Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Former HS wanna be...now PS mama thinking about HS again

My son is in kindy. Public school.

He is also SUPER smart, super advanced (reading, writing, counting, etc)...

judging by the stuff he brings home he just is NOT being challenged at school. They are just doing letters and he is reading. He knows his letters, he knows his numbers, he knows how to write.

The problem is he does like school, he has friends and stuff. School is for socialization only. He's not LEARNING anything, kwim?

Also his behavior is HORRIBLE when he gets home. He's mean to his sister, he's rude and snippy with me, he wants 100% left alone and if DD or I talk to him too much (inquire about his day, ask him questions, etc) he gets frustrated (people overload???)

I don't like it.

I want to yank him out NOW, tomorrow in fact but DH is begging me to give him until after Christmas.

I just don't know.

DH says he questions my ability to teach him properly since I'll also be caring for the other 2, it'll be a challenge but I am confident I can do it.

Thoughts?? There is a HS group here in town but they're super religious and I'm not...*sigh*

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Former HS wanna be...now PS mama thinking about HS again

Hi, I am just browsing around this morning and found your post. I can relate, but I chose to keep my DD in school. She is now in 2nd grade and still at the TOP of the class, and she is also in Challlenge once a week. I felt like the school offered some things taht being at home couldn't, and my DD needed these things. Kindergarten doesn't just teach letters/numbers, it also is about learning to pay attention, be part of a group, listen and follow directions, and frankly a degree of freedom I don't allow at home! I felt like the social part of kindergarten was important for my DD, and I also felt like staying home w/ me (I had a 3 yo and newborn twins at the time) wasn't an option, I wouldn't have been able to do all the neat things she was doing at school, though I know she didnt' learn anything academic-wise in kindergarten. I feel that 2nd grade has been a BIG leap, they are learning so much more and learning it quickly! I still reserve the right to HS at any time if I feel it's in my child's best interest and there have been a few times we have thought about it, but for now I feel like the other things offered by the school outweigh the academic side. Life isn't all about academics, scoring the highest, reading first/quicker/higher level, it's also about learning to deal w/ others, learning about social situations that previously she had been sheltered from (divorce in friend's families for example), learning to get along w/ those we don't like (BIG one here), being part of the group, ect.

Also, if your DC is so far advanced they will likely test him for challenge or whatever they call it at your school. If he gets into it it provides a few hours of extra hands on activities for those higher-level kids. My DD loves it! She was put into it in 1st grade after being tested. I don't think they usually put K kids in it, they wait until 1st to test them.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bump for more thoughts please???

James says he wants to HS in the winter and school in the spring LOL

His main 'fear' is lack of 3 recesses...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

hey mama my dh had the same worries with not send in ricky to kindy because I was pregnant and had one under 2. Let me tell you it's not easy but one great thing about homeschool is we do the same amount if not more work a day in less time I just have to plan my days.

I say if you think it's not working pull him. he can do other things to socialize. mine does campfire just to start with.

I have a newborn and my soon to be 2 year I have made things for teaching and have use head of the class.com as well and many of the links posted here.

Simple thing is it's not going to be easy but if you plan you day and stick to it you can do it. remember you don't have to do during the day many lessons here happen on weekends and week nights when dad is home to help. We are not majorly structured when it comes to when we are once we sit and do it. But like my mood changes so do ricky and trust me that kid would do school all day everyday today though we are off which means school on saturday to make up but everyone is wiped out from the holiday.

So you could pull have do things alone during the day or school him during the day you can break it up so he doesn't get snappy. find him an out of the home thing to do. So much.

follow your heart mama you can do it.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sorry I was all over the place LOL we have a crazy day here my LO is fussy
Old 11-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

I was in the EXACT SAME boat just last week! I homeschooled for Pre-K (actually, she was IN pre-k, then I pulled her in Feb), then her behavior (she has severe ADHD) was driving us all batty, plus I had a baby in April... so I put her in public Kindergarten. She loved K, but she had a few issues. It was during her nap time, and she is also reading/writing/doing math/etc... and they're just working on numbers and letters. She liked her teacher, and she liked her little friends, but she would get frustrated that activities weren't long enough for her (she gets hyperfocused on things and tends to do them in great detail, which inevitably takes a long time), and she was bored doing the things she already knew how to do (um... everything). Her teacher allowed her to do art and other crafts, or play puzzles while other kids were working.

