Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

Excess Lipase - Why NOW?

Is there anything in your diet / lifestyle / hormones that can lead to excess lipase in BM? The reason I ask is...

I'm a SAHM & don't have much need to pump milk, but I do occassionally & would like to start building up a bit of a freezer stash again. I pumped regularly until DS was about 4 mos old - DH would feed him a bottle each night, an occasional babysitter would feed him, & I wanted some extra stored "just in case". We often kept the milk in the fridge for several days or froze it & then used it weeks later. I taste tested it periodically & it was always fine. I eventually quit because it was a pain to pump & DS started on solids at 6 mos.

A couple of months ago I tried giving DS milk that was approx 2 mos old from the freezer. It had a strong soapy smell, and I assumed the smell was due to the age of the milk.

Yesterday I pumped some milk & put it straight into the fridge. I mixed it w/cereal for DS today - approx 18 hours after it was pumped - and LUCKILY licked the spoon before feeding it to DS. The soap taste was *SO* strong I almost gagged. I went running to the fridge & gulped down some milk so I could get the taste out of my mouth. The food even SMELLED like soap - I held it near DH's nose & he almost gagged too.

Everything I've read talks about some women producing excess lipase... but I haven't seen anything about a woman not having that problem, and then suddenly having it SO extreme??? Anyone know of a reason for it? Will scalding the milk I pump take care of the lipase, or am I possibly producing SO MUCH that it won't help??

Advertisement

Last edited by mom2fussy; 03-09-2007 at 10:27 AM.
mom2fussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Excess Lipase - Why NOW?

I know it's a long post but does anyone have any clue about this??
Old 03-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have many answers for you, but I have the same problem. Whenever I freeze milk, it always tastes spoiled when I defrost it. I read something that said scalding it before freezing will take care of the taste from lipase, but I wonder if that will also kill all of the beneficial antibodies, etc.? I wonder about diet, too, but don't know where to find the answers.LMK if you find anything out. I am a sahm too, so don't have to pump much. I've been pumping just before mixing w/ cereal --what a pain!
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, if I find out anything, I'll post it here. I read something about certain supplements possibly causing it, but I'm not taking any, so I know that's not my problem.

My milk was *SOOO* soap-y tasting after less than 24 hours, it was just unbelievable. Seriously, I could have put a bar of soap straight into my mouth & it wouldn't have tasted as strong as that milk did!!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

I had this problem also. I am very active in LLL in my area, and with the hospital LC's and groups (I'm a social worker with pregnant moms/parents) so i had lots of both professional and personal connections....talked to well over a dozen IBCLC's, LLLLeaders, Midwives, Doctors, etc.

It is not known what causes it, nor does there seem to be a way to fix it.

You *can* scald your milk, which will inactivate the enzyme lipase, and then store it.
As a pp was concerned, yes, it probably does kill off most of the beneficial properties of the BM. But, it won't affect the fact that the BM contains protein, carbs, fat, etc, nor will it completely destroy all the vitamins, etc.
Now, if you were an exclusive pumper or someone who pumped a LOT, like to work full time or something, this *could* lead to a problem. However, for occasional use, giving scalded milk is fine, and still probably better than using artificial milk to supplement with.

Frankly, human milk isn't designed to be pumped and stored. Some women luckily have little or no problem doing so. Some, like myself, have breasts that react VERY poorly to a pump (it was darn near impossible, even with a hospital grade one - one LC said that in 20 yrs of experience she'd never seen a breast refuse to be pumped like mine, LOL!), and some , also like myself, have lipase issues which renders their milk practically inedible within hours of leaving the body.
As to my personal experience, and this is not scientific, LOL, but i found that i would get fweer problems if I was able to get a bunch of fat in the milk. Invariably, when i would try my little bottles of pumped milk, the ones with a thick layer of fat covering the top fared better than the ones with little fat. Noone i talked to was able to explain why this happened, but that was my experience.

Again, scalded milk is not going to deprive your child of nutrition for occasionaly use.. it will pretty much be the same as artificial milk in that it contains the basic nutrients without all the "other" stuff, like immune factors, etc.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
mom2fussy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
As to my personal experience, and this is not scientific, LOL, but i found that i would get fweer problems if I was able to get a bunch of fat in the milk. Invariably, when i would try my little bottles of pumped milk, the ones with a thick layer of fat covering the top fared better than the ones with little fat. Noone i talked to was able to explain why this happened, but that was my experience.
bobandjess - THANKS so much for your input on this subject! I've tried & tried to research it, and was not finding much information.

It's interesting that you mentioned the fat in the milk... I never would have thought of it on my own, but there was definitely a LOT less fat in that milk I just tried using compared to when DS was very young. Hmmm....