Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Smile 5 point harness for 5 year old?

My almost 6 year old DD is in a Radian 80 right now, but her torso is REALLY long. She is at the point of almost out of growing room. What carseat is larger? I need to get her a new one by pretty much January I want to say since she is growing like a weed. Anyways, please make any suggestions you think I could use. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: 5 point harness for 5 year old?

My 5yo is nearly even with the top slots on her Radian, too. The Radian does allow you to use the seat with the shoulders above the top slot, but if you want a different seat, the Nautilus, Maestro, and Frontier all have taller top slots, and also convert to boosters down the road.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

our 7yo ds is in a nautilus and he still has a little room to grow. i've never seen the Radian 80 so i can't say how they compare, but if you want to measure from the seat to the top of the headrest, i can do the same in ds' nautilus

ETA: i can measure to the top slot for the harness straps as well

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?

Last edited by karabeth05; 10-28-2010 at 01:09 PM.
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
an_aurora
Registered Users

The Nautilus's top straps are about an inch taller than the Radian.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

If your daughter is developmentally typical, then she will be safe in a booster at this point. Unless there is a reason that you definitely want a 5 point harness, you could also look at highback boosters. For a child who is at least 4 years old and weighs at least 40#, there is no evidence that a 5 point harness is any safer than a properly-used booster. While many 4 year olds are not mature enough to use a booster properly (they need to sit still to keep the belt properly positioned, and they usually don't), an almost-6 year old is likely mature enough (again, as long as she is developmentally typical).
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
If your daughter is developmentally typical, then she will be safe in a booster at this point. Unless there is a reason that you definitely want a 5 point harness, you could also look at highback boosters. For a child who is at least 4 years old and weighs at least 40#, there is no evidence that a 5 point harness is any safer than a properly-used booster. While many 4 year olds are not mature enough to use a booster properly (they need to sit still to keep the belt properly positioned, and they usually don't), an almost-6 year old is likely mature enough (again, as long as she is developmentally typical).
I really feel more comfortable with her in a 5 point harness. It is just safer IMO. Does anyone have recommendations on which is better of the Frontier or Nautilus and etc? My DD is at the height for the top straps, and I just dunno if it is truly safe with her taller.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

You're certainly welcome to keep her in a 5 point harness for as long as you want (provided that she fits). I was just pointing out that there is no evidence whatsoever that either one is definitively safer for a child who is big enough and old enough for a high back booster. There is some non-definitive evidence that a harness is safer for certain types of crashes, and non-definitive evidence that a booster is safer for certain types of crashes. But overall we just can't compare.

If you want to keep her harnessed as long as possible, then the frontier 85 will last significantly longer than the nautilus. If you're just looking to harness for another year or so, then the nautilus is probably sufficient.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

double post! What is up with these lately?!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
You're certainly welcome to keep her in a 5 point harness for as long as you want (provided that she fits). I was just pointing out that there is no evidence whatsoever that either one is definitively safer for a child who is big enough and old enough for a high back booster. There is some non-definitive evidence that a harness is safer for certain types of crashes, and non-definitive evidence that a booster is safer for certain types of crashes. But overall we just can't compare.

If you want to keep her harnessed as long as possible, then the frontier 85 will last significantly longer than the nautilus. If you're just looking to harness for another year or so, then the nautilus is probably sufficient.
Oh true. I do appreciate your advice. My little girl is still my baby I guess. LOL! I will look into the Frontier 85 and then make my decision. A booster does sound tempting. LOL!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
gabesmamamadeit
Registered Users
seller

For a kid outgrowing the Radian I would go with the Britax Frontier 85. It will give you a few more yeard harnessed and then convert to a latchable booster.

Examples of my work
gabesmamamadeit is offline   Reply With Quote