She was only in from 11:50-2:25 and she is the oldest of my 4 - her brothers are ages 4, 2, and 6 months. It was a hassle to get her and everyone else in the car twice a day during EVERYONE'S nap time. Also, she would complain she didn't want to go because 1. She was tired, and 2. If she wasn't tired, she was doing something (again with the hyperfixation on activities). She would have fun once she GOT to school, but GETTING her there was a challenge. She was constantly telling me she liked HS better.

I had originally planned on keeping her in all year, then HSing again starting in 1st grade and through primary school (at least). But with all the struggles on my part AND on hers, I just didn't see the point. I yanked her out last week.

Now we couldn't be happier!

I, too, was worried about teaching (my ds1 is in pre-k now and will be in k next year), but I FINALLY found a curriculum I think will work (Sonlight - super customizable and is the only curric I found that SHOWED/planned out how to use their curric with multiple children at different learning levels). Now I'm not as concerned.

And this year is super simple... I look at Kindergarten as mostly an intro year. We cover Language Arts and Math - that's it. For LA we use "Teach your Child to read in 100 easy lessons" (I don't do the writing portion in the book) and Christian Liberty Press' "Adventures in Phonics". I wouldn't use the Adventures in phonics by itself, but I like that it cements the knowledge she learns in TCYTRI100L and works on handwriting. For math we use Christian Liberty Press' "Liberty Mathematics level K". It starts off slow (reviewing numbers), but gets progressively more difficult and, I think, ends the book on a higher level of math than most kindergarten math books (which is a good thing for us).

The reason I use the CLP stuff is because it's cheap (www.christianbook.com) - under $20 for both work books after shipping - and teaches the basics. We just use blocks, crayons, etc... for math manipulatives right now and it works fine. They ARE NOT colorful books, but my dd enjoys coloring in the pictures, so it works. I don't plan on continuing with them as my children get older, but I think they're great for pre-k/K.

OH! And BOB books are awesome to use too! I use them as reinforcement with the other LA stuff.

My entire Kindergarten "curriculum" cost me about $50 and is *just* enough. It primes my dd for a more full year next year, gets her use to what we'll be doing, and she is learning a lot.

I think if you want to HS - do it! As long as you put in a little effort, your child will be just fine. It's not about teaching your child everything about everything. It's instilling in them a love of learning, and then fullfilling that love with offering lots to learn! I just posted a link to an e-book to determine what curriculum will fit your family best - I found it on Sonlight and I think it's super insightful. Not all families will homeschool the same, and the best curriculum is the one that will work best for EVERYONE! Check it out!

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
Bump for more thoughts please???

James says he wants to HS in the winter and school in the spring LOL

His main 'fear' is lack of 3 recesses...
I'd tell him that instead of 6 hours of school with three, fifteen-minute recesses, he'll have only a few hours of school as much recess as he wants after that!

