Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
greenMamaOwl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation (Almost) 26-month-old Toddler not interested in Potty Training AT ALL! Need advice!

Hey Mamas,

I need your help/advice! DS just turned 2 at the very beginning of September, and recently I have tried to get him into PTing, but he wants no part in it! He has no interest at all. I want to start PLing now, as we have another on the way, due in January.

Should I just go right to wearing underwear, and trying to get him to grasp the concept that way and stick to it? Should I make a chart and offer rewards for going in the potty?

I did buy a couple of Super Undies here off of FSOT, but they are a little big on him.

If you have any tips or advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Last edited by greenMamaOwl; 10-27-2010 at 04:10 PM.
greenMamaOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Re: (Almost) 26-month-old Toddler not interested in Potty Training AT ALL! Need advic

Honestly? I would give it a year and try it again when he turns 3 or sooner if he starts to show signs of being ready and interested. It will be much easier for both of you if you wait until he is ready to PL and not force it. In the meantime I would keep the little potty out and ask him if he wants to use it, but don't force it. Read him the PLing books and show him the movies and see if that sparks any interest.

If you do seriously want to give PLing a go now, I would go straight to underwear while you are at home and reserve the trainers for when you are out. I never really did a sticker chart or anything with my kids- I tried but they weren't interested. They just liked getting all of the praise and shouts when they were successful. (DS PL'd at 35 months in 3 days, DD PL'd at 25 months in about 3 weeks.)
Old 10-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
MooKieS_MoM
Registered Users
Formerly: red**hc**ck
seller

Re: (Almost) 26-month-old Toddler not interested in Potty Training AT ALL! Need advic

Ditto!

If he isn't showing interest he probably isn't ready and forcing it will not help! I tried that with DS and it was this until he was ready. But what I did was ease off and forget about it give it some time and try again and it took 3 more tries before he was ready. In the meantime I would talk to him about peepeeing on the potty...and tell him how fun it was and that was what big boys did ect. When he was ready and he "got it" seriously it took only two weeks and he was PT.

When the time came the sticker chart REALLY worked for us. I took him to the dollar store and let him pick out his own stickers and told him he could have one every time he sat on the potty and put it on his chart. I also had him draw his own pictures and we hung them around the potty in the bathroom so it was like his space. I put his favorite books in there so he could look at the books while going. I bribed him to poop with little hershey bars......yes it worked.

OH and I forgot to add: I kept him in undies the whole time and pull up's at night and I sectioned off the house so he was with me the whole time and I also gave him LOTS of water to drink...

Mommy to 3 cuties (4,2,1)

Last edited by MooKieS_MoM; 10-27-2010 at 06:55 PM.
MooKieS_MoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
mamamegan841
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the other mamas. Even though I know you are probably tired of changing diapers, if he's not ready, he's just not going to do it. My SIL started PTing my niece back in the Spring and she is still not trained. She just doesn't have any interest in the potty and it doesn't bother her at all to be wet or to sit in her poop. SIL keeps pushing it on her and even though she did ok in the beginning when she got an M&M after she went, she has just stopped going to the potty at all. She has never once pooped in the potty either. I would suggest just waiting until he is ready and then it should go very smoothly.
mamamegan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
SevenFinns
Registered Users
Formerly: rebshields
seller

I am having the same problem with my 28 mo old. We had our second baby in September and were really hoping to only have one in diapers. It didn't happen for us You might be able to capitalize on the difference between being a baby and a big boy with your toddler. That didn't work with mine: he insists that he is a baby and not a big boy. We're waiting on some interest from his side: at this point, he sometimes will sit on the potty, but other times he gets really upset if we suggest it. We're thinking of letting him run around without clothes, but we also have a lot of traveling coming up in December. With my husband deploying in Feb., it looks doubtful that he will be using the potty any time soon. I'd love to hear advice though!
SevenFinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
greenMamaOwl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
Honestly? I would give it a year and try it again when he turns 3 or sooner if he starts to show signs of being ready and interested. It will be much easier for both of you if you wait until he is ready to PL and not force it. In the meantime I would keep the little potty out and ask him if he wants to use it, but don't force it. Read him the PLing books and show him the movies and see if that sparks any interest.

