Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
jesr
Registered Users
seller

Sonlight shipping cost to APO's..

I was wondering how many large flat rate priority boxes do you think Sonlight Core K with readers 1 , Science K with nonconsumables kit and LA 1. We are stationed overseas, and the shipping to our APO seems so high, I had finally got my head around spending around $600. and then to see a $75-85 shipping charge. And was wondering if there was a cheaper way. thanks

Advertisement

Jessica - SAHM to Ethan, Aug. 2005 and Dylan Jan. 2008 Expecting #3 March 2011.
Married to the Love of my Life Keven since Jan. 6 2004 Proud AF Wife
jesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sonlight shipping cost to APO's..

I would not get the whole kit, but would find the books used. If you have someone in the States that would be willing to get the stuff and then mail it over, it might be cheaper. Not sure if them getting the stuff and then mailing it to you in the military flat rate box would be cheaper in the long run. I do know that if you get from Sonlight just want you can only get from them and then get the books used, it will save you money.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
jesr
Registered Users
seller

I've priced out books on Amazon new and used that would be cheaper than through Sonlight, but we only want very good quality used books and would prefer they are all shipped from the same place instead of many dif. vendors. When I add it all up it only saves us $25 off of the core since if we buy the whole core through sonlight it gives us the 10%off. Is there another good website for used books?
If we were in the states I am sure I could find most of the book at a thrift store for under $1 each. But dont have that option here and my mom doesnt have the time to travel to a big thrift store and search for them. I am contemplating a trip back to the states in Nov or Dec and maybe I can just wait it out til then. Maybe I'll head to the library and see which books they have from the first 3wks since Sonlight offers you the 1st 3 weeks lesson plan download for free.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
hauser
Registered Users
seller

You can check all the overseas libraries online. You can tell it just to search for your base too. I would say you will not find that many but enough to get you started. I can hardly ever find the book I am looking for here! They have a lot of books at the library here, but a lot of junk ones! Not many of the living books that are needed to learn well in my opinion. We do not use sonlight, but many of the books they use we read too. I normally find say 1 in 10 that we are looking for. We just but them as we go if I know I will use it again. Like Charlotte's Web for example. I know we will read that a million more times. Sometimes I have to look online, ebay or amazon or I have to just buy it at a British store.
I would say you will be happy if you just purchased it all even if you have to wait for it a little while.
There is a person here that is a sonlight rep. She is around Lakenheath. Maybe she could shed some light on the shipping situation? I dont' know if you cna look reps up online? That might be worth a try.
hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Check exodusbooks.com You can even search by sonlight. I love them. They ship promptly and the shipping is resonable. I normally find a ton of books there.
hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
dsccwhiz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have run into this w/SL. They keep changing their shipping policies and it is really frustrating. Homeschool Library Builders carries a lot of SL books and their shipping is reasonable. Also BAMM.com offers a 10% discount to military and free shipping. I get tons of books from them. If you are looking for the whole set check out VegSource as well. You can place a Want to Buy ad. There are always people selling entire cores there.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
jesr
Registered Users
seller

thanks ladies for the advice, im going to check out some of the sites today. Another thing that worries me is that the military could ship it on a boat over here and take 4-6wks. that would be upsetting. Our halloween costumes are currently on a boat. The downside to living overseas. lol
Old 10-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

http://www.ecbooks.com/cgi-bin/cshop/haven/index.tam

I don't know if they have any of their children's books listed, but if nothing else, you could contact them. They have free shipping when you spend $20 (including to APO/FPO), so if they have a decent number of the books you are looking for, it might be worth checking out. I have not shopped online there, only in store. The owner is retired military.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote