Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:
Weekend Away???

Hi mamas, our young married's group is planning a weekend camping trip...leave Friday afternoon/evening and come back either late Saturday/early Sunday (for church)...DD is turning 12 months Nov. 4th and the camping trip will be at the end of November. She's still mostly BF'ing but will take bottles/solids/sippy/etc. She generally does well with a sitter and my MIL would be taking her for the weekend. My concern is making sure she doesn't wean during that weekend and not letting my supply drop too much. I have a Medela PISA and the battery pack...although having to carry it and stop to pump every few hours would be a pain and a half -_- I don't pump very well anymore...especially from my left breast. I used to be able to pump a good 8-9 oz. first thing in the morning and now my first of the morning pump only gets me 3-4 oz total. I would need to pump all of November to get a stash ready for the trip and even then I'd be concerned about not having enough for exclusively bottle feeding for 2 days...so my question is...

Have any of you had to do this before? How did you manage it? Any tips or recommendations? Also, how long does a battery pack last for a PISA? Should I take 2 full sets of batteries (like 20 batteries...-_-) or do you think 1 set will be enough? I've never even left her overnight before...we've been apart for a few hours at most but never more than maybe 8 hours during the day. Honestly, I'm not even sure I can handle it...-_- Should I just make everyone deal with it and take her with me? I have a good backpack carrier (Kelty Kids for hiking) I could leave diapers in the tent and just take 1-2 in the back pocket of the carrier along with a sippy for her...it wouldn't be hard to manage...I just know that generally, these things are for couples only...no babies....if she were younger it wouldn't be a big deal but no one understands about BF'ing babies...I'm the only one other than one other couple (who doesn't attend this group) that has ever even BF'd a baby. None of them really get the whole BF'ing/CD'ing thing...I'm concerned it might be hard to explain.

Advertisement

~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Weekend Away???

It sounds like you are stressed about
1) pumping enough milk before-hand for a stash to last the weekend
2) pumping enough milk on your trip to keep up your supply and feel comfortable
3) pump logistics while camping - hauling it, having enough batteries, finding time to pump
4) your baby forgetting how to nurse / losing interest in nursing while you are gone, leading to weaning earlier than you are comfortable with
5) leaving your baby for 2 nights when you have previously only left her for 8 hours
6) others on the trip not understanding why you want to bring the baby

I would totally bring the baby camping with me. I went on a girls trip last week and I was the only one to bring my baby with me (18 months), but nobody was upset about it, and she was totally fine. I carried her around on my back all over the place. For me, the choices were either go and bring the baby, or don't go. I didn't even really consider leaving her for 2 nights - I'm just not ready for that at all. On the other hand, another mama chose to leave her baby home with dad and brought her pump instead, and she was happy with that choice. If you are okay with that, then that can work for you too with some planning. But don't feel like bringing the baby isn't an option just because you would be the only one - it is fine if that's what you want to do! Don't sacrifice that just because you think that others won't understand. Those same people wouldn't understand your pumping needs either, so either way they will be dealing with something they don't understand. Might as well do what makes you most comfortable then! And camping with a baby is totally doable - especially a breastfed baby!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

You've summed it up quite nicely actually ^_^ I haven't made a decision for sure either way. I know I could make it work either way just not sure what I can really "handle" per say. DH really wants us to have the weekend without M but I just don't know...You're right though, they certainly wouldn't get the pumping either. Out of curiosity, (because seriously, this is the one thing I haven't figured out) how would I keep milk while camping? I wouldn't be able to go get ice very easily and I certainly wouldn't be able to freeze it in a cooler...How would I even be able to keep what I pump while camping?
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
redpowerlady
Registered Users
seller

I would definitely take baby with me. Of course the PP put it perfectly. I'm just talking about *my* decision if I were in your shoes. Some people might not like it at first but they'd get used to it. This society really needs to get used to having babies around anyway. We need to be more mother friendly. (okay mini rant, haha).
redpowerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Will you have food that you are keeping cold? If so, then however you are keeping food cold would work for the milk. Maybe if you got a block of dry ice you could put that in a cooler and it would keep for 2 days. We've camped with the baby, but it was at a campsite with facilities, so not exactly the same kind of situation. And I had my baby with me, so I didn't have to deal with that issue anyway. If it came down to it, you might have to pump just for your comfort and supply and not be able to keep the milk.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
mommajenn13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I'd leave baby at home and take a pump! But at this point, I'd LOVE to get a weekend away with just my hubby so that may be swaying my decision.

I think your LO will enjoy being with whoever she is staying with, and you will enjoy being with DH (I'm assuming) on a fun weekend.

IMO if it's a couples retreat and doesn't specifically say kids are allowed, I wouldn't bring mine. Not that you can't, but I'm thinking it might be a distraction. I went to the beach for my SIL's bachelorette type weekend and left my 12 week old with my DH. It was SUPER hard, but it was also fun! My SIL said NO kids, which really annoyed me at first, but I would have been annoyed had one of the other girls brought a very demanding newborn. Obviously, in your situation, yours is older so if you did bring her I don't think it woudl be an issue!

Wow I go back and forth! But I brought my pump to the beach and was pumping every 2-4 hours. It wasn't pleasant, and I missed my baby REALLY badly... and was worried a bout DH surviving nights with an EBF baby... but it worked!

If I were you I'd probably look into the dry ice thing unless you can get a cooler stocked with ice every 6-8 hours. And if you bring her, then I'm sure you'll have a blast with that too! Either way you can't go wrong, it's just your preference (obviously, which is why you asked the question!)
Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 12 months, I would go for sure. But, I'm like that. I LOVE my kids, but I need breaks too.