Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
icthusfishie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone been afraid to homeschool??

That fear is one of the reasons I came here to the HSing section tonight! I believe in HSing, I (think) I want to, but good grief, what if I screw it up?? I can't keep up with the house the way it is, DS LOVES LOVES LOVES preschool...

I'm busy researching curriculum now. DS is in his first year of pre-k at a local Christian church. I tried pre-k at home, and it went over like a load of bricks. Neither of us was having fun. I had little patience. There is actually a lot of pressure to HS around here, but not from family.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Alleeta
Registered Users

Just want to add some more reassurance from someone who was homeschooled till 14 (started junior college at that point), with a mom who also couldn't manage a clean house, didn't have structured school hours, etc, etc. We did mostly practial every day things and learned from those, with some workbooks, mostly for math. If we were interested in it, she made it a learning experience. Our scocial activities were wide and varied, including homeschool groups, craft groups, scouting groups, 4H, dance, gymsantics, etc.

What would you expect with a background like that?

Probably not someone who graduated from UC Davis with a BS in Chemistry at 20, and is currently a Sr. Principal Industrial Engineer, but that's what happened. and I was not the only one, my sister is a Mechanical Engineer, currently working on her Masters Degree. (there are only 2 of us)

And I will happily be giving up that career in a month and a half to stay home and homeschool my own children, which I have been looking forward to doing for many years. in fact my husband and I have been working toward this since we were married 13 years ago, unfortunately he didn't have the advantage of being homeschooled and hadn't even finished junior college when we got married, so it has taken us awhile to work through that.

If you are concensious enough to be worried about it (and be posting here), you'll be fine, no matter if you have a clean house, or structured school hours
Alleeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's an awesome story Alleeta!
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
greenearthbaby
Registered Users
seller

Thank you Alleeta! I am a hs'ing mom (in my second year) and had one of those "I am not enough" days. Thanks for your story. I think it helps most to hear from adults who were hs'ed as children.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #15
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleeta View Post
Just want to add some more reassurance from someone who was homeschooled till 14 (started junior college at that point), with a mom who also couldn't manage a clean house, didn't have structured school hours, etc, etc. We did mostly practial every day things and learned from those, with some workbooks, mostly for math. If we were interested in it, she made it a learning experience. Our scocial activities were wide and varied, including homeschool groups, craft groups, scouting groups, 4H, dance, gymsantics, etc.

What would you expect with a background like that?

Probably not someone who graduated from UC Davis with a BS in Chemistry at 20, and is currently a Sr. Principal Industrial Engineer, but that's what happened. and I was not the only one, my sister is a Mechanical Engineer, currently working on her Masters Degree. (there are only 2 of us)

And I will happily be giving up that career in a month and a half to stay home and homeschool my own children, which I have been looking forward to doing for many years. in fact my husband and I have been working toward this since we were married 13 years ago, unfortunately he didn't have the advantage of being homeschooled and hadn't even finished junior college when we got married, so it has taken us awhile to work through that.

If you are concensious enough to be worried about it (and be posting here), you'll be fine, no matter if you have a clean house, or structured school hours
Awesome, thanks for sharing your story.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
Pelauita
Registered Users
seller

I am curious about homeschooling. These posts have been really helpful. I am wondering though, what do you do if your child has no siblings? Where is the social outlet for them?
Pelauita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
Alleeta
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelauita View Post
I am curious about homeschooling. These posts have been really helpful. I am wondering though, what do you do if your child has no siblings? Where is the social outlet for them?
I would think similar places to where it was for the 2 of us - homeschool groups (if you have local ones), find or start a crafts group, scouts, 4H, FFA, chruch groups, dance, gymnastics or tumbling classes. The major ones that I remember growing up are definately scouts (we did Girl Scouts and then found an Explorer Post later on) and our local homeschool groups, that we did a lot of activites with - park day, field trips, classes at several local places specifically set up for homeschoolers, etc. All of these would be great, no matter how many children are in the family.
Alleeta is offline   Reply With Quote