Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #21
OrganicWestCoastMama
Registered Users

Re: Making Woolies from Old Sweaters- Show me pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleleaf View Post
Katrina's longies pattern, modified to add booty panel. I cut the pattern so that it would have a little more booty room than the regular Katrina pattern. Because it doesn't have a seam down the middle of the bum, this works really well for appliques on the bum.
Littleleaf - THANKS for all of the info on different patterns & how they fit... how do you do your booty panel, is there a pattern (or piece of one) that you use? TIA!

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #22
NSB
Registered Users
seller

This is a favorite pair from a nice mid weight merino sweater.

Last edited by NSB; 12-18-2011 at 02:09 PM.
NSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #23
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's what I have in photobucket. Mine are nothing fancy or embellished.

recycled side snapping cover

and the action shot for these,

Last edited by slimy72; 11-27-2011 at 05:29 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #24
marisolstice
Registered Users
seller
seller

These are my favorite (since my kids are 1/8 Australian) . From a sweater I bought from Resweater and the Crescent Moon Yoga Pants pattern.

They're cuter on, but huge on DS, so will be his snow pants this year!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:33 AM   #25
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi,

I'm getting ready to take pictures today of my upcycled woolies. At this point I've made over 50 items and have learned a bunch of stuff, I'd like to share some with you.

1) Use the Katrina pattern BUT add about 1" to the rise in the back. It's in the shape of a triangle, so draw a line (on the pattern) from the hips to a point in the middle 1" higher than the point.

2) Narrow the crotch in the soaker pattern

3) Make sure the wetzone layer (for the soaker) is made of felted wool, cashmere has compression leaks without it. For the longies, use a hammock style - it's still the same hourglass shape, but extend the back up and then draw a straight line.

4) The waistband needs to be another 1" wide (not long) which accomodates a fluffy but, but can also be turned down which helps the soaker/longies fit longer - tighter on a skinny baby, folded up is looser on a larger baby

5) waistband out of sweater - I only use waistbands out of Nature's Fabric's lyrca/wool blend BUT before I went that route, I found that if I made the waistband into a casing and put elastic in it, it works so so so much better.

6) There's more, but I think that's good for now.

OH... and for longies, use the Katrina pattern OR a pair of pants that works well for your LO now, just trace them onto some paper. You'll like the results much more if you don't use the sleeves unless you've got really big sleeves. If you need to use the sleeves, cut them along the arm seam so you're working with a big piece of fabric.

And I love the flat cut kind too!

OK, last tip - I like only lightly felting my sweaters, but then taking a merino one that I don't like very much, felting it a bit more and using that for the wetzone.

PM me if you need pictures or more explanation!
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #26
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
Okay! I felted the sweaters and made my first attempts today! I think they actually came out pretty nice:

For the pair on the left I used the sweater arm method. The pair on the right is made from the Katrina soaker pattern, but I used the arms of the sweater in place of leg cuffs, and the collar of the sweater as a fold-down waistband. I made the actual soaker section double layered.

This was really fun and I can't WAIT to do more! Hopefully my sewing skills will improve and I'll be able to do nice appliques!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
I have really been wanting to try this. I picked up a bunch or sweaters and felted a few but they were SO thick I couldn't serge them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainmaine View Post
I"ll play!

Here's some for the newbie coming...

Here's a larger one my son used to wear

I think most of these are the katrina pattern - bu many of the ones I have are sleeves with elastic added to the waist - or others that I make up from what's available.

Wow! Wonderful job ladies!!
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #27
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
These are AMAZING! Did you make them? Did you score the sheep sweater at the thrift store?? LOVE IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahonycm View Post
Hi,

I'm getting ready to take pictures today of my upcycled woolies. At this point I've made over 50 items and have learned a bunch of stuff, I'd like to share some with you.

1) Use the Katrina pattern BUT add about 1" to the rise in the back. It's in the shape of a triangle, so draw a line (on the pattern) from the hips to a point in the middle 1" higher than the point.

2) Narrow the crotch in the soaker pattern

3) Make sure the wetzone layer (for the soaker) is made of felted wool, cashmere has compression leaks without it. For the longies, use a hammock style - it's still the same hourglass shape, but extend the back up and then draw a straight line.

4) The waistband needs to be another 1" wide (not long) which accomodates a fluffy but, but can also be turned down which helps the soaker/longies fit longer - tighter on a skinny baby, folded up is looser on a larger baby

5) waistband out of sweater - I only use waistbands out of Nature's Fabric's lyrca/wool blend BUT before I went that route, I found that if I made the waistband into a casing and put elastic in it, it works so so so much better.

6) There's more, but I think that's good for now.

OH... and for longies, use the Katrina pattern OR a pair of pants that works well for your LO now, just trace them onto some paper. You'll like the results much more if you don't use the sleeves unless you've got really big sleeves. If you need to use the sleeves, cut them along the arm seam so you're working with a big piece of fabric.

And I love the flat cut kind too!

OK, last tip - I like only lightly felting my sweaters, but then taking a merino one that I don't like very much, felting it a bit more and using that for the wetzone.

PM me if you need pictures or more explanation!
Thanks for these great tips! I am getting back into recycled woolies after a summer hiatus and interlock sticker shock!
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #28
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicWestCoastMama View Post
Littleleaf - THANKS for all of the info on different patterns & how they fit... how do you do your booty panel, is there a pattern (or piece of one) that you use? TIA!
I just modified the Katrina longies pattern to make a cutout and a little extra booty room. Actually, I've also found that it helps to add a little extra crotch room to the Katrina pattern for better movement - again, I just tweaked the katrina pattern a bit. I've also made some where I've added a little circle/oval gusset, which helps when you're using the sweater sleeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisolstice View Post
These are my favorite (since my kids are 1/8 Australian) . From a sweater I bought from Resweater and the Crescent Moon Yoga Pants pattern.

They're cuter on, but huge on DS, so will be his snow pants this year!
Those are AWESOME!!! What a great sweater find (Kris of Resweater is amazing, isn't she?)
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #29
reybar-2009
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleleaf View Post
Well, I'm not going to inundate you with pics, but I just wanted to show you how a could different patterns/methods look:

Katrina's longies pattern. It's a straight leg cut (boot cut), with good amount of booty room, although you might want to add a bit if your wool doesn't have much stretch and you're using bulky diapers (e.g. night). I find that this pattern is a bit tight if you use poly fleece, so if something has less stretch than fleece, I'd size up.

Katrina's longies pattern, modified to add booty panel. I cut the pattern so that it would have a little more booty room than the regular Katrina pattern. Because it doesn't have a seam down the middle of the bum, this works really well for appliques on the bum.

Flat-cut longies with side seams. This pattern gives a little less booty room, and also has equal rise in the front and back.

Using the sweater sleeves. If the sweater has a taper, then you're going to get tapered-leg longies. The sleeves also work really well for making footies too, since you need to taper the leg down by the ankle anyway. Exactly how much booty room you get depends on how you cut the material, but generally, you'll get less booty room than the Katrina pattern.
hello mama did youknow where can I find a pattern for the booty pannel on longies. I have been looking every where and I cant find a pattern with that style. I use katrinas pattern but I really want to make a couple of longies on that style THANKS
Old 12-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #30
soon2b3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What type of thread do you use?