That's how it works in my house anyway, LOL

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son was the same way and I didn't even try to send him to public K. We spent maybe an hour a day doing school work, and it only took us a few months to get through a K curriculum and then moved on to 1st. Well then in the summer before what would be 1st grade he showed some interest in going to school so we looked around at some different schools. I was feeling like he needed to make some friends and have more of a structured day. First and second grade ended up going well for him and his teachers were able to keep him engaged and enjoying school. However, right now we're having some issues in 3rd because he is bored, perfectionist, and wants to be home playing video games....<sigh> but every 5th day he goes to another school for his gifted class and his teacher for that will be providing some resources to his regular teacher, so hopefully he will start liking school again.
My daughter is the same age as your son and she is in public K. She is just as smart as my son (learns a little differently) but is very different in a lot of ways. She LOVES school, and I'm sure a lot of it is too easy for her, but I also know that her teacher is able to keep her interested. While some of the other kids are learning their alphabet, she is learning the alphabet in sign language and braille. They are always making little books which she brings home and reads. And each week they have some topic their lessons are focusing around, so they might learn a lot about heroes or apples or nursery rhymes.
So my point is that you don't have to feel tied down to one option. You could homeschool now, or later. You could work with the teacher, or just pull him. You could look into other schools, or various curriculums.
Oh, and if you were to judge only by what my dd brings home, you'd think she wasn't being challenged either. You can't see that they read 5 different versions of The Gingerbread Man and compared and contrasted them. You can't see that they tried three different kinds of apples, chose their favorite, and graphed the results as a class. Maybe you want to go in and observe ds' class and see what it really is like.
Oh, and the after school thing I totally understand too. My girls were best friends over the summer, and now dd1 barely wants to play with dd2. So that's certainly a consideration for homeschooling as well. I try not to press with the questions and stuff right off and have a snack and let dd do whatever she wants for a while and maybe try to find out about her day at dinner.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Have you had a conference with his teacher? I have an advanced kindergartener as well. My dh WANTED me to homeschool him because he's very smart, but I wanted to give public school a try. Our kids go to a year round public school that I adore. I love homeschooling as well--I have done it in the past and I will do it again in the near future (either after Christmas or next school year for my oldest daughter), but this is what's working for us right now.

Anyway, my kindergarten son is doing 2nd grade work in kindergarten. His teacher said at the beginning of the year that her personal goal is to meet each child at his/her level and take him/her from there, NOT to make everyone be the same. She is doing a wonderful job with our son. We did not go to her and tell her he is advanced, he already knows addition/subtraction, he can read, etc. She very easily figured it out and let us know what she is doing with him. For instance, he goes to a separate reading class when the class does phonics, and a few weeks ago he started a math program that is for 2nd graders. He is on a 2nd-3rd grade reading level but his comprehension is at a mid 1st grade level...or something like that.

Anyway, talk to his teacher to see if there is more the school can do for him. Like I said, we are so happy with our school and we will keep doing this until it no longer works for our family (which I do suspect will happen.)

ETA: I feel it's also important for my son NOT to feel singled out, and so far I think it's been successful. I asked him about how he felt about going to a special reading class and he said, "I do?" He doesn't realize (or at least not at this point) that he is being treated different and doing different things. I think this is good because I don't want him to stress out about school or anything.

Last edited by Psychomom; 11-01-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
jesr
Registered Users
seller

We just pulled our 5yr old DS out of Year 1 (we are currently in England) He did a term of Reception (similar to K) last year. He isnt advanced for his age but not behind either. Our biggest issue was his behaviour change this year, it was like he was stressed out and lost control of his emotions alot. He liked school and his friends but also didnt like how rough some boys were (smacking, kicking, tripping, etc) but in the same breath he was starting to do those things. At home he was getting rougher with his brother and really emotional all the time. He'd be told something he didnt like "no you cant have another cracker, its not your turn for that chair, etc" and he would flip out and shake his arms and kick his feet. These are things he had never done before this school year and started within the 1st week of the school year. He is also the youngest in his class (turned 5 in Aug), just makes cut offs for most stateside K's. Last week he was outta school (was mid-term break, his last day was the friday before) and DH took the week off and we had family time and went sightseeing. So today was our first official day of homeschooling and it went really well. He enjoys learning and doing his work, so hoping it doesnt get too rough. We contemplated pulling him out seriously for almost a month. When I brought up the idea to DH he thought about it for a few minutes then was really keen to know more then within a day or 2 wanted him out of school, I was the one more hesitant as I was connected with the school, my friends there, would effect me as I am the one home all day, could I give him enough time, teach him enough, etc etc Didnt want to make a rash decision and regret a week later. In the end I had to think solely of DS and what was best for him and follow my heart. I have no regrets so far, and DS seems alot happier. Good luck with your decision.
Jessica - SAHM to Ethan, Aug. 2005 and Dylan Jan. 2008 Expecting #3 March 2011.
Married to the Love of my Life Keven since Jan. 6 2004 Proud AF Wife
jesr is offline   Reply With Quote