Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #31
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Making Woolies from Old Sweaters- Show me pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
These are AMAZING! Did you make them? Did you score the sheep sweater at the thrift store?? LOVE IT.

No it didn't come from a thirft store. Dh and I raise sheep and my mom and I are both handspinners. So we collect sheepy items. She found it at one of her spinning swap meets and bought it for my dh. We had it for about 6 years and dh had never worn it (not a sweater person) so I cut it into longies. I think my mom may have cried a little when I cut them up to be a "diaper". She thinks it's crazy to spend time and money on diaper covers.

Advertisement

slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #32
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh, and I use 100% polyester thread so I don't have any wicking through cotton thread.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #33
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reybar-2009 View Post
hello mama did youknow where can I find a pattern for the booty pannel on longies. I have been looking every where and I cant find a pattern with that style. I use katrinas pattern but I really want to make a couple of longies on that style THANKS
I've heard of the crescent moon yoga pants pattern, but I've never used it myself.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #34
reybar-2009
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleleaf View Post
I've heard of the crescent moon yoga pants pattern, but I've never used it myself.
thanks mama
Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #35
karray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what is your method of lightly felting your wool? I wanted to keep it on the light side, but not sure how to control it. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahonycm View Post
Hi,

I'm getting ready to take pictures today of my upcycled woolies. At this point I've made over 50 items and have learned a bunch of stuff, I'd like to share some with you.

1) Use the Katrina pattern BUT add about 1" to the rise in the back. It's in the shape of a triangle, so draw a line (on the pattern) from the hips to a point in the middle 1" higher than the point.

2) Narrow the crotch in the soaker pattern

3) Make sure the wetzone layer (for the soaker) is made of felted wool, cashmere has compression leaks without it. For the longies, use a hammock style - it's still the same hourglass shape, but extend the back up and then draw a straight line.

4) The waistband needs to be another 1" wide (not long) which accomodates a fluffy but, but can also be turned down which helps the soaker/longies fit longer - tighter on a skinny baby, folded up is looser on a larger baby

5) waistband out of sweater - I only use waistbands out of Nature's Fabric's lyrca/wool blend BUT before I went that route, I found that if I made the waistband into a casing and put elastic in it, it works so so so much better.

6) There's more, but I think that's good for now.

OH... and for longies, use the Katrina pattern OR a pair of pants that works well for your LO now, just trace them onto some paper. You'll like the results much more if you don't use the sleeves unless you've got really big sleeves. If you need to use the sleeves, cut them along the arm seam so you're working with a big piece of fabric.

And I love the flat cut kind too!

OK, last tip - I like only lightly felting my sweaters, but then taking a merino one that I don't like very much, felting it a bit more and using that for the wetzone.

PM me if you need pictures or more explanation!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #36
Mom2jacobryan
Registered Users

You guys have inspired me.
Mom2jacobryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #37
bcarroll9494
Registered Users
seller
seller

have fun, mama! It is such a fun/easy project. I use the same width of the waistband for the leg cuffs too (usually)

Unique hand-dyed diapers and more.

Last edited by bcarroll9494; 12-31-2011 at 09:46 AM.
bcarroll9494 is offline   Reply With Quote