Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
50blueberries
Registered Users

My Mood:
Prefolds vs Inserts Debate

Hellooooo,

I am a mama-to-be with my first child and looking forward to cloth diapering my son and I have a question to pose to you CD'ing mama's. It almost sounds too good to be true. Can you use a simple insert say a Thirsties Stay Dry Duo insert, or a Blueberry one size stay dry, or a Flip one size stay dry insert instead of having to buy 24+ prefolds for each size of development? Of course you would need to buy diaper covers as you would with prefolds but wouldn't buying just the insert save a lot of money and time?

Is it just me or does this sound too good to be true.

What are your opinions on using a prefold versus a insert. Has anyone skipped using a prefold and just uses inserts instead?

I can't wait to hear your opinions, experience, and advice!
Thanks for your time!

Advertisement

50blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
sugacube
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prefolds vs Inserts Debate

i use bummis infant sized prefolds right from birth! They were bulky at first. Now, i can still use them trifolded in pockets. I also have flip staydrys, they are a great trim option, laid in a shell or as an insert in a pocket. I will not be buying the next size of prefolds, unless I find the snappiing(sp?) love again. Not sure if all onesize inserts would work on a newbie? What I would def get if i could do-over is softbums! I always liked the idea of them, but never took the plunge. Now i am at the point where I wish I would have not bought so much and just found one system that worked and was cute!
Old 10-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

I always used prefolds and pockets even with heavy wetter but now that Kate has started holding and flooding I am not having success.

I tried:
Quad folding a premium in the pocket.
Tri folding an infant doubled with a preemie in the pocket.
I tried an infant with hemp in the pocket.
I tried two infants in the pocket.
I tried flats and flats with prefolds.
I tried prefolds with a microfiber topper.

THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED was a microfiber insert with a larger microfiber insert behind it. I hate microfiber but I have gotten the wash down to a science and do not seem to have the dreaded stink.

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
penelope picklebottom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I trifold infant prefolds into a flip cover on my 19 month old. I also use them as a doubler in flats.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can't put microfiber directly against your baby's skin. So if you aren't putting the insert inside a pocket, then that won't work.
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
50blueberries
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for your input everyone!! Much appreciated!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you can use prefolds as inserts, but not so much inserts instead of prefolds. EBF newborn poops EXPLODE! If you just laid an insert in a cover (or even a trifolded prefold) you would have a poopy cover every time. You would need a lot of covers! A snappied infant prefold will keep the cover from getting poopy 80% of the time and you can use the prefolds as inserts later after the poops are less explosive. Trifolding or using an insert instead of a prefold would work fine after you start solids.
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
50blueberries
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you for your advice!!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
dandasmommy
Registered Users
seller

I agree with previous poster about no microfiber on baby's skin.

Also, it might be okay to use an insert depending on the shape? You might want a contoured insert for the EBF poops. And if you're doing one size covers then you should be fine? I don't know though. I was a pocket-using mama.
dandasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
allenk9y9
Registered Users
seller

We have 24 each of 2 sizes of prefolds - infant and "regular" unbleached Indian prefolds. So far, at 9 months, we still have lots of time to go on these (and our daughter is a monster baby). There's some time when the infant is getting awfully small and the regular is awfully bulky, but it worked for me. Prefolds are cheap so you can get more if you want a better fit. And as she gets older, 24 prefolds lasts a LONG time - not like the newborn stage. We always have a bunch left over even washing every 3rd day.

Juliasmom is so right about needing a million covers if all you do is inserts or trifolded prefolds from the start. I really liked the prefolds for EBF poo, even over fitteds, because I thought they did a great job keeping everything in.
allenk9y9 is offline   Reply With Quote