If you do seriously want to give PLing a go now, I would go straight to underwear while you are at home and reserve the trainers for when you are out. I never really did a sticker chart or anything with my kids- I tried but they weren't interested. They just liked getting all of the praise and shouts when they were successful. (DS PL'd at 35 months in 3 days, DD PL'd at 25 months in about 3 weeks.)
I think you are right. We def. do not want to pressure it. I'm sure that doesn't help make it easier, at all! I will give it time, I know he's only almost 26 months. I just sometimes feel like a failure or lazy for him not being PT'ed now. I know that's not the case, so I should stop letting it bother me!!

I'm sure when the time is right, it'll happen. I just hope it happens before he turns 3... that would be wonderful. Thanks so much for your in-put and advice, I greatly appreciate it!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
greenMamaOwl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmachchick View Post
Ditto!

If he isn't showing interest he probably isn't ready and forcing it will not help! I tried that with DS and it was this until he was ready. But what I did was ease off and forget about it give it some time and try again and it took 3 more tries before he was ready. In the meantime I would talk to him about peepeeing on the potty...and tell him how fun it was and that was what big boys did ect. When he was ready and he "got it" seriously it took only two weeks and he was PT.

When the time came the sticker chart REALLY worked for us. I took him to the dollar store and let him pick out his own stickers and told him he could have one every time he sat on the potty and put it on his chart. I also had him draw his own pictures and we hung them around the potty in the bathroom so it was like his space. I put his favorite books in there so he could look at the books while going. I bribed him to poop with little hershey bars......yes it worked.

OH and I forgot to add: I kept him in undies the whole time and pull up's at night and I sectioned off the house so he was with me the whole time and I also gave him LOTS of water to drink...
You are totally right, Mama! I don't think forcing the issue will help, either. It might just make it worse. Thank you so much for your help, advice, and tips. I really appreciate it!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
greenMamaOwl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamegan841 View Post
I agree with the other mamas. Even though I know you are probably tired of changing diapers, if he's not ready, he's just not going to do it. My SIL started PTing my niece back in the Spring and she is still not trained. She just doesn't have any interest in the potty and it doesn't bother her at all to be wet or to sit in her poop. SIL keeps pushing it on her and even though she did ok in the beginning when she got an M&M after she went, she has just stopped going to the potty at all. She has never once pooped in the potty either. I would suggest just waiting until he is ready and then it should go very smoothly.
It's not really the fact that I'm tired of changing dipes, I mean, yes it would be nice to cut them out completely! But, a friend of mine has a DS the same age, and he is already fully potty trained! I feel sometimes like a failure when she's "bragging" to me about how well her DS is doing with PTing, and is pretty much in all regular undies. I mean, I am happy for her, and glad he took to it right away, that's wonderful! I just have to remember, though, all kids are different, and it'll happen for us when the time is right!

Thanks for sharing the story about your SIL PTing your niece, that does to show that pushing it, doesn't help at all!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
greenMamaOwl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebshields View Post
I am having the same problem with my 28 mo old. We had our second baby in September and were really hoping to only have one in diapers. It didn't happen for us You might be able to capitalize on the difference between being a baby and a big boy with your toddler. That didn't work with mine: he insists that he is a baby and not a big boy. We're waiting on some interest from his side: at this point, he sometimes will sit on the potty, but other times he gets really upset if we suggest it. We're thinking of letting him run around without clothes, but we also have a lot of traveling coming up in December. With my husband deploying in Feb., it looks doubtful that he will be using the potty any time soon. I'd love to hear advice though!
It sounds like you are talking about my DS! When we ask him if he wants to sit on his potty, he sturnly says "NO!" Although, no seems to be his favorite word right now, but still, he shows no interest.

I put big boy underwear on him yesterday to "experiment" and they had motorcycles on them (he loves motorcycles) and DH told him that he couldn't pee on his vroom vrooms, and to let Mama know when he had to pee. Well, we sat him on his potty. He wasn't interested. He sat there for a good half hour though, lol. I said, "Are you going to pee in there, like a big boy?" and he make a face/noise like he actually WAS trying to pee, but it didn't happen.

I am just going to stick with not forcing it, and allow him to get interested in it on his own!
Old 10-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
auntievenom
Registered Users
seller

When your new LO gets here in January, start doing elimination communication with him/her (even if only part-time). Have the older son "help" you take the baby to the potty, by telling you about cues or getting the little potty for you. Often an older will want to be like the baby (as is typically the case when a previously PTd kiddo reverts) and will also want to use the potty.

You can also use EC techniques with him now - just talking about pottying with no stress or expectation. This helps to make the transition that much easier a year from now when you want to tackle it seriously.