View Poll Results: How, if at all, do you nurse in public?
I don't 1 1.35%
Discreetly/covered or in a private place. 13 17.57%
I cover or find solitude if possible 24 32.43%
Openly, anywhere/anytime & don't bother with a cover. 36 48.65%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2010, 02:00 AM   #31
mamayogibear
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Public nursing: How do you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigala View Post
I'm not going to apologize for feeding my child by wearing one of those "HEY, LOOK AT ME, I'M BREASTFEEDING" covers.
That's totally the way I feel mama!

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 03:55 AM   #32
PinkLadyJane
Registered Users

I used a nursing cover for the first few weeks as baby was crazy with my breast and I had to have the whole breast exposed for feedings. Now that we are comfortable I breastfeed the same almost every where. I live in Germany and whenever I am surrounded by Germans I do not bother to cover up. HOwever, when I am with my friends and their husbands are around I cover up. I think its respectful this way and saves me the comments from the weirdo husbands (well most of the comments at least). Hope that helps. (I also got sick of the nursing cover messing up my hair =P )
Old 11-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #33
ClemsonMama87
Registered Users
Formerly: macsmommy10
seller
seller

My Mood:

For the little bit of time that I BF before DD self-weaned, I might have worn a cover twice. Other than that, I didn't bother with it because she hated having something on her face and I hated having to cover her. I was doing something natural and didn't care what other people think. Plus, I live in a state where I can BF wherever!
ClemsonMama87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #34
calind115
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used the cover I made with oddand nursed her anywhere anytime she needed it. I didn't even have more then 1 nursing shirt. With the twins I ditched the nursing cape as soon as they learned to latch on well. Dh has let me buy a decent amount of nursing clothing this time around so it doesn't really matter where we are. I nurse walking thru the aisles at walmart
Old 11-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #35
brookglen
Registered Users

I really love my sling to nurse in public with. I have been known to escape to the car in certain situations although it sucks if we use valet because then the car isnt easily accessable . Eh, if I know it'll be a particularly large event, then I just pump and bring a bottle.

I can not believe how much shame is directed towards women and nursing in public.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #36
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted that I cover, but that usually ends up being only about half the time b/c DS pulls the cover off or tries to climb underneath with Jenna.

But in my state... BFing isn't nearly as supported or accepted. BFing WITH a cover in a public place (and I pull the cover out anywhere and nurse anytime) is often shocking to quite a few people. You just don't see it often, even if you're looking! And in the mall, I've had people 'inform' me that Motherhood will 'allow' you to nurse in their dressing rooms anytime. Well, that's just great, but I'm not there and here is just fine.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #37
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen View Post
I really love my sling to nurse in public with. I have been known to escape to the car in certain situations although it sucks if we use valet because then the car isnt easily accessable . Eh, if I know it'll be a particularly large event, then I just pump and bring a bottle.

I can not believe how much shame is directed towards women and nursing in public.
And you're in LA? I thought it was more widely acceptable there!

And my DH used to suggest going to the car but now that #3 is here, he doesn't care. Although I thought he was going to tackle an 18yr old boy who couldn't take his eyes off me... I think he was praying for an eyeful of boob! DH moved over between me and the boy and then stared him down until he quit staring.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #38
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm surprised to hear that people have trouble getting looks and so forth. I've only had people smile and keep walking. And the occasional older man (like yesterday at preschool somebody's grandpa came for our thanksgiving feast) just avert his eyes. I guess when I'm in a restaurant, my preference is to sit back in a corner so when I feed her I'm not in the main traffic area, but I'd feed her there too if I needed to. Up until about 10 years ago, I didn't know a single person who breastfed, and now I don't know anybody (IRL) who bottle feeds! Perhaps it is a regional thing?
megs715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #39
calind115
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Erica- That sounds exactly like something my dh would do.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #40
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs715 View Post
I'm surprised to hear that people have trouble getting looks and so forth. I've only had people smile and keep walking. And the occasional older man (like yesterday at preschool somebody's grandpa came for our thanksgiving feast) just avert his eyes. I guess when I'm in a restaurant, my preference is to sit back in a corner so when I feed her I'm not in the main traffic area, but I'd feed her there too if I needed to. Up until about 10 years ago, I didn't know a single person who breastfed, and now I don't know anybody (IRL) who bottle feeds! Perhaps it is a regional thing?
Def a regional thing! MIL thinks I'm nuts b/c I've nursed all three of mine. Everyone on her side and FIL's and the three previous grandchildren were all bottle formula fed. And she even said herself that she used bottles and formula b/c she didn't think her milk was good. Now, I'll admit that most of DH's extended family are barely HS graduates or drop-outs and they have little to no ambition and live off the gov't as much as possible... But there is a LOT of that here in KY and even in TN (we live close to the boarder). And if you're on a gov't program that's going to pay for formula, it makes it hard for some to even fathom BFing.

This might be helpful... In my state, less than 30% of women are still BFing by 6mo. I've BF'd my two previous babies beyond that point.