Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone else have a SUPER picky DH?!

It's HORRIBLE. He doesn't eat fish, he eats very little chicken (and complains if I make it too often), very little pork, no steak, no roast, no turkey, no fish....the list goes on and on.

The list of things he LIKES are here:
tacos
spaghetti (pastas of most sorts)
pizza
casseroles
bbq pork chops (in very small amounts)
meatloaf
potatoes
mexican dishes (enchiladas, rice dishes, etc)
hot dogs
most soups (as long as they don't have much meat)

I really enjoy salads, sandwiches, a good steak or roast, FISH, NEW THINGS, etc. It makes it so hard to set a good example for our children because I am frequently making him something and then making something else for myself. I very much enjoy healthy foods like a lean meat with veggies. This is not an option for him. It makes me not want to cook at all Our kids won't TOUCH casseroles or really any combination foods (where it's more than one ingredient). I really struggle with weight and the things he likes makes it really hard for me to control it.

It really depresses me and we fight about food a LOT. Anyone have this problem in their house or any ideas on what I can do?

Advertisement

athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
proudmommy5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else have a SUPER picky DH?!

I thought my kids were picky, but my dh beats them by a long shot.
proudmommy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Could you look through a cookbook together and maybe pick out a few new recipes to try? That way he'd have input?

But if it seems like a battle, you may want to just cook your meals, and if he doesn't like it then he can fix himself something different.

One thing that we do is write up a menu and it's on the calendar right on the fridge. My DH is the opposite of picky, but it helps us plan, and makes it so that we're not rushing at the last minute. And it really helps with the budget.

And maybe try to find casseroles that have just a few simple ingredients that are healthy and have your kiddos at least try them. They might just like it!

A few casseroles that we like (and I'm the picky one) are: mexican lasagna (it's zucchini and a few other veggies layered between tortillas with sauce and cheese), chili-pasta skillet (it's hamburger with beans sort of like a chili with a little pasta cooked in), meat pie (literally meat cooked w/ onion and spices and cheese and egg) in a pie crust), and quiche. They're not all super low fat, but not terrible either. The mexi lasagna though is from a diabetic cookbook, so it can't be that bad for you. Let me know if you want any of the recipes and I'll message them to you.

Good luck! That sounds like a nightmare to have to fight w/ your kids and your husband over dinner choices. My son also doesn't enjoy casseroles, but often he just needs to try a bite to realize that they're actually pretty yummy.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can convince my daughter to try a bite of things, but my son has a LOT of other issues with food. We're lucky he finally eats at all. We've done the menu thing before and he has picked out recipes for us to try- it works for awhile.... I work a really odd schedule and it is always rotating....we only eat together about 4 times a week because of it. It's just hard.
Cautiously expecting #5
Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I thought my DH was picky, but not so much compared to yours. ((HUGS)) mama. Mine hates chicken, doesn't care for pork and potatoes and pretty much wants beef for every meal. sigh

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Yep! My dh is picky. However, he is also really easy going. We could have steak and potatoes every night, or pizza, and he'd be perfectly happy. He's just that kind of guy. He has the few things he likes, and he doesn't mind eating them over and over.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to think mine was picky, until I saw your list, but I feel your pain. We have alot of the same things over and over again because there's things he just won't eat.

Fish being a big one. Lately, I've been making different things from things I think he'll like, or that are similar to things he likes. It's been working pretty good. I also don't tell him what's in things sometimes, and he ends up liking them..

But Miranda beats your husband out of the water. lol So, I have that to deal with. might not be an adult, just means she's more irrational. lol
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
Yep! My dh is picky. However, he is also really easy going. We could have steak and potatoes every night, or pizza, and he'd be perfectly happy. He's just that kind of guy. He has the few things he likes, and he doesn't mind eating them over and over.
HE doesn't mind eating things over and over but I do. I want to eat NORMAL things. I ENJOY eating healthy. That's what the problem is. We could rotate pasta, tacos, and pizza and he'd be fine, but I would be miserable...
Cautiously expecting #5
Old 11-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
HE doesn't mind eating things over and over but I do. I want to eat NORMAL things. I ENJOY eating healthy. That's what the problem is. We could rotate pasta, tacos, and pizza and he'd be fine, but I would be miserable...
When I make stuff, I'll chop the veggies/sauces/whatever he doesn't like and set them aside. Then after I serve him, I'll throw it in. Or, if it's a leftover pizza night, I'll make something only I like, and he can just eat cold pizza. He also works a LOT of over night/30 hour shifts, so when he's not coming home for dinner, I make something he won't like. Especially pie. I love fruit pies, but he won't eat any fruit that isn't fresh, so I make pies when he is at work. I will also split up packages of chicken and make things like dijon chicken. He won't eat any condiments.

Like for dinner tonight, we're having Mexican. He wont eat peppers, tomatoes, onions, olives, sour cream (only fresh milk or cheese, no yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, etc), or Spanish rice. So, I make them on the side, and if he doesn't eat the rice, I don't flip out.

He has a real thing for textures, so he does not like chunky foods at all. Sometimes I will puree the veggies, and then he will eat them, but he won't eat chunky sauces.

So I guess I just work around it. I went through a phase where it really bugged me. I think we'd been married about 5 years, but now I guess I've just accepted it and worked around it.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
jenthe10
Registered Users

Mine is SUPER picky... I never get to go to ethnic restaurants because he won't go with me and I just can't bring myself to go alone. When we first got together (maybe like 3 months of dating) I made this awesome fancy dinner and he was nice and ate it and actually admitted it wasn't that bad, but he still hates new things. Here's what he'll eat
Pizza
Burritos
Enchiladas
Spaghetti
Mac n cheese
PBJ
chicken
Burgers
BBQ sandwiches
Thats about it. He doesn't like anything grilled (really?!?!), he doesn't like beef (steak mostly) because it gets stuck in his teeth, nothing spicy, nothing "different", he usually won't eat pork unless its in something (ie no pork chops, loin, etc), I have to force him to eat his veggies and fruit... I could go on.
Now we pretty much do you eat what i cook and get over it! He eats (and likes) more things than he did when we first started dating. The only things my MIL semi knows how to cook are spaghetti, lasagna, chicken and rice casserole, and mac n cheese... oh and scrambled eggs. I think the lack of variety growing up might be why he is so picky now.
jenthe10 is offline   Reply With Quote