Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Re: Things you did before you knew better....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelleB View Post
I am definitely a culprit of having twisted straps and not fixing them.. not putting the chest clip in the right way and putting huge puffy snow suits on them and putting them in the car seat.. I still haven't really read anything that says not to do that so i am unaware of the car seat laws! I have a 27 month old and a 18 month old and they are both FF in seats with a 5 point harness and they hold up to 80lbs each! My DD's used to scream horrible when they were RF so i just turned em both at a year old!!!
It's not a law that you can't put them in uber thick clothing in the car seat. But it is warned against in every car seat manual that I can recollect reading. It adds bulk that can/will compress if you have a wreck. When it compresses, you have your child in the seat with straps that are far too loose. then the child can come out of the straps and fly around the car, just as if they were not in a seat at all.

Also, they would both be a lot safer RFing if you can find a way to do so, especially the 18 month old. The AAP even now recommends RFing to at least 2yo, but to the limits of the seat. My son is 18 months & my daughter will be 3 in January. I can't imagine turning either of them FF for at least another year.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

DH and I took a car seat class instructed by local CPSTs at a baby expo and I read the manual cover to cover before DS1 was even born
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
Zappa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ View Post
DH and I took a car seat class instructed by local CPSTs at a baby expo and I read the manual cover to cover before DS1 was even born
That is awesome! I wish I had done that.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
CrazyBoysMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

FF toddlers-13 month 20 lbs, and 18 month 26 lbs. The oldest truely HAD to FF at the time, we had a single cab truck and he was getting extremely violent RF, but if I had known better he would have gone back to RF the minute I could have. Washed 2 sets of Britax harness straps, installed my RA FF using RF LATCH path(MA spoiled me, took a bit to figure it out!) I think that's it, "cold" here is 50 something, so no snowsuits...

Will you be my Swag friend? Pretty please?http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CrazyBoysMamma
CrazyBoysMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a BundleMe for DD...It said crash tested, and I believed it. I made sure the straps were really tight, and always pulled it really flat, but still...

Now we use it all the time....................in the stroller!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 11-01-2010 at 02:23 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #16
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

With my niece (whom I watched on a regular basis), we did the whole puffy snowsuit, overhead shield, purchasing from a thrift store, straps too loose, etc, but I take solace in the fact that I was only 14-18 at the time.

My first nanny kids, I insisted that the parents provide me w/ correctly fitting seats (even though they never bothered w/ carseats in their own car). I made sure the seats were installed tightly and the straps were correct, but they went ffing at 1 yr and 20 lbs. (this was in pre-latch cars)

With my LO's, we used LATCH and seatbelt b/c it felt more secure, used center LATCH w/o checking to be sure that our car allowed borrowing anchors (it does, but we don't do it anymore anyway), and put DD directly into a Blvd, not realizing that it wouldn't fit a nb. I was nervous the whole ride home from the hosp b/c the straps were above her shoulders. We borrowed a bucket from a friend until she fit the blvd.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
Phin'sMom
Registered Users
seller

I guess the word "chest" didn't click for us in "chest clip"! It's a hand me down snug ride but wasn't expired.....so we weren't doing to bad! lol I think I just like sharing pictures of my peanut!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #18
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was always pretty good with the carseat things. The biggest one that I consider my fault is using an aftermarket headrest/neck support. Our Peg perego didn't come with one so I got a cheapy one from BRU thinking I *had* to have one. We used it on the ride home from the hospital then never again because it didn't work.

The big one that I don't consider my fault is having my oldest seat installed in the center with latch (our car doesn't allow it). I brought it to 2 cpst and they both insisted that it was ok because my car manual didn't specifically forbide it. It did however say that latch carseat installation was approved in the outboard seats. I was so mad when I found out that I was right and I had listened to the professionals when I knew I shouldn't have.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i used to nanny for twin girls (before my own twins were born) and i installed their carseats in my vehicle when we went anywhere. they were in so loose! and though i'm sure i got their harnesses snug, i turned their seats ff as soon as they were 'close enough' to 20 lbs (after a year old, but still way too early!).
Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #20
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

I used the JJ Cole bundle me in the car seat with my ds. Like a PP said...it claimed to be crash tested and I figured it was better than a snow suit. Never crossed my mind to just use a blanket or to return the bundle me and get acover that just went over the top of te car seat. doh!
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote