Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #21
Zappa
Registered Users
seller

Re: "but HOW did daddy put the baby in your tummy?"

When I was pregnant with DS my 3 year old daughter started asking a lot of these questions as well. Since we went through infertility treatments to conceive I told DD that we took a small part of Daddy and a small part of me and the doctor helped us put them together in my uterus. It was a little bit of a copout on my part but she accepted it. When she asked how the baby would get out I told her that I would push the baby out of my vagina and that Daddy and the doctor would be there to help. When she asked if she could watch I told her that pushing a baby out hurts a little bit and I didn't want her to see me hurting so she would stay with Grama.

We did have a few embarrassing conversations with grocery store cashiers after that where she would tell them about the baby coming out of Mommy's vagina.

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
My then 6yo asked why I "ate him". That's how he thinks he got there.
Very cute, but very innocent.

Then he learned about chicken eggs & biology in 3rd grade. So I then explained it in egg & fertilized terms. Does he know EXACTLY how one gets to the other? No. His daddy can handle that one in their sex talk in a few years.

Oh, and just personal pref, but I leave marriage out of making babies talk. You don't NEED to get married to make a baby and I'd hate for a kid to get the impression that sex before marriage CANNOT produce a baby. Marriage is nice, but that's a social status, not a biological status.
My 4 yo DS (at the time) came to me one morning and demanded to know what a sperm tastes like? He knew that an egg and sperm get together, but didn't know HOW they did it. The most obvious answer was that I ate the sperm.

OP, I like to use a quote from the movie Rob Roy about how babies get in: "The same road they take to get out." At this age, "an opening between the Mommy's legs" is enough explanation, but there's nothing wrong with giving it a proper name like vagina or birth canal either.

It's very sweet that he wants to do a special hug with you. After all it's SPECIAL! I'd just make sure he understands that it's only something grown ups can do simply because he won't have everything grown right until then. The reason I stress this is so that it is understood not to be some sort of grown up priviledge.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #23
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used a medical anatomy textbook for my science girl to explain the science basics--sperm + egg = baby.

But then about 6 months later, she put that together with mom & dad & figured it all out on her own.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote