Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

*ACTION PICS ADDED* My Rocky Mountain Diaper Review - SUPER Pic Heavy!

*Adding action pics. And further review.

The suedecloth in these felt softer and smoother than other suedecloth. I tried one on Kate, at first with a flannel liner (receiving blanket cute in an hourglass) and then on it's own. No rashes. These might have been a great diaper for her but...

Here are a few pics.

A good fit, mostly:

The wings curl like my Econobum since there is only one row of snaps but that doesn't bother me.

The puckering and gaping (where the snaps don't line up) is worse to me, though someone else mentioned that it wasn't for them. Again, not a huge deal.

Now for the sad part:
The insert kept slipping on me. See how low down it looks here.

I thought maybe I had the rise too tall, giving excess room in the pocket. I lowered the rise and then lowered it again with no change.

They are pretty poofy. I don't mind big bum at all. I think it's cute but her mom commented on her "junk" -

But the real issue for me was that they did leak, as one poster commented. She wore one the other day and 3 today. Two had very minor wicking, 2 had major leaks. All required a clothing change. The final one was double stuffed with two HUGE inserts. Still leaked.

Because she is PRECIOUS!

I recently ordered 9 Rocky Mountain Diapers on a whim. They have a suedecloth inner, which I might have noticed had I not purchased them on a whim so they will not work for us as Kate is allergic/sensitive to suedecloth. I will be gifting them to my friend who is expecting a new baby. I received them today and took them out of the box to play around with them. Here are some pics and initial thoughts as well as comparison shots with other brands. What I say here is just my opinion. There are some things I like and some things I don't like as much about them. That does not mean that you will share the same opinion, so I hope that this helps someone as they plan stashes etc. Also, please excuse that some photos are a bit blurry. It is a bit overcast here today.

Rocky Mountain Diapers are a pocket diaper with a suedecloth inner and a PUL outer. They do not need a cover. They are a one size diaper.

Here is the link to the official store, which has much more information!
http://www.rockymountaindiapers.com/ClothDiapers.html

This diaper can be adjusted to four sizes. I like the contrasting suedcloth. Very cute!

I like that this diaper does not have rise snaps. You adjust the rise with elastic that has snaps. It is like button hole elastic but has snaps instead. I think I like buttons better.

The elastic, once adjusted is hidden down inside the pocket. I have two things that I do not like about this. I can easily feel the snaps through the suedecloth and I wonder if it is uncomfortable for a baby to have that pressing into them. Also, it gets in the way when I stuff the pocket because it is a big loop.

This is the diaper at the smallest setting beside the diaper on the largest setting. For comparison the NB/SM setting is stuffed with a preemie PF and the L setting is stuffed with a HH microfiber insert.

I don't like how wide it is in the crotch in the small setting. But I do like that the leg holes get super small and would nicely contain messes!

Compared to a Happy Heiny OS. Both diapers are on the smallest rise and waist settings.

Compared to an XS BG Bamboo. Pocket is shown at it's smallest!

"Action" Pics of the BG fitted vs. this diaper on Horton.

Compared to a Small UTN Fitteds. Again, pocket at the smallest.

I like that it has a nice roomy pocket for stuffing!

And a little flap that seals up the opening nicely!

It is hard to see but I do not like at all that the snaps on the wings do not match up with the snaps on the body of the diaper. The wing snaps are set farther apart than the body snaps so that the wings falls in between the two sockets.

It causes gaping...

And puckering...

Overall I think it is a really nice diaper. And with four rise settings you should be able to get a really nice, customized fit. Thanks for letting me share.

Advertisement

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
IDDDSO: Charlie Banana XS and S in Lavendar!

Last edited by jessi4jc; 11-05-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Actions Pics
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
jsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My Rocky Mountain Diaper Review - SUPER Pic Heavy!

Thanks for doing this I always wondered about these.

FacebookGallaryRavelry
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
Thanks for doing this I always wondered about these.

I hope this was helpful. It is a very nice diaper. Also, to add...the suedecloth is very velvety soft inside not nubby like some suedecloth can be!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
bigeyedfish
Registered Users
seller

TFS! It's nice to hear other people's opinions! These aren't a diaper that I must try, and I still feel the same way after your review!
Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have always liked the contrasting colors on these but I can tell by looking that I wouldn't like that "ruffled" leg.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Ohhh the gapping and puckering with the closure snaps for me is a deal breaker...that drives me nuts...I had considered these but now won't buy them. Thanks for the great review!
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
VWgurl619
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a rocky mountain...what she shown was about accurate..but they didn't work for us...EVER..no matter what setting i had it on...so off it went!

https://www.facebook.com/MickeyWorldTravelSaraRobinson
VWgurl619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWgurl619 View Post
I had a rocky mountain...what she shown was about accurate..but they didn't work for us...EVER..no matter what setting i had it on...so off it went!
Would you mind sharing what about them didn't work for you? Was it fit? Did they leak? Etc.

I don't want this to be a thread about putting them down, but I would like some honest feedback. As I mentioned, I will be gifting these and I would like to give Emily your opinions.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

Last edited by jessi4jc; 10-30-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
christen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have several of these diapers and we like them OK, they aren't the faves. I do like having print options with the PUL though. We have a cow print and a monkey print, they're super cute. I will post a pic if I get a chance. They are a VERY cute, VERY well made diaper. I do buy them whenever I find a good deal on them!
I agree about the way the snaps don't line up. I put one on DD this morning and it aggravated me so I thought about asking here what's the deal with that? I wish they had hip snaps because my DD has skinny legs so we have had a leak or two. I do wish there were more color options like having the same color pul and suedecloth. They're wider than FBOS. The MF insert doesn't come with it, it's extra, and is just one size, you have to fold it to fit for different sizes. Overall I'd give these about a 7 one a 1-10 scale, a FBOS getting a 9!

Thanks mama for starting this.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by christen View Post
The MF insert doesn't come with it, it's extra, and is just one size, you have to fold it to fit for different sizes.

Thanks mama for starting this.
Thank you!

I wanted to add that it says on the website that the diaper DOES now come with ONE insert.

I bought mine from a store that must have retailed them before the change because I did not get inserts with mine. I wanted to mention that the Happy Heiny inserts fit in these really perfectly. I am planning to buy more of the HH inserts instead of the actual inserts that go with these diapers.