Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #21
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Re: Things you did before you knew better....

Dp washed our straps...more than once - the baby was a puker and I didn't know how or care to learn how to remove straps and clean the darn thing.

Guaranteed that will never happen again. I am now in charge of the car seats and can adjust them and everything else (though I do still like dp to install if he is around as it is easier for him to get it tight but at least I CAN do it now, before I couldn't).

He still thinks not being able to wash the straps is dumb and doesn't believe me.

Advertisement

moonlightblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #22
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Miranda was FFing at 8 months old and 16lbs... because I no longer wanted to deal with trying to get the bucket seat out of a 2 door mustang, and her convertible RF would of been IMPOSSIBLE in that car.

Oh and I never put her handle down on the bucket either... and I had no clue why anything was recomended, Why ffing was for older babies, why they rfed to begin with, etc. I remember I went with a friend somewhere in her car once, and her DH put miranda's carseat in her car, RFing.. and I complained the whole way there about her not being able to see anything and that's why she was screaming... I must of sounded like a real loser. lol my friend thought I was nuts for having a infant FFing (rightly so)

glad I have learned.

Miranda just grew into her booster and out of the harness at 6 years old (49inches tall and 55lbs) and jake is still RFing, but I imagine by the time he's two, he'll be FFing, (he's about at the weight limit now, and he's 33ish inches tall)

how times have changed.. even before I knew better, I HATED boosters. lol Have never liked the idea of my child being in a "bigkid" seat. lol But I wonder what they would of been in if I hadn't known better.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #23
doodah
Registered Users
seller

All the aftermarket toys, covers, bundle me, etc. It is very deceitful that these items are advertised with words like crash tested, safe, etc.
doodah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #24
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Aftermarket head support in a snugride
DS1 was FFing at 17 months because we 'needed' the seat for DS2 and we couldn't fit two rfing in DH's car (still can't!!). In all reality I have an RFing seat DS1 could STILL be in!!
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #25
sundaesprinkles
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
Dp washed our straps...more than once - the baby was a puker and I didn't know how or care to learn how to remove straps and clean the darn thing.

Guaranteed that will never happen again. I am now in charge of the car seats and can adjust them and everything else (though I do still like dp to install if he is around as it is easier for him to get it tight but at least I CAN do it now, before I couldn't).

He still thinks not being able to wash the straps is dumb and doesn't believe me.
uh oh! why dont you wash the straps?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #26
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaesprinkles View Post
uh oh! why dont you wash the straps?
It says specifically in the manuals not to wash straps. Submerging them in water can weaken them and cause them to fail in a crash. There are instructions in your manuals for cleaning the straps. If you have washed the straps of your car seat(s) please contact the manufacturer ASAP to order new ones.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #27
KnPsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've always done pretty good at home but on our first trip to visit my parents after in WI after older dd was born we used a borrowed carseat out there for her that was a 3 pt. evenflo and (if I had to guess) was probably expired!!! Yikes! Now we have one scenera to use out there and one to use on the plane. Other dd uses a cares harness.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #28
carsonsmommy1108
Registered Users
seller

My grandma got us a bundle me for Carson, we used it for probably 8 weeks or so I think before we found out it was not ok, like others said....it said crash tested, we believed it..oops! But beyond that I think we've been pretty good. Oh we also (still...*gasp!*) have a mirror for him. He's RFing and it clips onto the FF Tether LATCH hook, so I feel like its pretty secure, and it is soft and squishy...and without it he SCREAMS and SCREAMS and SCREAMS in the car, and it is really hard for me to drive properly with a screaming baby...so we decided that keeping him RFing was worth the risk of the mirror...but it is the softest, puffiest one we could find.
carsonsmommy1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #29
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Oh gosh, you ahd to ask!! Aftermarket headrests, big strap cover things, ff too early....the whole nine yards. Oldest dd was ff at 9 months when she hit 20 pounds and I really don't know if there was any other option back then. We had a 1965 Chevy Impala 2 door SW at one point that did not have seat belts in the back (I think it did front passenger and driver) so we use two ratcheting tie down straps to secure her car seat. Ds1 was ff at 1 year in a thrift store purchased car seat. I ended up buying them both brand new seats when our car was stolen. Both moved out of harnesses by 4 and boosters at 5ish years I think. Ds2 was ff at 9 months also and 22 pounds which was the limit on his infant seat. I have pictures that show the lovely loose straps. I'll show them in a minute. He harnessed to 3 when he was 40 pounds, then he was boostered to 6. Dd2 rf to 18 months but then only harnessed to 3.5 or so and boostered to 8. Loose-ish twisted straps!! Ds3 rf to 12 months and is still harnessed most of the time. Dd3 rf to 18 months and is still harnessed. Ds4 I'm doing everything right!!
Ds2 and friend-Isn't that sad?!!

Dd2-Nice aftermarket strap covers!! That's just a scary car seat to me. I love how her bum is all off to one side and the crotch part of the strap is inches from her crotch.

Dd2-Twisted straps. But at least she was still rf with her straps in the right slots!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 11-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #30
allhiskids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I coulda/shoulda been my kid. A kid of a single guy friend of ours. His dad had a tiny VW bug with no back seats. Same took bungee cords and strapped the seat sideways to the frame supports in the back of the van! Wow! and it was an overhead sheild that had the top straps removed only the crotch strap was there. So Chris stood in it and the slide down to a seated position. And Dad was proud!

Kathy Mama to Isaac 7-25 , Grace , Charlie , Heather
allhiskids is offline   Reply With Quote