Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I guess we're having a strike. :( - Sakari, where are you? lol

I was kind of hoping we'd miss it, lol.

I only do timing with DS anyway, but in the past couple of days, he has been arching his back and completely refusing to sit on the potty at all. Before that, he would sometimes protest a little bit, but only for like half a second or so and then he'd relax and pee. Now, he'll just refuse altogether, or if I happen to get him in the right mood and he'll sit there, he just sits there and does nothing at all. I know it's not all about the catch, but it's gotten to the point now where I can't even remember the last time anything went into the potty. :/

So does this sound like a strike to you guys? I plan on continuing to offer when he'll let me, even if there isn't anything happening into the toilet. He's getting really close to walking (can walk pretty decently now if someone holds both of his hands, and "wants" to walk when holding just one hand, and sometimes pulls to a stand and lets go), so I'm hoping that once he works out that skill that he'll remember how to go in the potty.

And wouldn't you know it? This situation of course WOULD happen only DAYS after I received his cute little undies, LOL.

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

Re: I guess we're having a strike. :( - Sakari, where are you? lol

have you tried a new potty spot lately? try changing it up somehow, maybe that would help a tiny bit.
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Hunter refuses to go anywhere but in the bathtub most of the time right now. Give it a try! Once they start to pull up and walk, it is much harder to get them to sit at all.
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
dumaine
Registered Users

Yep, this does sound like a strike to me. Our EC journey was filled with times like these. What we did was try different things until he started to want to use the potty again. Think, super creativity.

Here is just some of the things we would do.
-like others said, change potty location
-change potty-get a new little potty, a new seat for the big potty, use tub, a baby urinal, etc.
-get or make a potty cozy to make the potty more warm and fun. Maybe get a couple and change them up
-give him a special toy he only gets in the bathroom or when he is on the potty
-read or sing or do a silly dance when he is on potty
-tell him to close his eyes on the potty-this worked wonder for my DS for some reason!
-let him do something like hold him up to the light switch and have him turn bathroom lights on and off with his foot!
-turn light off and have going into the bathroom an adventure with a flashlight and do flashlight or shadow shows while he sits there
-imitate accidents with his toys, “oh no, Ducky has to go potty! Hurry, put him in the potty (little dish or something) so he doesn’t get pp all over!”
-see if he want privacy when he goes
-get a video, like Once Upon a Potty-worked wonders for both my kids (sometimes they liked sitting on the potty and going while they watched it)
-have him help clean up the messes if he has an accident. Then he will see how much quicker and easier it is if he uses the potty
-have him just wear jogging pants with nothing underneath, because misses may be more uncomfortable that way and could inspire him to use potty

We would do these things and others and eventually one would work and the strike would be over. Occasionally, nothing would work and we would back off for a while-a week to about a month usually if I remember correctly. Good luck! Let us know what happens!

ecaPants are patent pending
dumaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
I was kind of hoping we'd miss it, lol.

I only do timing with DS anyway, but in the past couple of days, he has been arching his back and completely refusing to sit on the potty at all. Before that, he would sometimes protest a little bit, but only for like half a second or so and then he'd relax and pee. Now, he'll just refuse altogether, or if I happen to get him in the right mood and he'll sit there, he just sits there and does nothing at all. I know it's not all about the catch, but it's gotten to the point now where I can't even remember the last time anything went into the potty. :/

So does this sound like a strike to you guys? I plan on continuing to offer when he'll let me, even if there isn't anything happening into the toilet. He's getting really close to walking (can walk pretty decently now if someone holds both of his hands, and "wants" to walk when holding just one hand, and sometimes pulls to a stand and lets go), so I'm hoping that once he works out that skill that he'll remember how to go in the potty.

And wouldn't you know it? This situation of course WOULD happen only DAYS after I received his cute little undies, LOL.
LOL! Here I am (stupid computer trouble lately ) Not that you need me ... you've gotten great replies!

I guess my thoughts would be along the same lines - that being creative might help - he might just be bored. Goodness knows I get bored sometimes with things that I've been doing for months! Changing the location, time, routine, etc can help!

You mentioned he just started walking - so that might be a factor. Or it's possible that there's some other "hidden" issue. Like Dumaine mentioned, is the seat cold? Maybe that's why he doesn't want to sit? (even if he's been fine with the temperature previously!) Does it hurt when he pees? You mentioned that he still poos, it's just pee that's changed - will he stand to pee? If he won't stand or sit, it could be that he's uncomfortable. Try giving him some watered down cranberry juice.

Or, what else? Could it be that he wants more independence? Instead of just taking him potty when you know he has to go, you could give him more responsibility by saying, "it looks like you have to go - would you like to?" If he says no, or arches (that's your NO! ) then back off and say, "Ok, you tell me when you want to" Obviously you might have misses but then if you're having them anyway - no big deal! Try that for awhile so that he really understands that if you ASK him if he has to go - that you'll respect his answer. and just see if that does anything. Maybe he even wants to take himself! You could just "happen" to be barebummed and near a little potty when you know he'll have to go.

As always, if he's had a new food lately, that could be causing issues - or other changes non-related to the bathroom can have a potty-response not enough sleep, new routines, etc, etc.

GL! I hope something of that helped

one more thought - has anything in YOUR approach changed with the new undies? I would treat them the exact same way you treated the diapers. Maybe he's picked up on a slight sense of it being "wrong" to get undies wet? Or that if he doesn't pee in undies he's a "big boy"? Maybe he doesn't want to grow up! Make sure that you don't have a bigger vested interest in keeping the cute undies dry! Maybe you accidentally have a bigger reaction to wet undies (and pants!) than you did with dipes? etc.

HTH! You're doing great! This will be short-lived, don't worry.

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. So I think I've figured out that he apparently doesn't like the large toilet anymore. I'd been using it with him b/c it was so convenient, especially when out and about (I don't really have a spot for a "car potty" or anything). So now I'm back to using the BBLP and dumping/rinsing all the time. He seems to like sitting on it. I guess I can keep offering the large potty to him every so often and maybe he will get back to it one of these days, lol.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
Sakari
Registered Users

Yay! you figured it out! Hardly a "pause" Anyway - you can just "forget" to leave the bblp in a useable spot after awhile and see if he'll use the toilet again without the visual of the little potty as an option... yeah, I'm deceitful, what can I say? But I admit I succumbed to that trick awhile ago - I knew both girls COULD use the toilet - they just didn't feel like it! (yep - the 4 yo preferred the bblp, too ) so after rinsing it one time I just left it up in the sink - and whatdoyou know? they used the toilet!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, it's not really in a usable spot now, lol. I have to take it out and position it each time. And he's starting to not want to even sit on it long enough to go, but just wants to crawl right off or get distracted and clap my hands or whatever.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I knew I shouldn't have said anything about the BBLP b/c now he is refusing that, too. lol.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
onnalee13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh, i just had to respond. I am right there with you and starting to feel dejected.

we were cruising right along and bam. he wants nothing to do with it. i mean NOTHING, no tub- no toilet- no bblp. the fussing- the arching- the playing... He did go at church this last weekend however once when i offered it. i'm frustrated thinking all that work for him/me to quit.

not to mention i have a state exam on wednesday.
lol, i told him yestserday after mommy takes her test we're getting back in the saddle together.

so he's a week away from 8 months and crawling now (For about 2 weeks) so i figure that has something to do with it. but i am just not sure what to do about it either.

so thanks for asking your question as there are others out there who need help too! like me.

www.midlandsmidwifery.com
onnalee13 is offline   Reply With Quote