Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
mamahen
Registered Users
seller

Question Scared to vax, scared not to

So far DS is minimally vaxed and some of those were only because I didn't know more at the time. I dont want to vax him and I know I should (must) trust his body to handle it if he were to catch something. BUT I'm scared to take him places because he isn't. I still breastfeed (14mo), he doesn't do daycare, and I babywear. But I want to go to the gym and they have a daycare there. It'd be SO nice to take him there while I was at the gym but I'm scared to. Do I just need to get over it or just get up super early so I can be home before he wakes up?

Advertisement

Please rear face your child to the max- their lives could depend on it.
mamahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
froggymiamore
Registered Users
seller

Re: Scared to vax, scared not to

My non-vaxed kiddos have been to the gym, daycare and school. All with no issues. You're baby will most likely be fine.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like you need to spend some more time researching diseases, vaxes, etc. Don't try to take on every disease or vax at once, just pick one to research, and learn about it until you feel comfortable one way or the other. You can always go back to the dr. and get a vax for your child, but you can't ever take them out of your child's body. Take your time, and don't do anything until you are comfortable in your decision. There is no one right thing for *every* child in *every* family.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
mamahen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressagemom View Post
It sounds like you need to spend some more time researching diseases, vaxes, etc. Don't try to take on every disease or vax at once, just pick one to research, and learn about it until you feel comfortable one way or the other. You can always go back to the dr. and get a vax for your child, but you can't ever take them out of your child's body. Take your time, and don't do anything until you are comfortable in your decision. There is no one right thing for *every* child in *every* family.
Thanks! It's easy to get overwhelmed! He ended up with the Hep B series because I let the MD dismiss my concerns and I just got caught up and did it. I've since switched peds and she's really supportive and more open with me. Also helps that she practices in an area that has more mama's like me.
Any one have good places to get local info about disease rates?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

The first thing you need to figure out is what scares you about vaxing and what scares you about not vaxing.

Once you know what your fear is for both options, then you can look further into whether your fears have foundation in science. This may help you overcome some of your concerns. Ultimately though a fear doesn't have to have a scientific base. And, your fears may be very individualized by disease and vaccine.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
The first thing you need to figure out is what scares you about vaxing and what scares you about not vaxing.

Once you know what your fear is for both options, then you can look further into whether your fears have foundation in science. This may help you overcome some of your concerns. Ultimately though a fear doesn't have to have a scientific base. And, your fears may be very individualized by disease and vaccine.
I agree with this. OP - get Dr Sears The Vaccine Book and read up on each disease and each vaccine. There are risks to vaccination and risks to not vaccinating but I, personally, think that living your life in fear of going out because you are not vaxing is not healthy. If you are that afraid, perhaps vaxing would make you feel better? Or understanding the diseases would make you feel better?

Read the book and overcome your fears with knowledge.

An aside: Why do you think you can trust his body to handle any illness? Plenty of people who are not vaxed have issues with illness and some even get very sick or die. And they are not necessarily immune compromised or not breastfed. There are unvaxed autistic kids. Vaccination is not necessarily a cureall. But the human body is also not necessarily equipped to handle every illness that comes its way. You take a risk not vaxing. You take a risk vaxing. When you understand those risks, you can make a truly informed decision. But relying solely on the idea that the human body can handle illness is not a sound idea, imo. The human body is fallible and prone to injury and not necessarily equipped to handle every disease that comes its way.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen View Post
Any one have good places to get local info about disease rates?
Your local county health department tracks disease rates. I see you are in WA. Me, too. We are seeing rising rates of pertussis and measles statewide and also in my county.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Kama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ultimately the choice you make is going to have to be your own. You can't just make a decision based on what someone here tells you to, you can read books ect all you want just make sure you check their sources and credibility really well, on both sides. There is no point in gathering information if you are gathering bad information.

Fear is generally not the best way to make any decision. You can't let this decision paralyze you. The thing with the vaccination debate is there are very strong emotions and opinions on both sides of the issue. What it comes down to is that there are real risks both to vaccinating and not vaccinating. Where opinions tend to vary and get heated is when you get into which risks are "worse" or which ones are "bigger". What you mind find comforting is that the actual risks are really pretty small which ever way you go. You just have to decide which set of risks is more acceptable to you.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things donít always spoil the good things and make them unimportant- The Doctor
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
mamahen
Registered Users
seller

That's my issue at this point. I know there are risks and benefits to both and I'm having a hard time weighing them to help decide which might be more risky. I read a few vax books a while back and I'll go check them out again because I think I need to revisit them. I just wonder- if I vax and he gets injured I'd question my decision but I think I'd also question my decision if I didn't vax and he was injured from the disease.
I know his body couldn't fight any disease but maybe the risk of getting, say, measles, at a young age is less devestating than the risk of vaccine injury.
I just dont know yet and have no one else to bounce ideas off of. I am a healthcare professional so my training is medical so that part of me wants to vax. But my mama side is holding me back for now, until I get more info.
I've read the Sears book, Vaccine manual for healthcare professionals. any other good ones. Are there any really good PRO books? It's hard to weigh the sides when there's lots of scary info for con but nothing really good for pro.
Thanks!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

If you are looking for pro vaccine information, I would start with the CDC's website. There is an abundance of information regarding vaccinations, disease, potential disease complications, confirmed adverse reactions, etc.