View Poll Results: How, if at all, do you nurse in public?
I don't 1 1.35%
Discreetly/covered or in a private place. 13 17.57%
I cover or find solitude if possible 24 32.43%
Openly, anywhere/anytime & don't bother with a cover. 36 48.65%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #41
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Public nursing: How do you do it?

Erica, thanks for that map, I'd never seen it before! It is interesting with all of the education we get here in Wa about breastfeeding, I just assumed that was all over the country, and the trend was nationwide. I'll have to look around online and see if I can find a map from 10 years ago. I'd love to see what the trend is.

Advertisement

megs715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #42
lifeabroad
Registered Users

I used a cover, but rarely looked for a private place. I only did that in situations where maybe I had a dress on and I'd be more exposed or whatever
Old 11-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #43
brookglen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 615marsh View Post
And you're in LA? I thought it was more widely acceptable there!

And my DH used to suggest going to the car but now that #3 is here, he doesn't care. Although I thought he was going to tackle an 18yr old boy who couldn't take his eyes off me... I think he was praying for an eyeful of boob! DH moved over between me and the boy and then stared him down until he quit staring.
I suppose in certain areas I feel more comfortable doing it (suburbs, Latin community, even the more wealthy hippie areas), but in the city everyone is uppity.

I'm slowly losing my modesty, I simply don't have the time or patience to care anymore, especially when Beekers is crying and hungry.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #44
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen View Post
I'm slowly losing my modesty, I simply don't have the time or patience to care anymore, especially when Beekers is crying and hungry.
That is the cutest nickname ever.
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #45
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen View Post
I suppose in certain areas I feel more comfortable doing it (suburbs, Latin community, even the more wealthy hippie areas), but in the city everyone is uppity.

Yep! Definitely losing the whole modesty issue! And I was raised Pentecostal, the whole long dresses and little exposure and all...

But yes, when the baby is hungry, you feed the baby! People look at you funny when you have a screaming kid, probably more so than if you were nursing! And I have SO MANY people comment on how good Jenna is, but I think it's b/c I keep her fed! I try and feed her quietly before she gets really worked up and hungry. Then if I am NIP it's not as obviously since she's not screaming her head off before hand!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #46
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use my peanut shell cover wherever I go. She doesnt mind it and i'm comfortable too.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #47
cheerkri
Banned

DS hates anyone or anything touching his head. He refuses the cover. *I* refuse the bathroom. And if people stare... I tell them to take a picture.
cheerkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #48
Sageac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerkri View Post
DS hates anyone or anything touching his head. He refuses the cover. *I* refuse the bathroom. And if people stare... I tell them to take a picture.
This is the best way I have heard it said! awesome... will try to get the guts to respond to people that stare...

Minimal, Communal, Earthy, Crafty Loving Single-Mama to C E : R and baby D

Last edited by Sageac; 12-13-2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Sageac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #49
mom2preston
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will nurse in a chair or whatever i can sit in...i have not mastered Breastfeeding while standing yet. I don't have a hooter hider and it's so hard with a blanket i just pretty much given up on that stuff so my shirt just hides my breast. I breastfeed with one breast a feeding most of the time unless i have supply issues, which is easier when NIP in my opinion.
mom2preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #50
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

I missed this poll when it was open, but thought I'd reply anyway. With DS1, I was so nervous about nursing. I wouldn't nurse him anywhere but home. Now with DS2, I'll nurse him pretty much anywhere. I use a cover if there are a lot of guys around or people who I think would be uncomfortable with my nursing. The rest of the time, I think it's discreet enough just using a nursing tank under a shirt--nothing shows unless DS decides to be a stinker and pop off suddenly.

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote