Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
New to EC'ing as of Today!

Hooray!

Hello! DH and I have been half-joking, half-seriously discussing EC since before our baby Elisha was born seven months ago. Well, I've got the Diaper-Free Baby in the mail on its way and we bought a BBLP (look at me with the lingo already ) today while we were out enjoying the beautiful fall weather. He even peed in the potty twice already. I feel utterly victorious and stupidly excited and giddily proud already.

But, I know there's a lot to prepare for. I've read a bit about potty strikes. And cuing (I did this while he was on the potty ... making a "pssss" sound and tickling his lower back). And diaper-free time. And watching for signals. There's a lot to keep in mind.

I just wanted to say I'm really excited. I'm still kind of shocked that DH is on board—he was the first to bring up cloth diapers, but I brought up EC. I have a feeling we'll mostly EC part time to start with. I don't know if DH will put on the potty-helper hat while I'm at work ... he might if he sees it all work in action. He's the SAHD and it would mean a bit less laundry and something else to entertain the baby ...

Anyway, thanks for this forum. I have a feeling I'll be visiting here more often now.

Advertisement

letterpress printer + graphic designer open for business - my portfolio
niftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Re: New to EC'ing as of Today!

Welcome!! Sounds like you're off to a great start, having your DH on board will be VERY helpful!
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haha. Yeah. Having his support is great.

We all sang in the bathroom today over our first poop in the potty. We're real parents now.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dude, don't do it. ECing is a total waste of time and you're just going to have to potty train regularly later on anyway, with a ton of accidents that wouldn't have happened if you would just use the diapers.

Did I have you going there? No I am really excited for you! It's really a great journey. I was hoping we wouldn't have a strike, but I think we're finally in one at 12 months old, lol. (Which so far, knock on wood, has NOT included a poop strike.) I hope it's all smooth sailing for you from here on out.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. This week has been fun so far. It's nice not to stress—we offer the potty when we can (even DH is offering the potty while I'm at work ... how awesome is that?!). I haven't caught a poo in a few days. He's ninja about his poos sometimes ... and he only goes in the morning, which is a busy time for me while I'm getting ready for work. On the weekends, I'll probably have a better chance.

Still, this forum has been a lot of help.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's totally worth it - especially once you start solids! I started part-time EC when I was in C-section recovery because it was easier to hold the potty in my lap or line my lap with diapers than to get up and change her diaper every time. Now that we've started solids (6 mos), she always poops in the potty, and occasionally pees as well after naps. No more dirty diapers - YAY!!

Keep at it - even if you don't get all the poops/pees, you still give baby the idea that the potty is an option from early on.
Leiiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Sakari
Registered Users

how exciting! and good for your DH!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Still haven't caught a poop since the day after we brought the potty home. Elisha seems to like saving his poops until he's in the car—can I do anything about that?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How long are you holding him over the potty? Are you squatting him or folding him? If you know he is due for a poop (or a pee), just keep giving him the cue and holding him over the potty. If squatting doesn't work, try folding (or vice versa). Sometimes we have to try DD on the potty, then let her relax a minute and try again - just needs a second to "get things moving." Gentle tummy massage might help, too.
Leiiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're still working on our cues. He's a bit of a ninja pooper—one minute he's doing something and the next minute he just let's it all out. We're getting our pee cues down, though. I've got some really good intuition, but sometimes I doubt myself and don't act on it in time ... It's been two weeks and we've only had 2 pees on the carpet. He woke up dry the night before last and just peed a little last night. It's very exciting.

I finally caught half a poop the other day—he was playing standing up at the table, started to go, looked at me, let me pick him up and rush him to the downstairs bathroom five steps away, and then held the rest until I put him on the potty. It was rather funny ... and so much easier to clean. He had a diaper on while playing since I was getting ready for work.

He's been irregular since starting solids almost two months ago. He used to go like clockwork after waking. I miss it. I was hoping he'd go this morning (he didn't go yesterday), and since DH drove me to work today, I have a feeling he'll get home to a poopy diaper.

I've just been putting him on the BBLP. I haven't tried any in-arms holds with him yet. Do you think they would work better?