Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
pschreiber42
Registered Users
seller

So many questions!

So we are going to have to move up to a convertible(?) car seat soon. DS is 13 mo and was 21lbs 2oz 30in at his 1 year checkup, tho he's definitely heavier now. His baby bucket is rated to 25 lbs, but bulky winter wear is making it harder to get him in and out. We definitely need to keep this purchase under $150, $100 would be ideal.

Some of the models recline (they tend to be more expensive). Is that a feature you actually find you use?

What the heck is a "combination car seat"? It seems to be a FF only that with a lower weight entry point, but usable for a longer period of time.

I'm a little frustrated by this whole car seat thing. It almost seems like if you don't have $200+ for a Britax, the best choice is a barebones Scenera, which just doesn't look all that comfy. Any recs for something at about $100?

If it matters, our primary vehicle is a Honda Accord. I'd like to avoid a super-wide seat. We also have a Chevy Blazer 4 door.

Advertisement

pschreiber42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: So many questions!

Yes, convertible is the right term. Convertible means rear and forward facing, combination means harnessed forward facing and booster.

While the Scenara is the most affordable option and is a fine seat for what it is, there are plenty of other options. Most often recommended are the Graco MyRide 65, and the First years true fit, which I know on this side of the border can be found occasionally for $150 or less, so I'd imagine since things are much cheaper stateside someone can help you find them for that price. Other non britax options are the Safety First complete air and the Sunshine kids radian, although both those options tend to be pricier. I'm sure some of our US ladies can help you find deals on a good seat.

And just a word of caution - while we all want to keep our babies warm, heavy, bulky clothes need to be used with caution in car seats, if they're used at all. Thick winter coats and snowsuits will compress under crash G-forces and can introduce slack into the harness, which can cause greater injury to the child or worse yet allow enough slack for the child to be ejected from their car seat. If you must put a coat on your child, do it like this pictorial shows, but taking the coat right off the child and laying it over them like a blanket or putting it on them backwards once the harness is done up is better yet.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
mommajenn13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a Graco MyRide 65 that we got from Walmart.com for $120! We love it because it goes rear facing to 40 pounds and sits up pretty high, but it is pretty wide (although it has built in cupholders which IMO are the best thing ever invented).

We also had a cosco scenera which was our go to seat whenever DD rode with someone else because it was so easy to take out and re-install correctly. It has a great recline and DD always seemed to love it! We didn't use it on longer car trips (because you're right, it doesn't seem very padded/comfy) but all in all it was a wonderful buy!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
pschreiber42
Registered Users
seller

The MyRide looks good, I just wish it weren't so wide. Something about the width of the Comfort Sport would fit a whole lot better.
pschreiber42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
ggsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with everyone else! A My Ride 65 may be your best bet where you can RF to 40lbs. Or you could get a 1st generation True Fit. They are on amazon very affordable and super user friendly. It RF till 35lbs like most seats. If you are looking to rearface longer you could RF till 40 Lbs and it is also on sale at many retailers
ggsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
an_aurora
Registered Users

If you want something narrower, look at the Complete Air. It's a bit more than $100 but can be found on sale for right around $100.

Also, check the weight limit on your seat. They go to either 22 or 30 pounds, so make sure he's not over the weight limit.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Look at the Evenflo Triumph Advance LX. That's what we have and we love it. It reclines (which we do use, because unreclined would have her leaning very far forward while RFing). It's a Consumer Reports Recommended 40+ lb carseat. You can find it on Amazon for $125. I strongly recommend it.

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
And just a word of caution - while we all want to keep our babies warm, heavy, bulky clothes need to be used with caution in car seats, if they're used at all. Thick winter coats and snowsuits will compress under crash G-forces and can introduce slack into the harness, which can cause greater injury to the child or worse yet allow enough slack for the child to be ejected from their car seat. If you must put a coat on your child, do it like this pictorial shows, but taking the coat right off the child and laying it over them like a blanket or putting it on them backwards once the harness is done up is better yet.
And this too --- put a hat on your baby, cover them with a good blanket, but PLEASE don't put your baby in the carseat with a bulky winter coat or snowsuit. They really can get ejected from the seat from it.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
an_aurora
Registered Users

The Triumph Advance is great, but she mentioned wanting a narrow seat, and the Triumph is definitely not narrow
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I guess it works for us We have a Ford Taurus, the Triumph and our Chicco in the backseat (side by side), and we can still sit another person in the back. So, I don't think it's too wide!