rush to and from the school for drop off/pick up. Not having to deal with constant birthday invitations and book orders and notes being sent home because my dd didn't listen again. And I'm dreading hearing from certain family members and friends "I told you so."

Sorry to unload, just wanted to let you know the other side, of trying it and not having it work out. But, you never know until you try right? I think that I'm more in the minority, I really think it seems to work out for most people.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

If I ever worry about it I think of the alternative, that's pretty reassuring. Plus i was homeschooled and my mom was pretty much the laziest teacher ever I think we did school three months out of the year. Both my siblings went to dartmouth on full scholarship. (I was the underachiever I guess) so it worked out alright for us. If you don't kill kids natural desire to learn they end up doing pretty well for themselves.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really want to homeschool, but I too am scared of the time commitments. I'm not really in doubt of my ability to teach, just being better about structuring the time to really work with my boys. I think we'll probably use the K12 curriculum, but I have 1-2 years to decide depending on what age we start DS1.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
KimProbable
Registered Users

My Mood:

We first considered homeschooling during my son's first week of Grade 1, and I was too scared to make the leap and pull him from school. By the time Christmas hit, we knew that we would switch to homeschooling for the next school year but we decided to finish out the year (which in retrospect was a bad decision because the last few months were really crappy).

I think I spent the first few months being scared and freaked out all the time. Then it faded and would only rear up every now and then. I think that by the time we were about a year and a half in I felt comfortable and confident enough that the fear of totally messing my kid up disappeared completely. These days, I'm totally loving our homeschooling lifestyle and I know it's the best place for us. When rough patches come up I don't question if it's because we homeschool because I've come to see that rough patches are a part of parenting no matter what we're doing.

It's a huge leap, going from being in the school mindset to the homeschooling mindset. I think that building a network of homeschooling families and getting some experience to see what it's like for your family are the two biggest things that can help out with this.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
I agree, I really THINK a Mom can teach her children best. So I see your son is close to the age of my oldest. Will you be starting kindergarten next year then?? Good luck to you Mama!!

OMGosh are you sure you aren't me . Totally me and my husband tried to say that exact quote in "nice" words. I see you want to continue your schooling too. Will you do that while homeschooling?? I'd really like to maybe at least go to evening class and get my LPN, I could do that while homeschooling I think. If I can go two years without getting pregnant .

We've had a vaccine fallout and to me that's kind of God saying, "come on, you need to give it a try". As much as i have worried and spent researching this, I totally think this is God's way of telling me I should homeschool or at least try!

YES! I plan to continue with my own schooling. I'm thinking (and hoping) I will give the kids some sort of busy work they can do alone (or almost alone) while I do homework. So we will all be doing something at the same time. I'm only taking two - three classes at a time so I'm not too overwhelmed. It will take me a few more years (at the rate I'm going!) to even get my associates degree for an RN. And once I start working I plan to work two - three days a week. Surely we can do what we need to do school-wise on my off days. Who says you can't do school on a Saturday or Sunday!? LOL
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote