Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
sblw
Registered Users
seller

Re: I guess we're having a strike. :( - Sakari, where are you? lol

This is the EXACT thread I have been looking for! DD is almost 19 months and while we've never had completely dry days, she used to always poop in the potty and only wet her diaper 2-3 times a day. Now she rarely uses the potty, mostly b/c every time I try to put her on it she arches and puts her feet on the seat. Part of it is that she's just learned to walk in the last month, so she's too busy doing that to stop to go potty and I think the other part is that she is hitting those terrible 2's and EVERYTHING is a battle. She's still pre-verbal, so I keep hoping once she starts talking a bit more I can explain things to her better. I've been trying to tell her that poop and pee go in the potty only and not her diaper, but that's not really helping.
I am definitely going to try and let her get up there on her own (w/ a stool) as well as ask her if she needs to go and respect her answer. She's trying so hard to be a big girl. I thought for sure by 18 months we'd be done with diapers, but it turns out we're using them more than ever
Any other advice would really, really be welcome!

Advertisement

sblw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblw View Post
This is the EXACT thread I have been looking for! DD is almost 19 months and while we've never had completely dry days, she used to always poop in the potty and only wet her diaper 2-3 times a day. Now she rarely uses the potty, mostly b/c every time I try to put her on it she arches and puts her feet on the seat. Part of it is that she's just learned to walk in the last month, so she's too busy doing that to stop to go potty and I think the other part is that she is hitting those terrible 2's and EVERYTHING is a battle. She's still pre-verbal, so I keep hoping once she starts talking a bit more I can explain things to her better. I've been trying to tell her that poop and pee go in the potty only and not her diaper, but that's not really helping.
I am definitely going to try and let her get up there on her own (w/ a stool) as well as ask her if she needs to go and respect her answer. She's trying so hard to be a big girl. I thought for sure by 18 months we'd be done with diapers, but it turns out we're using them more than ever
Any other advice would really, really be welcome!
Do you still have a well established cue sound? Especially if she's non-verbal at the moment, really really really make sure you have a cue. That she knows that you know when she's going, whether or not it gets in the toilet is irrelevant. Even at her age! Just pretend you're starting over. It WILL help! just cue her every time you notice her going for a week or two, then start offering the potty again.

She could be bored. She could be testing you. She could be watching for your reactions. She could be just experimenting. Or she might be wondering if you're really invested in this experience. Are you really going to be there for me? If I'm bored will you make things interesting?

Vary your location, vary your routine, move the potty to a different room, let her pee outside (unless you live where it's now cold!!) etc, etc.

Teach her dolls to potty, play potty with her and her stuffed animals. Let her see you go and talk to her about why you're bothering and not just peeing your pants.

Some days she might want to do it ALL BY HERSELF. and some days you might need to pretend she's just a newborn. We all have our moments!

GL! "This too shall pass..."

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
sblw
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
Do you still have a well established cue sound? Especially if she's non-verbal at the moment, really really really make sure you have a cue. That she knows that you know when she's going, whether or not it gets in the toilet is irrelevant. Even at her age! Just pretend you're starting over. It WILL help! just cue her every time you notice her going for a week or two, then start offering the potty again.

She could be bored. She could be testing you. She could be watching for your reactions. She could be just experimenting. Or she might be wondering if you're really invested in this experience. Are you really going to be there for me? If I'm bored will you make things interesting?

Vary your location, vary your routine, move the potty to a different room, let her pee outside (unless you live where it's now cold!!) etc, etc.

Teach her dolls to potty, play potty with her and her stuffed animals. Let her see you go and talk to her about why you're bothering and not just peeing your pants.

Some days she might want to do it ALL BY HERSELF. and some days you might need to pretend she's just a newborn. We all have our moments!

GL! "This too shall pass..."
Thank you so much for your response! We do have a well established cue sound (see the You know you have an EC'd baby when... thread - she cues our 3 year old neighbor when she's on the potty). I am trying to mix it up by using the potty in the living room where she plays (she was using the big potty w/ a seat reducer). She is taking her dolls potty, so I know she knows what it's for. I don't actually know when she is going pee in her diaper (and only 1/2 the time w/ poop) anymore. I used to be able to tell all of the time, but with her being mobile now, I think she is usually wandering off somewhere when she goes. I am also going to try new activities while she's on the potty. Any suggestions there? I need something REALLY enticing (more than just reading books).
Thanks again!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #14
Sakari
Registered Users

Of course if you feel like it you can always jump start the process by ditching dipes for a bit!

When DD was 12 mo and our communication had taken a dive for the worse and DD was in sposies full time (and we were out of town, had started solids, etc, etc) we came home and I said to myself, "I'm gonna give it one last huge effort before I thrown in the towel!" So we went diaper free almost 100% of the time for 2 weeks. We had misses EVERYWHERE! (and yes, we have carpet - I did what I could!) But in 2 weeks, things started looking up. We started using diapers as backup again for another 6 weeks or so and by 14mo - we ditched them for good! So don't let "strikes" hold you back or freak you out. They don't last forever!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Thank you so much for your response! We do have a well established cue sound (see the You know you have an EC'd baby when... thread - she cues our 3 year old neighbor when she's on the potty). I am trying to mix it up by using the potty in the living room where she plays (she was using the big potty w/ a seat reducer). She is taking her dolls potty, so I know she knows what it's for. I don't actually know when she is going pee in her diaper (and only 1/2 the time w/ poop) anymore. I used to be able to tell all of the time, but with her being mobile now, I think she is usually wandering off somewhere when she goes. I am also going to try new activities while she's on the potty. Any suggestions there? I need something REALLY enticing (more than just reading books).
Thanks again!
I guess I had the window open too long - I didn't even realize you'd posted again! -- oh! I just read that on the other thread! Too cute!!

As for not knowing when she's going - can you take a day (or an afternoon or an hour) and just keep a close eye on her? Don't hover or make her annoyed just notice - okay, she left the room, now when she comes back is she wet? Where did she go? If she has a particular place she likes to eliminate - put the potty there!

Or, if she'll let you - spend a day (or a morning, or an hour) trying to carry her more and be RIGHT there. most kids/babies won't pee when being held, so offer when she gets wiggly and wants down. Or when you're ready to put her down!

What about finger action songs? Like "itsy bitsy spider" etc? or patty cake? Or, some little people toys that can "walk" around on her legs? tickle her toes? play peek-a-boo? DD liked playing with a piece of wall art at my mom's house. It was a picture made out of cloth that's hung on the wall as long as I can remember - well DD would get to hold it when she sat on the potty, but no other time. SPECIAL! and at the other gramma's she plays with a little duck that has a few items in it - again, not something that she plays with unless she's sitting on the toilet.

HTH!

Old 11-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

So he woke up from his nap wet today, and I was going to offer him the BBLP, but then at the last second, I changed my mind and tried setting him on the big toilet instead. And he happily sat there and did a #2! I hope it keeps up. I'm glad that he was using the BBLP a lot and not just his diaper, but I'm too lazy to keep cleaning that thing up.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #17
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay so Claire was doing that also when I tried to put her on the potty reducer at home, but I just figured out that if I put her in the "in-arms" position and turn her around and sit her on the potty when she's already in the sitting position, that 9 times out of 10 she will give up the fight and just pee. I don't know why she doesn't like being sat down on the potty front ways, but I know that this has been working for us! Also she will not poop on the potty right now- I have to hold her for her to do #2; not sure why...
Old 11-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #18
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
This is the EXACT thread I have been looking for! DD is almost 19 months and while we've never had completely dry days, she used to always poop in the potty and only wet her diaper 2-3 times a day. Now she rarely uses the potty, mostly b/c every time I try to put her on it she arches and puts her feet on the seat.
see my post above! It's like if I just sit her on the potty while she is sitting in my arms already, she thinks, "well, here I am".
Old 11-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #19
sblw
Registered Users
seller

So, we had 2 "catches" today! Whenever I think dd needs to go, I ask her and if she says no, I don't take her. But if she doesn't say no (she doesn't say yes yet...), I'll take her. Holding her in-arms doesn't work anymore but I am going to try taking her dollies potty more and the finger action songs.
I have considered doing diaper free time, but my parents are in town for Thanksgiving and I'm trying to pack up our house to move, so diaper free time is a little hard right now. I'll shoot for an hour here and there and see how we do.
Thanks ladies - you all rock!