Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Zappa
Registered Users
seller

Things you did before you knew better....

I thought this might be fun.. I'll start with a picture... DD was 20 months old and was FF and wearing her puffy Halloween costume in her car seat. I also get minus another 20 points for allowing her to have candy before she was two!
So what things have you done with your car seats before you knew better?

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Things you did before you knew better....

I did that too, although I don't have any pics of it.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Big, pretty, red snowsuit!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Puffy snow suits, straps a tad loose (though I always had the chest clip right!), unbuckling a *bit* too early, planned on FFing right at a year but found you guys first :-)

Oh! And aftermarket things like the snuzzler (it made a huge difference though sadly) and the car seat bunting that goes over the seat itself

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
an_aurora
Registered Users

I don't have any pictures (I destroyed the incriminating evidence once I learned better) but I turned my oldest FF at 11.5 months and 19.5 pounds because the was "close enough". I made her a huge, puffy, ridiculously thick carseat cover that went OVER the seat cover so it introduced tons of slack. I also used to just set her in her seat to drive to my brother's house 2 blocks away, since it 'took too much time' to buckle her in just to unbuckle her less than 2 minutes later. I always had the straps tight, but when we bought DH's old Jeep when she was 10months old, we had her outboard with no locking clip even though the belts did not lock. I also had it tethered RF (Evenflo Triumph that did not allow tethering RF).

I learned about CPS when she was 18m and she went back RF. I was sure she would pitch a fit but she loved it!
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Snowsuits. (He was born in the summer. I know I read the manual, but either the no-snowsuits thing didn't register or I forgot it by winter.)

With his infant seat, I didn't know not to leave the handle up.

When I turned around his convertible (a Comfort Sport?), I spent part of an afternoon reading through the manual and trying to follow all the instructions, and somehow still wound up using the rear-facing belt path instead of switching to the forward-facing. It did dawn on me a week or so later -- made me absolutely sick to realize.

For myself -- I have been very, very guilty of putting the shoulder strap behind me in the back seats of many cars. They cut into my neck otherwise! I'm 5'5" but I have a short torso. I guess I need a booster seat -- are there any rated to 200 pounds?
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
ktarsha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Strapped my son in the car seat with his puffy winter coat on, and didn't have the chest clips at the right level. I'm sure there are other things, but those are the two I remember. I've also driven off a couple of times without realizing that he was completely unstrapped Fortunately, we didn't get very far before he alerted me, but still, I felt terrible!

momtojande - I've never put the shoulder strap behind me, but I have the same problem. I'm 5'4" and have a short torso; the shoulder strap is at its lowest setting and it still cuts into my neck.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I have the same issue. In my front seats it's not a problem. But in the back, the shoulder strap cuts into my neck too. And I'm 5'8", I just have a shorter torso. I'm guilty of putting it under my arm.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
JoelleB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am definitely a culprit of having twisted straps and not fixing them.. not putting the chest clip in the right way and putting huge puffy snow suits on them and putting them in the car seat.. I still haven't really read anything that says not to do that so i am unaware of the car seat laws! I have a 27 month old and a 18 month old and they are both FF in seats with a 5 point harness and they hold up to 80lbs each! My DD's used to scream horrible when they were RF so i just turned em both at a year old!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i bought my oldest niece's toddler seat at a thrift store...so i could forward face her at 12 months without dealing with moving the bucket seat she is 6 now.
i also BF'd my oldest(now 4) while driving down the highway leaning over her seat
oh and i drove my ex-boss's dd around with no seat...at 3 years old they did not even own a seat for her??? but in all fairness it was either take her with me buckled up or leave her alone at the gym since they left and forgot her
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote